× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

MS510TXM SFP+ port with SFP Module No Link

cflatt
Tutor

MS510TXM SFP+ port with SFP Module No Link

Hello,

I have a  Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switches (MS510TXM)  switch (firmware version 1.0.5.10) with 2 SFP+ ports and I want to connect it (using multimode fiber) to a different SFP port and SFP module. To do this I have an AGM731F transceiver module plugged in to the MS510TXM's SFP+ port which should allow the connection to auto-negotiate down to 1G and link to be established. My problem is that I never see any link on the MS510TXM side, with the link light off and the link being down on the Netgear interface. Forcing the connecting from auto-negotiate to 1G does not solve the issue. Curiously I do see link on the other side of the connection from the module I'm connected to.

Note: When I use this same setup with a Smart w/ optional Cloud (GS716TP)  Switch SFP port instead of using the SFP+ ports of a MS510TXM, the connection works perfectly fine and link is established on both sides immediately. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Connor 

Message 1 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Re: MS510TXM SFP+ port with SFP Module No Link

The original Netgear AXM731F module should be workable with the MS510TXM according to the Data Sheet | MS510TXM, MS510TXUP. For completeness, which firmware version is currently in place on the switch? 

Message 2 of 16
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @cflatt,

Ensure that the switch is up to date and try to do a loopback test on both the SFP+ slots of your switch to see if that works. You may also want to share the techsupport file so we can review why the switch does not recognize it.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 16
schumaku
Guru

A direct loop-back on the SFP module, connecting the TX and RX port should show an active link LED link, too.

Message 4 of 16
cflatt
Tutor

Thanks for the replies,

I tried out the loopback between both SFP+ ports of the switch and this does seem successful with amber lights flashing on both ports indicating a 1 gig link and data connection. Also I tried connecting the Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switches (MS510TXM) to the Smart w/ optional Cloud (GS716TP) between the SFP+ port of one and SFP port of the other and I also got an amber light indicating a successful 1 gig link between the two.

However, I still can only get a link/data from other external 1 gig fiber sources through the Smart w/ optional Cloud (GS716TP) switch or using separate fiber-ethernet media converters hooked up via ethernet to the MS510TXM and not directly through its fiber ports. All of these connections are with the same multimode fiber cable. I'll try and upload a tech support file

Thanks!

Message 5 of 16
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @cflatt.

Were you able to try it?

Kind regards,

Message 6 of 16
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @cflatt,

Thank trying and for sending the TS file. I find it odd that the SFP+ ports 9/10 are enabled in 10G but did not specify if it will auto-negotiate to other speeds such as 1G. I will check this with our switch Engineering team and keep you posted on updates.

Kind regards,

Message 7 of 16
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @cflatt,

It makes sense though that both link LEDs lit up amber when you did the loopback test and this means that both SFP+ slots using the AGM731F module work on the MS510TXM. By the way, have you tried establishing a link between the MS510TXM and GS716TP? 

Kind regards

Message 8 of 16
cflatt
Tutor

Yes using the AGM731F module I can link up both the MS510TXM and GS716TP switches at a one gig rate based on the amber lights. I can also hook up my external one gig connections through the SFP ports of the GS716TP using the AGM731F module. Still no luck getting external connections to work through the MS510TXM SFP+ ports though.
Message 9 of 16
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @cflatt,

Great then. Should we look at the (using multimode fiber) different SFP port and SFP module, maybe that's the problem.

Kind regards, 

Message 10 of 16
cflatt
Tutor

So currently what I'm trying to connect to is an RJ-5G-SX connector (data sheet here: https://cotsworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/944-00007-24_RJ-5G-SX.pdf) using those multimode fiber cables. Again when linking through the GS716TP SFP port/module this link works fine. But through the MS510TXM SFP+ port, i see no link on the Switch side however I do see link on the side of the RJ-5G-SX connector. Not sure if there's some compatibility problem I'm not seeing between the two.

Regards,

Message 11 of 16
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @cflatt,

Looks like it. Can you open a support ticket to report this and determine if this is a compatibility issue?

Kind regards,

Message 12 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@cflatt wrote:
Yes using the AGM731F module I can link up both the MS510TXM and GS716TP switches at a one gig rate based on the amber lights. I can also hook up my external one gig connections through the SFP ports of the GS716TP using the AGM731F module. Still no luck getting external connections to work through the MS510TXM SFP+ ports though.

The original AGM731F SFP Transceiver 1000BASE-SX (Short range, multimode) is supposed to be compatible (and workable) on the MS510TXM SFP+ ports according to the data sheet associated. Of coure, since it's 1000BASE-SX, only a Gigabit Ethernet link can be achieved - as the link LEDs confirm - so this combo should be workable. So,ething for Netgear engineering to look into if it doesn't.

Message 13 of 16
WilsonS
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @cflatt 

You say "

I have a Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switches (MS510TXM) switch (firmware version 1.0.5.10) with 2 SFP+ ports and I want to connect it (using multimode fiber) to a different SFP port and SFP module. To do this I have an AGM731F transceiver module plugged in to the MS510TXM's SFP+ port which should allow the connection to auto-negotiate down to 1G and link to be established. My problem is that I never see any link on the MS510TXM side, with the link light off and the link being down on the Netgear interface. Forcing the connecting from auto-negotiate to 1G does not solve the issue. Curiously I do see link on the other side of the connection from the module I'm connected to."

Which switch model is used on the other side?

Which SFP module is used on the other side?

Does the port on the other side of the connection use auto-negotiation or forced 1G speed? Please check the port configuration from the other side to get an answer. Thanks

Message 14 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@WilsonS ... the OP did (at least initially) talk of a NTGR GS716TP and AGM731F modules. In my understanding, the GS716TP should work straight away on a Gigabit fiber link, isn't it? Granted, the MS510TXM can be set to Auto or 1 G Full Duplex. 

More tricky might be the deployment of two RJ-5G-SX in this configuration. Well possible, the fiber link will auto establish a link on 5 Gb/s - something the GS716TP certainly can't deal with, and uncertain what the MS510TXM does make out of this, considering Netgear does not offer a pure 5Gb modules. In my understanding, different from Copper Ethernet, cincluding MultiGig, there is no link speed negotiation at all - however, I'd be happy to learn more about this.

Just to compare, I'm operating a installation with GC728XP and a GC752XP and a pair of 10G SFP+ single mode modules ... and can't manage it to establish a 10G link speed.

Message 15 of 16
cflatt
Tutor

Just wanted to follow up now that the issue was resolved. Netgear engineering did have to create a test firmware that I installed onto the MS510TXM switch. This firmware fixed the connection issues I was seeing to the devices that were previously not linking up. I can now get data and 1-gig link using any brand of 1 gig SFP that I use. As to what the exact problem was, I wasn't made aware. I'm assuming this should get worked into an official release later on. Thanks for all the help.

Regards   

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements