× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS308e still has DHCP bug :(

PapaPeteH
Guide

GS308e still has DHCP bug :(

I just ran into a painful issue (painful because it is NOT obvious, and is only solved by on-premise activity.)

My less-than-one-year-old nice new GS308e smart switch "permanently" disappeared (from a mangement perspective) from our LAN. It's running the current firmware (1.00.11)

Yes, running the management app suddenly woke it up and caused the DHCP client to re-obtain its IP address.

And yes, it reverted to the default 192.168.0.238 address, which is invalid on our network.

From previous discussions, the problem is that if the switch can't see a DHCP server for 2+ hours, it reverts to a default configuration and never tries again. That's quite obviously a serious problem.

This bug has been around for a number of years. The last discussion of this had a Netgear rep saying it would be fixed on "new" switches but not old. My switch has a five year warranty.

TWO QUESTIONS

1) Is there any chance this bug will be fixed?

2) If I reconfigure from DHCP to a static IP, will the switch reliably remain accessible? 

(Suggestion: if the switch can't access its gateway IP, or see responses etc, perhaps it ought to revert to the saved configuration occasionally, and "phone home" via DHCP if that's set up, or at least generate some ARP or ICMP traffic 😉 )

Thanks for any hints or thoughts!

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS308e still has DHCP bug :(

@PapaPeteH wrote:

From previous discussions, the problem is that if the switch can't see a DHCP server for 2+ hours, it reverts to a default configuration and never tries again. That's quite obviously a serious problem.

For the moment, from what i understood, it's a design decision for the simplistic dhcpd.

The similar implemented Smart Managed Plus Switches eg. GS110EMX, GS108E or GS105PE we're operating with the disabled dhcp (read a static IP config) remain nicely workable in my deployments. But I admit the other Plus switches here with dhcp remain reachable, due to a rock solid network and dhcp environment, too.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS308e still has DHCP bug :(

@PapaPeteH wrote:

For the moment, from what i understood, it's a design decision for the simplistic dhcpd.

The similar implemented Smart Managed Plus Switches eg. GS110EMX, GS108E or GS105PE we're operating with the disabled dhcp (read a static IP config) remain nicely workable in my deployments. But I admit the other Plus switches here with dhcp remain reachable, due to a rock solid network and dhcp environment, too.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements