× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSS116e switch - management console ip reverts to default after week

far1
Aspirant

GSS116e switch - management console ip reverts to default after week

Hi there,

I have a few managed switches model GSS116e.  They are all current bootloader+firmware (1.0.0.5+1.6.1.7).

The router has DHCP address reservations for them so they always get assigned the same ip address when they boot up.

However after a week or so, they all fall off the network.  By using the discovery tool, I can see that they revert to their default ip address 192.168.0.239!

far1_0-1710834255715.png

How do I spot this happening?  The router assignment is fine, none of the other ~50 devices on the network do this, just the netgear switches.

I don't want to assign fixed ip addresses.  Not a single other device on the network is fixed ip.

I was googling locking the management console to an ip - is this the best resolution?  Any advice welcome!

Thanks loads, Far

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: GSS116e switch - management console ip reverts to default after week

@far1 wrote:

I have a few managed switches model GSS116e.  

By far neither a Smart Managed, nor a Managed Switch, a Plus switch with basic config features.

@far1 wrote:

The router has DHCP address reservations for them so they always get assigned the same ip address when they boot up.

... However after a week or so, they all fall off the network.  By using the discovery tool, I can see that they revert to their default ip address 192.168.0.239! 

The key reason is these Plus switches are booting very fast on a short power failure. Because of the very simple uC IP stack and dhclient - especially if the connection to the router dhcp server is temporary lost - it does not wait very long, does not retry, and fall back to the default IP address very quick.

@far1 wrote:

I don't want to assign fixed ip addresses. 

Understood, much to inflexible of course.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements