× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MS510TX Multi-Gig Switch - Speed Issue

Jacko-UK
Aspirant

Hello all - I wonder if someone would be kind enough to offer me some help. I have owned an MS510TX Multi-Gig switch for a couple of years (it's running the latest firmware) I have 2 workstations with 10Gb network cards attached (one connected to the 10Gb RJ45 port, and the other to the 5Gb Rj45 port), together with a Synology NAS on the 10GB SFP port. All network cables in use are CAT7 and CAT8 spec. For internet access I have a TP-Link Archer C2300 Router (it's running the latest firmware) connected to one of the 1Gb ports on the MS510TX. The Router WAN connects to a Virgin Hub 3 configured to run in Modem mode. The MS510TX is set to a fixed IP, with the TP-Link Router assigning the other connected devices their (fixed) IP addresses via DHCP. QOS on the TP-Link router is set to standard - 999mb upload/999mb download. I subscribed to Virgin Media's 600mb service and was getting a 600mb download connection to the Internet as standard. All was cool!

I was offered an upgrade to their 1Gb service last week and was sent a new Hub 4. To save reconfiguring everything I disconnected the Hub 3, put the new Hub 4 into Modem mode and fired everything up - that's when my issue began. The first thing I did was run the desktop version of speed test and noticed my main workstation was only giving me 650mb max download speed. To ascertain why I wasn't getting a download figure nearer 1GB, I took my MS510TX switch out of the loop and connected my main workstation directly to the Archer Router LAN 1 port. I ran speed test again and saw an immediate improvement - I was now getting 880-900Mb download speed. As soon as I switch back to connecting via the MS510TX the speed drops to 650Mb. (Although I may be wrong?) I'm assuming the MS510TX is causing the issue with the significantly lower download speed.

(Connection map)
Netgear MS510TX Multigig Switch (port 09 10Gb RJ45) <=====> Workstation 1
(port 08 5Gb RJ45) <=====> Workstation 2
(port 10 10Gb SFP+) <=====> Synology NAS
(port 01 1Gb RJ45) <=====> (LAN 1) TP-Link Router <==WAN==> Virgin Media Hub 4 (1Gb)

Can anyone explain to me why integrating the MS510TX and connecting my devices via it is causing such a degradation in Internet download speed? Maybe there's a setting on the MS510TX that I'm unaware of that's causing the issue? I'm fairly Tech Savvy but not a Pro, so I'd appreciate any help or suggestions greatly.

Message 1 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: MS510TX Multi-Gig Switch - Speed Issue

@Jacko-UK,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

What is the current firmware version of your MS510TX?  If ever its not yet the latest version, I suggest you to update it then check if the same problem will occur.  

The latest MS510TX firmware is v6.7.0.52 and you can download it here.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
Jacko-UK
Aspirant

@DaneA  Thanks for your reply Dane. As I mention in the second sentence of my original post...
my MS510TX is running the latest firmware. v6.7.0.52
Regards J.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jacko-UK,

My bad! 😞  

Are there VLANs configured on the MS510TX?  Or is the MS510TX being used like an unmanaged switch?  

If the MS510TXis being used just like an unmanaged switch, let us try to perform a factory reset then check if the same problem will occur.  

If ever there are settings configured on the MS510TX, I suggest you to back up the settings before doing a factory reset.  After doing a factory reset, restore back the settings then check if the same problem will occur. 

If still the same problem occurred, I suggest you to open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime for further investigation.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
Jacko-UK
Aspirant

@DaneA No worries mate! 😉  Thanks for your help - it's appreciated.

There are no VLAN's configured, it's just being used as an unmanaged switch.

I tried the factory reset, then reconfigured. Unfortunately the speed issue was not resolved. I will open a ticket with support. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements