× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308E Speed problem

GS308E Speed problem

I have google fiber for my ISP.  The line coming into the house is connected to a Google Wifi point serving as a modem.  There is an ethernet port on the Google Wifi that I have plugged into my GS308E (into port 😎 and I can see that the speed coming into the switch is 1000M but the two connections I have out to other PCs in the house are only showing 100M (set to auto) and there is no option to select 1000M.  I am using cat 5e cable, (which I built myself) which from what I've read should be sufficient for a 1000M connection.  Is this problem being caused by my cables or am I missing something else?  I'm a novice to this so I apologize if I am asking dumb questions.  I appreciate any advice you can give me

Thank you

novicenetwork

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: GS308E Speed problem

Glad to see it was a cable issue. 

You might mark it solved so others aren't still trying to fix it then 🙂

I haven't had a whole lot of issues with cat 6 cables but cat 5e its been hit or miss. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

do your computer support gigabit?

try using a good quality cat 6 cable. I've seen sketchy cat 5e default back to the 10/100mbps and not gigabit. 

Not saying you do sketchy work but it only takes a poor crimp or strip to cause issues. 

Message 2 of 12

Thank you for the reply.  Both PCs that I am wired to support gigabit.  I think I might have some cat6 patch cables around.  I can give that a try.  I hope that's not the problem, I already have some cat 5e cable and crimps that I was planning on using.  

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

I've been seeing it more often where cat 5e cables not connecting at gigabit. Tends to be with lower quality cable or even self crimped ones. (I'm even at fault for the self crimped ones)

Message 4 of 12

So is there a recommended Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable brand that I can trust?  I have new "pass-thru" connectors and a Klein tools crimper on the way to me, should be delivered today.  Maybe I should look into cat 6 cable if you have any advice on a brand?  I've bought Cable Matters brand for all my ethernet wall outlets.  They are in-line couplers so that I don't have to do a bunch of punch down connections.  

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Thats a tough one. I usually say just buy good quality cables but lately, I've even seen good quality ones that have a bad connection. 

Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@novicenetwork 

I buy only solid copper cables, both CAT5e and CAT6. I have one 40 feet long old CAT5e cable connecting two NETGEAR switches at 10G. Yes, pass-thru connectors and Klein tools are the way to go!

Message 7 of 12

Great advice, thank you!  I tried a cat 6 cable last night and sure enough, I saw the switch change on that port to 1000M.  So now I just have to sift through all the options on Amazon and hopefully pick a good, solid copper cat 6 cable so I can build my own custom lengths.  

Message 8 of 12
plemans
Guru

Glad to see it was a cable issue. 

You might mark it solved so others aren't still trying to fix it then 🙂

I haven't had a whole lot of issues with cat 6 cables but cat 5e its been hit or miss. 

Message 9 of 12

Thank you for the advice.  I marked it as solved, I think...lol    I might come back here because I am trying to bring the fiber into my house, then run it from my managed GS308E to three rooms and two of those rooms need multiple connections (game systems, TVs, etc) so I am taking those connections and terminating them into GS308 unmanaged switches.  Not sure what problems I am going to run into with DHCP issues, things like that.  🙂

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

the unmanaged switches are pretty plug and play. 

I've installed a ton of them without issues. 

Message 11 of 12

Thank you for your advice as well.  I'm very glad I got on here for some advice from actual users.  🙂

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements