× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Simple VLAN Setup

PaulBush
Aspirant

Simple VLAN Setup

I would like to setup what I would think would be a simple wired 2 VLAN setup. One VLAN for all my home devices and one VLAN for my work computer. I would like them to not have access to each other or even see each other but both have access to the internet through my cable internet connection. Is this possible? I've setup the 2nd VLAN but I can't seem to get internet access working. In searching these forums it appears I may need a VLAN aware/capable router. Was hoping all the features I needed were in the switch.

My equimpment:

Internet -> Cable Modem -> Asus RT-AC88U wifi router -> Netgear GS324TP switch -> work computer, home computer, etc...

Any help greatly appreciated 🙂

Paul

Model: GS324TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Simple VLAN Setup

@PaulBush,

Welcome to the community! 🙂  

In searching these forums it appears I may need a VLAN aware/capable router. Was hoping all the features I needed were in the switch.

Yes, you will need a VLAN-aware router that will serve as DHCP server to the VLANs you have configured to the GS324TP.  The GS324TP does NOT have the capability to provide DHCP service since it is a Layer 2 switch.   

Here is an example of the setup that you need.  Let me share the article below and use it as your guide:

How do I set up one or more VLANs between a NETGEAR ProSAFE firewall and a smart switch?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
PaulBush
Aspirant

Re: Simple VLAN Setup

Thank you very much for your help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies