× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS110EMX Link Aggregation with ASUS XT9

mbrossart
Aspirant

GS110EMX Link Aggregation with ASUS XT9

I’m trying to set up link aggregation on my GS110EMX to an ASUS XT9.  I follow the instructions for the GS110EMX and the XT9.  The process seems to work.  The switch reports that the LAG is up.  Traffic generally routes, but some connections stop working.  

• Ethernet backhaul stops working on my mesh nodes (also XT9s).
  • I can’t connect to the GS110EMX
  • I have a TiVo box that drops off the network.

I can’t tell if this is an issue on the NETGEAR side or the ASUS side or if it’s an incompatibility connecting a switch to a router.  Set-up on both sides is pretty straight forward.  The only prerequisite seems to be that each device supports 802.3ad.

• I assign ports 7 & 8 to LAD ID 1 / ch1
  • I enable LAG ID 1 with LACP
  • I enable link aggregation on my ASUS router
  • I connect ports 7 & 8 on the switch to ports 2 & 3 on the router (as prescribed by ASUS documentation).
  • After configuring
    • LAG Status on the switch shows up.
    • Ports 7 & 8 show connected at 1000M Full
    • Link lights flicker on the switch on both ports 7 & 8 like traffic is flowing, but periodically, the link lights rock slowly back and forth between ports 7 & 8.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS110EMX Link Aggregation with ASUS XT9

Don't know anything about this Asus TX9.

Assuming Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) LAG is correct for the TX9, here again I have to repeat LACP the LAG config it's not applicable or available on the GS110EMX - only static LAG can be configured.

Message 2 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Correction - the GS110EMX does support LACP LAG configuration. The mode can be selected by LAG ID, don't forget to enable the LAG, and ensure the port memberships do not overlap with other LAGs. Sorry, my confusion. I've mixed up the config options with another Plus switch model.

Message 3 of 10
mbrossart
Aspirant

I’m starting to think my link aggregation is not stable, but I don’t know how to tell what the issue is.

I think the link lights rocking back and forth are indicative of some error state.  Are there any logs on this switch that anyone’s aware of?

Message 4 of 10
mbrossart
Aspirant

Okay, I have a few more data points.  My main questions are these:

• On a GS110EMX, what does it mean when the link lights toggle back and forth in a slow, methodical fashion?
  • On a GS108T, what does it mean when a link light goes out and does not come back on without rebooting the switch.
  • Is there anywhere to go to get more details about what’s failing?

So, I’ve got my hands on a GS108T which also does link aggregation.  Here’s what I’m testing and seeing.

• I can put two ports in link aggregation on the GS110EMX and the GS108T, wire them up, and they work great.  Seems to be an issue with interaction with the XT9.
  • When I connect the GS108T to the XT9, both in link aggregation mode, the ports will light up for about 5 seconds, flitter and then go dark.  They won’t come back unless you reboot the switch.
    • There are no indications that a loop existed on either linked port.  Nothing I can find tells me why the ports were deactivated nor allows me to reactivate the port logically.
  • Similarly, when I connect the GS110EMX to the XT9 in link aggregation, the link lights flicker a bit, then rock back and forth in a slow steady pattern, then they flicker a bit more, then back to the rocking back and forth, and the pattern persists.  No indication why it’s doing this other than the behavior itself.
  • I can connect one cable between the link aggregated ports on the switch and the router.  It connects, sends traffic and doesn’t move into the slow rocking pattern.  If I try the same test with the GS108T and get a similar result:  The port does not turn off.  I do see my mesh nodes revert to WiFi backhaul versus wired when I do this.
  • Like the switches, logging on the XT9 is pretty minimal.  It does say that it established link aggregation, but it reports nothing relative to switching after that.
  • One interesting difference between the GS110EMX and the GS108T is that the GS110EMX reports the link is up, even when exhibiting the odd link light behavior.  The GS108T reports that the link aggregation is down.

Any thoughts or insights greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 10
schumaku
Guru

When I have it right, most smaller Plus switches like the GS108E (and the GS110EMX if I remember right) don't have a strict monitoring on the LACP LAG status. The Web UI does show the LAG on when the LAG is configured logically.

Very different, as you already experienced, the smart switches like the GS108T are more advanced and informative in this context.

Have checked the Linux bonding status on this Asus XT9?

# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0

Can't get rid of the impression the peer ports are not properly LACP enabled, the wrong port pair is plugged, or the like.

Message 6 of 10
mbrossart
Aspirant

cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0 shows both legs up on the partner device.

Looking at the General Log, I see the following line item just after plugging in the cables:

Bonding:  Successfully.

I read an article that said to be sure the port speeds, duplex, MTU and Flow Control match on both sides on each port.

• I can verify the speed and duplex are 1000M-Full on each port and on each side.
  • I’ve turned Flow Control on and off on the switch and get the same result.
  • I can’t tell what the MTU is on the router.  The switch lists the Max MTU at 10240, and it’s not configurable.  I don’t know if this is an issue or not.
Message 7 of 10
mbrossart
Aspirant

xxxxxxxxx@xxx:/tmp/home/root# cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0

Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.7.1 (April 27, 2011)

Bonding Mode: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation

Transmit Hash Policy: layer3+4 (1)

MII Status: up

MII Polling Interval (ms): 100

Up Delay (ms): 0

Down Delay (ms): 0

802.3ad info

LACP rate: fast

Min links: 0

Aggregator selection policy (ad_select): count

System priority: 65535

System MAC address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Active Aggregator Info:

Aggregator ID: 4

Number of ports: 2

Actor Key: 9

Partner Key: 1

Partner Mac Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Slave Interface: eth2

Speed: 1000 Mbps

Duplex: full

Link Failure Count: 5

Permanent HW addr: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Slave queue ID: 0

Actor Churn State: monitoring

Partner Churn State: monitoring

Actor Churned Count: 2

Partner Churned Count: 3

details actor lacp pdu:

system priority: 65535

system mac address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

port key: 9

port priority: 255

port number: 1

port state: 63

details partner lacp pdu:

oper key: 1

port number: 7

port state: 61

Slave Interface: eth3

Speed: 1000 Mbps

Duplex: full

Link Failure Count: 5

Permanent HW addr: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Slave queue ID: 0

Actor Churn State: monitoring

Partner Churn State: monitoring

Actor Churned Count: 1

Partner Churned Count: 5

details actor lacp pdu:

port key: 9

port number: 2

port state: 63

details partner lacp pdu:

oper key: 1

port number: 8

port state: 61

xxxxxxxx@xxx:/tmp/home/root#

Message 8 of 10
mbrossart
Aspirant

Is there any way to modify the Max MTU on a GS110EMX?  I don’t see anywhere on the GUI to do it.  Is there a CLI?  I’ve not seen a way to SSL/TelNet into a GS110EMX.

Comparing notes with another user who has established LAG between a NetGear switch and an ASUS router, our configurations are nearly identical, except that his Max MTU is 9000 and mine is 10240.  It may be a red herring as connectivity between my switch and my router is fine without LAG, and the MTU settings are the same.  I’m not sure if LAG makes it more sensitive to MTU or if it has nothing to do with MTU.

Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@mbrossart wrote:

Is there any way to modify the Max MTU on a GS110EMX?  I don’t see anywhere on the GUI to do it.  Is there a CLI?  I’ve not seen a way to SSL/TelNet into a GS110EMX.

None of this, ways out of scope for an unmanaged switch (what the GS110EMX is, or for the sake also the GS810EMX are). 

The max MTU 10240 shown per port is the maximum frame size the GSx10EMX can handle.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements