× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NETGEAR JGS524PE POE Switch losing many camera connections

Digi11
Tutor

NETGEAR JGS524PE POE Switch losing many camera connections

I have a Netgear Surveillance system using 7 Dahua POE cameras and 1 Vivotek POE Camera connected to a JGS524PE, along with the rest of the network non-POE devices. On July 1, I lost 1 Dahua camera ethernet link. Power still on port, and cable connectionn test from switch shows cable conenctivity.  I think OK, I lost a camera.  Next day, I lose another Dahua camera.  Exact same status. Conicidence? I think highly unlikely. 2 weeks later, I lose a third Dahua camera. Exact same status.  I order 4 new Dahua cameras (different model).  I hook one new camera up to an existing failed camera POE cable outside.  It works fine.  I hook the failed Dahua camera up inside to different port and different cable. It show POE power but no link, just like it was when it failed outside while mounted. Today, I lost another (#4) Dahua camera.

Any thoughts?  Could the Netgear switch be frying the POE camera's one by one?  Did Dahua set a time bomb in my cameras to destroy the ethernet on them all after a certain period of time?  Is there any way to find the cause or prevent the other 4 cameras from failing this month?

Model: JGS524PE|ProSafe Plus 24 ports switch with PoE
Message 1 of 6
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: NETGEAR JGS524PE POE Switch losing many camera connections

@Digi11,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you were having issues with the switch that results in frying your camera. We haven't heard anything like this before. Have you checked it with the Dahua if it's possible? It has been working perfectly before. Have you experienced any power surge?

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
Digi11
Tutor

Thanks for the response.  I have not checked with Dahua, the camera manufacturer. The cameras have all been working fine since 2014 until this episode of 4 cameras out of eight failing one by one within a month. The entire system, including the Network 314 NAS with Netgear Surveillance, and the Netgear GB POE switch are on UPS which should filter any power surges, brownouts, and outages. I suppose a direct lightning strike on an ethernet network could be a possible cause, but no cameras failed during any storms, and they did not fail together, so unlikely, I think.  It has been a week since I replaced the 4 failed cameras with new Dahua cameras, and everything is working fine using the same cabling, etc. -- just new cameras. It will be interesting to see if any more old cameras or any new cameras start failing again. Any added insights would be greatly appreciated.

Message 3 of 6
Badger_
Aspirant

Your cameras that failed would happen to be the IPC-HDW2431TMP-AS-S2 model or similar ?

I have a Dahua PoE NVR/switch and have lost 4 Dahua PoE cameras out of 12 cameras installed in one of my sites. All cameras had only been installed for less then 3 months before getting stuck in reboot loops (even with direct 12V power).
Dahua support were useless, they could not help with any troubleshoot and told me to send the failed cameras back to the place of purchase. 

Message 4 of 6
Digi11
Tutor

I ended up losing five out of seven Dahua IPC-HDW4300S within 60 days.  I never discovered why.  It was as if they had a time-bomb that went off that disabled them all at once.  I have replaced them all with newer Dahua, and bought one extra for the next failure.  It has been nearly 2 years since replacement, and the remaining 2 original Dahua cameras and one Vivotek camera remain operational. Very strange.  I do not think the rock-solid Netgear switch was the problem. 

Message 5 of 6
Badger_
Aspirant

Thanks for the extra info, seems to match what I am seeing with the cameras too. I suspect a dodgy batch of PoE or power supply board in the cameras.  

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements