× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MS108EUP fails to pass/provide DHCP

waldo15
Aspirant

MS108EUP fails to pass/provide DHCP

I have a Multi-gig managed switch (MS108EUP) that is servicing my home network. It is connected to a pfsense appliance and, at the moment, the switch is configured in basic "dumb" or unmanaged mode.

I have had a couple of times an issue where the Router gets into an odd mode where it blocks the DHCP services from the pfsense firewall and all devices connected to the switch loose network connectivity since they all loose their IP address. The firewall is still up and running and I can confirm that is functional by disconnecting the switch, connecting my laptop directly to the LAN port of the firewall and confirming I can get an IP address from it and have full network connectivity.

From the system logs in my firewall I did not see any message from the DCHP service that could help me figure out why it broke but I am now actively monitoring it just in case I see it happen again.

The only way I have to recover the switch is by power-cycling it. Once power is back the switch functions as expected. 

Any recommendations/ideas to root cause and solve this problem are welcomed.

Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: MS108EUP fails to pass/provide DHCP

@waldo15 wrote:

I have a Multi-gig managed switch (MS108EUP) that is servicing my home network. It is connected to a pfsense appliance and, at the moment, the switch is configured in basic "dumb" or unmanaged mode.

There is no such mode. Default is VLAN 1 enabled, VLAN untagged, PVID 1 for all ports is the default. This is what I expect on a random (undefined) VLAN on the NO VLAN config.

What is configured on this pfsense device exactly please?

Message 2 of 7
waldo15
Aspirant

Thank you Schumaku for the prompt reply. I may have used a poor choice of words to describe the switch as in "dumb" mode. What I was referring to was the switch is in near basic basic configuration where I did not explicitly changed options or modified settings other than a couple of general options that should not interfere with IP addresses. System is as follows:

Pfsense firewall is set to its most basic configuration: no VLANs, LAN port configured with DHCP server using 192.168.1.X IP pool of addresses. LAN port of the firewall connected to one port in the switch. All devices connected to the switch are able to obtain an IP address without any problems when the switch is in its functional state.

Switch config: near out-of-the box configuration, IP configured via DHCP. QoS default (802.1P/DSCP). VLANs "disabled" (default option of No VLANs in the VLAN options). System time configured to SNTP using the default Netgear timing server. Out of the 8 ports, 3 are running full 2.5G (including the upstream port to the Firewall appliance), 3 other ports are only running at 1Gbps. 2 ports are unused.

If it helps, the switch is running firmware 1.0.1.9.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@waldo15 wrote:

The only way I have to recover the switch is by power-cycling it. Once power is back the switch functions as expected. 

Does not sound like a normal reliable operation status. Must admit, I'm operating my test unit in the Advanced 802.1Q VLAN mode, with a set of ports configured like access ports for VLAN 1, [U]ntagged, with the PVID set to 1 of course - among another VLAN with all tagged ports. This is were my (wrong) claim set earlier came from.

Some curiosity question (lack of time and bandwidth to reconfigure the unit here to this NO VLANS mode, stating
No VLANs are applied in this mode.

Does the switch get an IP address from the DHCP server?

Would you mind to apply a Advanced 802.1Q VLAN mode config, with a set of ports configured like access ports for VLAN 1, [U]ntagged, with the PVID set to 1 of course - among another VLAN with all tagged ports?

Message 4 of 7
waldo15
Aspirant

Yes the switch gets its IP address from the firewall in dynamic DHCP. 

I can try the advanced configuration you suggested and report back my findings. Should I set this to only a small number of ports, or all active ports? 

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@waldo15 wrote:

I can try the advanced configuration you suggested and report back my findings. Should I set this to only a small number of ports, or all active ports? 

Whatever is convenient and can be used to extend testing or experiencing your firewall system.

Message 6 of 7
waldo15
Aspirant

So I ran the test and it also ended up failing. Looking at my Firewall logs there's nothing that I can see that is obvious as to why it failed (if it was a firewall side issue), but I can see the DCHP server was properly setting up addresses and renewing IP leases until the switch just stopped. Once again, a power cycle brought it back online.

Should I start an RMA process with Netgear support? 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements