× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set IP-addres of switch with VLAN's

KLelong
Aspirant

Set IP-addres of switch with VLAN's

Hi,

I was setting up  VLAN's on the switch. I managed to do so, but while doing so I lost connection. After looking to my DHCP-servers I found the switch and I could configure it further. All works fine, but unfortunately, the IP-address of the switch belongs to the wrong VLAN.

How can I specify from which VLAN the switch should get its IP-address ? Or how to specify in which VLAN the switch has its IP-address, when setting a fixed IP-address.

The upstream trunk-port has only tagged VLAN's, but it's PVID is the VLAN where I would like the IP-address to come from. But that does not work.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Set IP-addres of switch with VLAN's

@KLelong wrote:

How can I specify from which VLAN the switch should get its IP-address ? Or how to specify in which VLAN the switch has its IP-address, when setting a fixed IP-address.

Neither is possible on the Plus switches built on unmanaged switch cores - technically it's an unmanaged switch, where the config interface does not know anything about VLANs: The simple uC implementing the Netgear Switch Discovery Protocol. and it's IP stack for the http web UI does always listen to untagged frames only. These could be frames with the right IP address, regardless of the VLAN. 

Message 2 of 4
KLelong
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.

So there is no notion of a management VLAN ?

Which means I wasted my money.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@KLelong wrote:

So there is no notion of a management VLAN ?

No I'm afraid:

NTGR PoEplus Seitches DS.PNG

The GS305EP, GS305EPP, GS308EP, GS308EPP, GS316EP, GS316EPP PoE+ Gigabit Ethernet Plus Switches Data She... is very clear.

@KLelong wrote:

Which means I wasted my money.

Whatever your buy decision was made of.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements