× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting the password via startup-config for a NetGear GS324T running 1.0.0.16

ChrisJohnston
Follower

Setting the password via startup-config for a NetGear GS324T running 1.0.0.16

Hello,

I'm trying to configure some switch configuration automation via TFTP and upload a set of configs for switches using SNMP to trigger a TFTP load from a saved config.  However, I want to be able to modify the admin passwords ahead of time.

In the current startup-configs, it creates an admin account similar to:

username "admin" password ###SOMEHASHHERE### level 15 encrypted

Is there some algorithim or some way I can set this ahead of time for some arbirtrary password?

For example, a python script which would prompt the user for "set the admin password" -- they type in some password, and then using a crypt library or something, I create the hash, update a start-config and then when I boot the switch and it loads the configuration, the password has been set appropriately?

Having a user login to the GUI of the netgear after the fact, and setting the password creates a 'manual step' that I want to avoid when configuring the devices -- and I do not know what the password is going to be ahead of time, so I cannot just go and manually make a config with the 'right' password, and then save it off.

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Setting the password via startup-config for a NetGear GS324T running 1.0.0.16

Not that it helps much here, just a warning: 1.0.0.16 was never formally released, in fact it's massively outdated; 1.0.0.17 was released mid of April 2019, beyond:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065117/GS324T-GS324TP-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-43

Warnings:

• Please reset password after upgrading the firmware or importing the configuration file from v1.0.0.38 or earlier version to v1.0.0.43 or a newer version.
  • Please reset password every time if you switch the firmware and boot the device between v1.0.0.38 or earlier and v1.0.0.43 or newer
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements