× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS348T switch repeatedly stuck without any reason

FMJ999
Aspirant

GS348T switch repeatedly stuck without any reason

Hello

This switch has been in production since march 2021. It's setup is quite simple : it only uses VLAN segmentation (x13). So during 3 months it has been working very well. But yesterday, it was stuck 2 times (in 8h) :

> Port LEDs were static

> Impossible to ping the switch itself

> It worked again with an electrical reboot

Its setup has changed for a while, excepted some port WLAN changes but not during the very last days. There's no L2 loop and its firmware is up-to-date.

I can't diagnose anything : the switch doesn't produce any crash logs.

I'm going to change it but if you have any idea about the causes of this issue, thank you in advance.

Model: GS348T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS348T switch repeatedly stuck without any reason

@FMJ999,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you are having issues with the switch. May I know how many devices are connected to the switch? Please make sure that the flow control is disabled and also the STP/RSTP is enabled to avoid loops.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
FMJ999
Aspirant

Hello @ JohnC_V and thank you for your interest,

There're 34 devices connected to this switch, and only one port is connected to another switch. As I don't see how a loop could happen with this settingn I didn't activate the L2 Loop Protection mode (it's a smart switch, so there's none "visible" STP or RSTP setting). But the anti-storm mechanism is activated.

I've received an assistance from Netgear support but they didn't detect anything anormal in the switch configuration. And there's none log relative to this incident. They told me if another stuck episode would happen again, they will change the switch.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@FMJ999 wrote:

There're 34 devices connected to this switch, and only one port is connected to another switch. As I don't see how a loop could happen with this settingn I didn't activate the L2 Loop Protection mode (it's a smart switch, so there's none "visible" STP or RSTP setting). But the anti-storm mechanism is activated.

Assuming the GS348T model designation is correct, the STP and RSTP config are under Switching > STP > Basic > STP Configuration resp. t Switching > STP > Advanced

I would avoid and at least temporarily disabling any kind of anti-storm protection.

Message 4 of 5
FMJ999
Aspirant

Thank you @schumaku . Yes, you're right. STP is enable, and RSTP also.

I will try to disable temporary the anti-storm config.

But once again, I don't see how we could have a L2 loop. Much more when this is occasional. We have a star L2 architecture, with 1 port by inter-switches link. No LAG.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements