× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308T Uses Internally Created SSL Certificates Instead of Certificates That I Upload

tmcarr1138
Initiate

GS308T Uses Internally Created SSL Certificates Instead of Certificates That I Upload

I have a GS308T on Boot Version 1.0.0.1 and Software Version 1.0.5.6.  After disabling HTTPS Admin Mode, I went to the Maintenance > Update > HTTP Firmware/File Update menu, I have uploaded my certificate authority/intermediate authority PEM file using the "X.509 Public Certificate PEM" File Type.  I also uploaded the server certificate/key PEM that I generated for the switch using the "X.509 Certificate Private Key PEM" File Type.  I also generated a 512 bit Weak DH PEM file and a 1024 bit Strong DH PEM file and uploaded both file types using the same menu.

After doing all of this, I enable Admin Mode in HTTPS and then try navigating to the switch using HTTPS.  I get a warning from my browser about a self-signed certificate.  When I view the details of the certificate, it isn't the certificate information that I uploaded, it is from one that appears to have been automatically generated by the switch.

I know it is possible to do this because I did it last year when I first generated the certificates.  I thought I followed the same process after renewing the certificates and trying to upload them again.  However, even if I use the old certificates, the system always defaults to certs generated by the switch.  The only thing that has changed is that I'm on a newer Software Version.  Has anyone been able to successfully upload their own certs on a GS308T?

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
tmcarr1138
Initiate

Re: GS308T Uses Internally Created SSL Certificates Instead of Certificates That I Upload

It appears that I have found the issue.  The "X.509 Public Certificate PEM" shouldn't be my certificate authority/intermediate authority but rather just the certificate created for the switch.  The "X.509 Certificate Private Key" shouldn't be the combined switch certificate and the key but rather just the key.

I had read some other topics on this issue in another forum that appear to have not been the correct instructions.  I thought they would be similar because it was a similar product but that was not the case.  Once I uploaded the Public Cert and the Private Key as well as the DH files and then enabled HTTPS, everything was working as expected.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
tmcarr1138
Initiate

Re: GS308T Uses Internally Created SSL Certificates Instead of Certificates That I Upload

It appears that I have found the issue.  The "X.509 Public Certificate PEM" shouldn't be my certificate authority/intermediate authority but rather just the certificate created for the switch.  The "X.509 Certificate Private Key" shouldn't be the combined switch certificate and the key but rather just the key.

I had read some other topics on this issue in another forum that appear to have not been the correct instructions.  I thought they would be similar because it was a similar product but that was not the case.  Once I uploaded the Public Cert and the Private Key as well as the DH files and then enabled HTTPS, everything was working as expected.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements