× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - HTTP request error

jbouwh
Tutor

Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - HTTP request error

I own two Netgear Smart swiches:

Regards,
    Jan
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
jbouwh
Tutor

FIXED: Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - HTTP request error

I Fixed it!!! :): The problem seemed to be caused by the 'Internet Connection Sharing Service (ICS)'.
Some how I have been configuring this service on my laptop. When I stop this service, the utility works again. Because I do not need this service most of the time I changed the startup mode of this service to manual.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 29

All Replies
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - HTTP request error

have you try run as windows XP in win7?

right click on exe file and you can change mode

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows
Message 2 of 29
jbouwh
Tutor

Yes, I dit try compatibility mode, and also running it as Administrator. Unfortunately, it did not solve my problem.
Message 3 of 29
adit
Mentor

I think it's an Air problem. Someone else was having a problem with a switch and Air.
Message 4 of 29
jbouwh
Tutor

It might be Air, but the error are caused by the Netgear EXE files I mentioned. Those apps make SOAP webservice that is called by the Air app.
When I remove Adobe Air and the reinstall the utillity, it will install an ald version of Adobe Air, but that does not solve anything either.
Message 5 of 29
adit
Mentor

Message 6 of 29
jbouwh
Tutor

Already saw that thread, seems a simular problem.
I think the error is in NsdpManager.exe:

SOAP 1.1 fault: SOAP-ENV:Server [no subcode]
"Either the application has not called WSAStartup, or WSAStartup failed.
"
Detail: accept failed in soap_accept()

I think this is not an Adobe Air application. Only the GUI requires Adobe AIR.
Message 7 of 29
jbouwh
Tutor

Is 'nt there anyone who that has the same problem. I was still not able to solve it!
Message 8 of 29
jbouwh
Tutor

FIXED: Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - HTTP request error

I Fixed it!!! :): The problem seemed to be caused by the 'Internet Connection Sharing Service (ICS)'.
Some how I have been configuring this service on my laptop. When I stop this service, the utility works again. Because I do not need this service most of the time I changed the startup mode of this service to manual.
Message 9 of 29
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

why would you want ICS to be running away... 🙂

Good finding though
Message 10 of 29
jbouwh
Tutor

I used ICS to share my mobile Internet Connection over WiFI, but only during holidays, so I can do without.
Fortunally I found out this service was the disturbing factor.
Message 11 of 29
jeffbrl
Aspirant

Can you reproduce the problem by re-enabling ICS? I am experiencing the same problem. While I've had ICS enabled in the last few weeks, it's currently disabled.

Jeff L.
Message 12 of 29
jbouwh
Tutor

jeffbrl wrote:
Can you reproduce the problem by re-enabling ICS? I am experiencing the same problem. While I've had ICS enabled in the last few weeks, it's currently disabled.

Jeff L.

Hi Jeff,
Yes I can reproduce this. I just tried it. Make sure you don't have any connections that have that have checks on the sharing properties tab.
Regards,
Jan
Message 13 of 29
jeffbrl
Aspirant

Jan,

Thank you for confirming. I see no shared network adapters. I am wondering if Vmware workstation triggered this defect for both of us. I'm curious why disabling ICS works for you but not me.

I'm going to give up and configure the switch with a Windows XP laptop or VM.

Jeff L.
Message 14 of 29
jbouwh
Tutor

I have been struggeling with VM ware as well, but that was not the problem.
I have VMware player installed.
I am using a 64bit version of Windows 7. And yes, using a Win XP station is an exelent work-a-round.
Good-luck.
Message 15 of 29
Frederic1
Aspirant

Hello,
Thank very much for your help.
I had exactly the same problem (HTTP request error).
I disabled ICS, reboot and now it's working fine !

I have "virtual router manager" installed on my computer. Computer is physically linked to internet (ethernet) but I enable wifi to share internet connection with a smartphone. "virtual router manager" is the tool used to set up the connection between smartphone and PC. I assume this program was enabling ICS automatically.

Note also that I use win 7 in 64 bits.

Thanks again for the time saved !!
Message 16 of 29
Frederic1
Aspirant

(note : I although use a GS108Ev2)
Message 17 of 29
jbouwh
Tutor

Good to see the posts helped you! I own a GS108Ev2 and a GS105E.
Message 18 of 29
SpenceV
Aspirant

Re: FIXED: Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - HTTP request error

Ok so confirmed ICS needs to be disabled. But the issue is bigger than that I think if you have vitural box VMware ot hyper-v running they will create a similare issue. i got around it by disabling all of the other Nics on the systems. did my config and updates then re-enbled them and re-enabled ICS.

(note: it for ICS comon to be runing so you should proably set it back to enabled when done)

PS ICS is a really usfull tool not a troubleing service.

Message 19 of 29
oek
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue (Win 10 Pro 64 bit). Neither ICS, nor VMware oder HyperV services are running. No chance to open ProSafe Utility? Netgear, pls fix this!

Message 20 of 29
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello oek, 

Welcome to the community! 

It could be a different case now compared to what was mentioned in this thread, the Win10 is a newer OS and had some changes. We need to know the following: 

• Model and version of your unit. 
  • Firmware version
  • Utility version

Looking forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 21 of 29
fasterIsBetter
Aspirant

I have almost the same problem with a twist, the configuration utility works immediately after it's installed, one time and one time only. However, the web interface works OK for me, so I have uninstalled the configuration utiliy.

After installing the configuration utility it will run ONE time only. If I quit and try to re-run it I get this error: "a fault occurred contacting the server. fault message is http request error". If I uninstall the the configuration utility  and reinstall it, it will again work for the first time only! Netgear, I'm using the lastest Windows Pro 10 with all updates, the latest firrmware 2.00.07 (the switch is brand new, arrived yesterday and is a v3).

I've removed the application and decided to simply use the web interface and I would suggest everyone with this problem do the same thing if possible.

IMO, this looks like a bug in the configuration software to me 😞 I believe more testing is needed by Netgear. Even when I get the error from the configuration utility I can successfully access the switch from the web interface. On my system the ICS service is not running but I do use Hyper-V and have serveral virtual machines (none of which were active during the investigation of this problem). Since the web interface is sufficient for my needs, I will not spend any more time trying to diagnose this.

Message 22 of 29
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi fasterisBetter,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Just want to know if you have used the latest ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility v2.3.5?  

Also, have you tried installing Winpcap first then the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility v2.3.5?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 23 of 29
Shak7
Aspirant

Just tried something that worked and fixed my issue! I closed my CfosSpeed QoS software and all is fine now !!! Thank you all for the guidelines here that got me to point the problem, after 3 years without ProSafe Plus Software. So if nothing works, check your extra networking software !

Message 24 of 29
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Shak7,

Congratulations!!! 🙂  I am glad that you have isolated the problem and got it working.  Thanks for sharing your experience and the solution you did to resolve the problem.

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community!  

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements