× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Making a Managed Network Switch assign IP Addresses within Local Network (No Internet)

buddazero
Aspirant

Making a Managed Network Switch assign IP Addresses within Local Network (No Internet)

Hi!

I'm a Multicam Director looking to upgrade his video production services to use NDI off-sight. It's a great tool. NDI uses the local network, and with it I can send video and audio signals anywhere I want within the local network.

DHCP assigns IP addresses to the devices, which in turn creates the local network. If there is no router however, you have to set a static IP address for each device, and that will create the LAN. I tested this with an unmanaged netgear switch, but the problem is that when I do want to connect that switch to a router/modem, DHCP takes over, assigns the IP addresses automatically, etc. And when I unplug the switch, there's no network-thus no IP address for my devices to talk to each other.

Here's what I'm looking for, and sorry if I'm not clear, I'm still learning all of this:

1) When I'm offline/no internet, I want a network switch that will assign IP addresses, or have it's own IP addresses that it will assign to devices automatically when they connect to it, that way, all the devices will automatically talk to each other, thus allowing me to use NDI in the local network. This setup will save me from setting a Static IP addresses for all my devices every time.

2) When I want to connect to the internet via a router/modem, I can plug my switcher to the router/modem, and have DHCP take over, BUT when I want to be offline, I can switch back to the first option mentioned before this anytime.

I read that you can give a Static IP address to a Switch, and from there, any device you connect to it will be assigned the IP address...is that true? The Network Switch that I'm looking at is the NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch (GS510TLP)

My reason for this, is because in some show events, there is no internet, but we're still doing multicam and recording the output of the show in the computer. NDI allows me to reach my cameras via the local network, and since I'm not "streaming" to like youtube, I can record locally, but if the events has their own router, I can connect my switch to their network and use NDI on theirs.

Thank you for reading, and I hope I was clear, looking forward to hear back from anyone soon, this is urgent.

Best,

Ken

Message 1 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Making a Managed Network Switch assign IP Addresses within Local Network (No Internet)

@buddazero 

“I read that you can give a Static IP address to a Switch, and from there, any device you connect to it will be assigned the IP address...is that true?”

No, that’s not true. Such an IP address makes it possible to access the management interface of the switch only. A switch can provide IP addresses to connected devices only if there is a DHCP server or relay agent running on it. GS510TLP provides only a DHCP relay agent so you still need a DHCP server somewhere.

Why don’t you want to use just another Wi-Fi router? It can provide IP addresses to devices connected directly to it or devices connected to a switch (if connected to the switch as well). It will also make it possible to access your devices through Wi-Fi and provide a firewall if you connect its WAN side to some other network. You don’t even need a switch with a DHCP relay agent if you have just one IP subnet.

Message 2 of 3
buddazero
Aspirant

Re: Making a Managed Network Switch assign IP Addresses within Local Network (No Internet)

It's been two days since I've asked this question, but that's exactly what I did after discussing it with someone.

I bought a router, which is not connected to the internet at all, and I plug my unmanaged switch into which gives POE to my devices, and plug that switch to the router, and boom! The router acts as a DHCP server, easy peasy. And if I'm at an location where I can use their network, I can plug my unmanaged switch into theirs, and boom I'm in their network.

And what I can even do now, is buy a Hotspot with an Ethernet port, plug that into my router, and boom, portable internet.

Thank you for getting back to me! I'm still learning, and purchasing the router made the most sense, I just thought it had to be connected to the internet...but it doesn't.

Best,

Ken

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements