× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS316EP Traffic Management problem - Switch limits throughput after a time automatically

micliner
Aspirant

GS316EP Traffic Management problem - Switch limits throughput after a time automatically

Hi community,

my configuration is built of 2x GS316EP switches connected together using port 1.

One switch is placed in the cellar, one switch is placed in a room on the 1st floor.

The distance is approx 25m (cabling distance).

During normal operations the throughput is as expected, but after about 2 weeks the switch on the first floor limits the throughput automatically to approx. 10% of the throughput before.

QoS settings are port based with Broadcast filtering enabled.

Rate / Storm control is set to no limit.

Priority control is not in use, all ports have the same priority (medium).  

The switches are both on the latest firmware version 1.0.3.7.

There are no CRC errors and all other diagnostic tests show that ports are OK and there is no loop.

I assume it is the switch on the first floor, because when I reboot this switch the throughput si back, but when I reboot the switch in the cellar nothing changes.

I have searched the documentation and the internet as well as the Netgear community site, but I have not found any information how to remediate this problem. 

Anybody any idea?

many thanks

mic

Message 1 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS316EP Traffic Management problem - Switch limits throughput after a time automatically

Hello Mic,

The only thing coming into my mind is that the link between the two switches (or the link to the device you testing the speed with!) does re-renegotiate and fall back to Fast Ethernet, actively using just to of the four wire pairs.

System -> Management -> Port Status ... Linked Speed

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 2 of 13
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS316EP Traffic Management problem - Switch limits throughput after a time automatically

Hi @micliner,

Aside from @schumaku' suggestion, you may want to try to isolate the problem by connecting another LAN (wired) device which uses a shorter cable length /or just a different one and see if the problem persists.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 13
micliner
Aspirant

I'll have a look and see what happens if the problem occurs again.
At the moment it is still running at full throughput.

many thx

mic

Message 4 of 13
micliner
Aspirant

Good catch ...

Isolating the problem is always agood idea and something I try first.

I have already tried some troubleshooting, but I have not posted what I have tried - sorry for that, maybe I should have posted my troubleshooting steps with the first post.

I tried to keep a long story short otherwise the post would have been a very long letter.

I have two Laptops for "mobile" troubleshooting, that I can use.

One is a Mac the other one is Windows 10 based.

Both have Gigabit Ethernet. 

Before the switch on the first floor turned out to be the problem bear, I tried the following:

1.  Tried to do performance tests (both Laptops) with 2m cables with the switch located in the cellar

> full throughput

2.  Tried the same with the switch on the 1st floor

> limited throughput

I tried different cables to rule out a faulty cable.

3. Reboot the cellar switch and re-test the switch on the first floor (Perf Test Number 2)

> nothing changed

4. Reboot the switch on the first floor and re-test the switch on the first floor (Perf Test Number 2)

> full throughput  

I then tried to find a setting on the switch on the 1st floor that could trigger the behavior.
Since I couldn't find anything, I asked in the forum (initial post).

thx

mic

Message 5 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@micliner wrote:

I have two Laptops for "mobile" troubleshooting, that I can use.

One is a Mac the other one is Windows 10 based.

Both have Gigabit Ethernet. 

Much more interesting would be what the switch port status show on each switch Web UI.

Message 6 of 13
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @micliner,

Were you able to check the switch port status shown in the web interface?

Kind regards,

Message 7 of 13
micliner
Aspirant

If you mean this ... yes

micliner_0-1706203544460.png

This is true for all ports except the rpinter which is not able to do 1000m Full.

Message 8 of 13
micliner
Aspirant

They are both connected with these options

micliner_0-1706203716349.png

So far it still works with full bandwidth.

I´m still waiting for the problem to occur again.

Message 9 of 13
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @micliner,

Just update this thread whenever the issue occurs again together with the screenshot and maybe the switch log file.

Kind regards,

Message 10 of 13
micliner
Aspirant

So far, the problem has not recurred.

@BrianL:

Since this is a GS316EP, how do I get a switch log file from it?

many thanks

mic

Message 11 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@micliner wrote:

@BrianL:

Since this is a GS316EP, how do I get a switch log file from it?

Nothing the like even exists on these classic Plus switches, which are built on an unmanaged core and a tiny 8051-class micro controller holding the very basic Web UI, and the code for the Netgear Switch Discovery Protocol acessible by the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility, pure legacy (!), available as v2.7.8 via older model downloads, like https://www.netgear.com/support/product/jgs524pe#download - requiring Windows systems, requiring a workable installation of Npcap (currrent, legacy API), and the switch configured to allow Switch Management Mode, Web browser and Plus Utility and File Transfer via Plus Utility (TFTP) enabled, too. And yes, this does indeed all work on recent Windows 11 64-bit installations in February 2024. Still no switch log, even for old hardcore engineers 8-)

Message 12 of 13
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @micliner,

My apologies as this model can't generate logs. Anyway, this is only being experienced on the switch from the first floor and not on the one from the cellar, right? Have you considered switching them to see if the same behavior is being experienced? I don't think there is something wrong with the switches though as the problem only happens every two weeks.

Kind regards, 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements