× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JGS516PE using VLAN for Management Interface

mikedeck
Follower

JGS516PE using VLAN for Management Interface

I have a JGS516PE Smart Managed Plus switch that I have configured with three VLANs. I've configured the port that connects to my router to 'T' for the three VLANs and 'U' for the default VLAN (01). The PVID for the port is 1.

I would like to have the switch itself use the default VLAN for its own management interface, however it's getting an IP address for the 20 VLAN. That implies to me that the DHCP requests its sending are tagged with VLAN ID 20.

I don't see any management VLAN configuration in any of the settings screens, and I did a factory reset before re-configuring all my VLANs. Is this normal behavior or is there a setting somewhere I can use to ensure the switch uses untagged traffic for its management interface?

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: JGS516PE using VLAN for Management Interface

Most of the Plus switches are not built around a managed core, and don't support a management VLAN. 

Message 2 of 6
brianegge
Aspirant

I'm running into the same issue. I have the router getting it's IP via DHCP and it switched to a different LAN. I thought maybe it was just trying to get DHCP from the highest port (16), so I made my uplink port 16. Same issue. 

It's not critical - just odd. The VLANs for the devices all work OK. I'd prefer the VLANs to not have access to the management interface, but that seems unavoidable here. I'm running firmware 2.6.0.48, which is the latest available.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@brianegge wrote:

It's not critical - just odd. The VLANs for the devices all work OK. I'd prefer the VLANs to not have access to the management interface, but that seems unavoidable here.

Correct. And nothing we can do or change. Thank you for reading and understanding of what some community members explain here.

Message 4 of 6
brianegge
Aspirant

I'd like to figure out if it will work if I set the switch to use a static IP on the management vlan.  But I'm worried if I try it and it doesn't work, I'll have a difficult time changing it back. 

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Nothing you can loose doing the experiment - nothing will change with the static IP assignment however: Still the same uC listening on the very same L2 network, the IP stack is operating untagged in the same broadcast domain.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements