× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308E & Unifi AP vLAN

securutybyte
Aspirant

GS308E & Unifi AP vLAN

Hi

I have a Unifi AP and I am trying to assign vLANs to my wireless networks. I am using a Netgear GS308E smart managed switch and an Untangle router.

The router is plugged into port 1 of the switch and the AP is plugged into port 8. I have a wired vLAN (vLAN 20) on port 2 for POE security cameras, which works fine. However, I am struggling to get my head around how to achieve the same with the Unifi AP. I want to assign the vLAN based on the wireless network SSID, so I guess the switch needs to pass the vLAN through or something?

The main wifi network (without a vLAN) works, but if I specify a vLAN then the device is unable to get an IP.

I have attached some diagrams. Please can someone kindly advise what combination of Tags/Untags/blanks I need on vLAN30 in order for devices to connect to the 'TEST IOT' wireless network?

Note, I have not configured any 'Networks' in the Unifi controller as I believe these are only required if you have a Unifi switch or gateway.

Thanks

Mike

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS308E & Unifi AP vLAN

@securutybyte,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having issues with the VLAN configuration of your switch going to your AP. I saw that your VLAN 30 doesn't have any members. You must tag the port of the switch on port 8(AP) and also your uplink(port 1) for VLAN 30 and leave the PVID to 1.

Basically, if the device is VLAN aware, you always need to tag the port in order for the VLANs to pass through properly. We only use Untag for devices that don't support any VLANs.

I hope this helps 🙂

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
securutybyte
Aspirant

Don't seem to be able to add a second diagram to above post, so here it is.

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Key problem here isn't the Netgear switch - obvious one does run each VLAN (probably expect the base VLAN 1) so VLAN 20 (surveillance),  and much more VLAN 30 from the router to the UI AP is run tagged, and the router doing DHCP, routing, NATing, for the x.x.30.x IP subnet - very similar to your surveillance VLAN 20.

The point with Unifi is _always_ that users don't see what is technically configured under the hood when setting up e.g. a "network", an "SSID". So much more problem understanding Unifi's control. Interestingly, these questions always hit the Netgear community.

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@securutybyte,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having issues with the VLAN configuration of your switch going to your AP. I saw that your VLAN 30 doesn't have any members. You must tag the port of the switch on port 8(AP) and also your uplink(port 1) for VLAN 30 and leave the PVID to 1.

Basically, if the device is VLAN aware, you always need to tag the port in order for the VLANs to pass through properly. We only use Untag for devices that don't support any VLANs.

I hope this helps 🙂

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
securutybyte
Aspirant

Hi John

Thank you! That fixed it 🙂

I'd removed all the vLAN30 members after my last failed attempt. Where I had been going wrong is that I had been changing the PVID too.

Cheers

Mike

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements