× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

POE+ Switch with VLAN + service/WAN blocking

msr86
Tutor

POE+ Switch with VLAN + service/WAN blocking

I am looking to purchase a 8-port POE+ switch with the capability to create port-based VLANs. My only real requirement is that I can create a couple of different VLANs -- one with full network/WAN access, the other which is completely isolated/no WAN access.

I'm struggling to find which model is capable of allowing this

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: POE+ Switch with VLAN + service/WAN blocking

@msr86 wrote:

I am looking to purchase a 8-port POE+ switch

PoE+ (802.3at) per port means 30 W per port at the Power Sourcing Equipment (PSE), and 25.5W per port max at the powered device (PD), after the total cable loss.

• What port speed?
  • How much PoE power in total?

@msr86 wrote:

with the capability to create port-based VLANs. My only real requirement is that I can create a couple of different VLANs -- one with full network/WAN access, the other which is completely isolated/no WAN access.

No matter if you are configuring port-based VLANs or 802.1q VLANs with access ports for each of the VLAN(s) you want, the Spanning Tree Protocol will span all network ports, regardless of the VLAN config. 

Why start a new thread instead of continuing here?

The https://www.netgear.com/support/product/gs110tpv3 would for example fit if all you need are eight Gigabit Ethernet copper ports, plus two gigabit SFP ports.

Message 2 of 4
msr86
Tutor

I do not need a huge amount of PoE power -- approx. 60W would suffice. 1Gbit port speed is also sufficient.

I'm not really familiar with Spanning Tree Protocol but I am told that I would need a L3 managed switch in order to block one of the VLANs from internet traffic, or to configure this at the router level. I'm pretty limited in my networking knowledge and don't have control over the router so that's not really an option.

Apologies for starting a new thread, I hadn't realised it had been moved to a different topic but happy to resume with this one now.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

No worries about Spanning Tree! Just wanted to mention it in this context.

To configure a two (or more) dedicated VLAN, allowing to operate two or more networks and IP subnets independently, a simple L2 Smart Switch with the required configuration support is perfectly fine. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements