× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No Internet Access

scm179
Aspirant

No Internet Access

HI- im no expert here !   been using my switch for a while now for TV , IP Phone printer etc.etc.  no problems - purchased new desktop PC and cannot access the Internet ? , i remove the cable which comes directly from the router into the PC and it connects great, put it back through the switch - and its gone..   any help would be appriciated. thanks. 

Model: GS308T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch
Message 1 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: No Internet Access

@scm179,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

With this setup: router--GS308T--newPC, kindly check if your new PC gets a valid IP address from the router.  Make sure that the new PC is directly connected to the GS308T.  If ever it gets a valid IP address, check if you can get replies when you ping the IP address of your router.  Then if you are able to get replies from the IP address of the router, check if you can get replies when you ping the IP address of any website such as google.com. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
scm179
Aspirant

Hi i have the ethernet connected directly to the pc - it states i have no IP address , but the internet works great.  run it through the switch and the internet goes. New Cables & differnet ports have also been tried. 

thanks. 

Message 3 of 7
scm179
Aspirant

Yes i have Ping response from both my Router & Google

Message 4 of 7
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@scm179,

Since you get replies when you ping the IP Address of your router and Google then you should have internet access on your new PC when directly connected to the GS308T.  

Try to set Google DNS on your new PC such as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.  Check if it will let you access any website. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
scm179
Aspirant

Err..okay will try but I'm no expert in this field.

Thanks
Message 6 of 7
scm179
Aspirant

Hi nothing worked, ditched the Netgear Switch and bought a TP switch, works fantastic now 

thanks 

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements