× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Selecting the correct product(s)

churchtrotter
Follower

Selecting the correct product(s)

I'm in search of assistance in selecting the correct product(s).  I've been asked to buy a 16 Plus port PoE Switch along with 2 access points that are PoE.    I'm out of my depth here.

I was looking at the 24-Port | 24xPoE+ 380W | 2xSFP.  The unit will be at a church with 16-20 security cameras that need to be controlled via the switch.  I'm not sure if the 380W needed versus the 190W.   Would someone be so kind to suggest a switch and the APs, please.

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Selecting the correct product(s)

For an average network camera, you should calculate the maximal required PoE (802.3af-2003) power of 15.4W each.

Talking wireless access points, the possible performance for wireless access points does easily exceed the commonly available 1 Gigabit/s (1000 Mbps). This might require faster switches and a much better infrastructure to be considered. 

Message 2 of 3
a01
Guide
Guide

Re: Selecting the correct product(s)

This is coming from a noob so you may disregard this, it may not be good advice:

Personally I'd be weary about running all these PoE devices from one switch. If that thing breaks it will be really expensive. I'd much rather separate them into smaller units, plus if one breaks you don't lose all cameras at once.

Secondly you can group them together so that you have less wire to pull.

I have no idea how much power the cameras need. Btw. that's a lot of cameras, I'm guessing this church is in California 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements