× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch Not Relaying DHCP Well

we87
Aspirant

Switch Not Relaying DHCP Well

I just upgraded to the Netgear GS724t v3 gigabit switch, I needed more ports and I needed to be able to do link aggregation for a few nas units, this was the reason for the uprgrade.

So my small home network consists of a ATT Modem, which is my DHCP server which goes into the GS724t, and then everything else on the network gets plugged into it.

Its been a few days and now I am running into issues with DHCP not working on certain clients. All of the windows PC's work. A few smart tvs do not (i had to set up manual configuration on them and bypass DHCP) and now a game console will not connect. For the record everything was hooked up the exact same way before with a different smaller switch and it was working just fine.

I understand this switch is more feature rich than it should be for my needs, but this is also why I need help understanding where I went wrong. As far as I can tell if the switch is set to not handle DHCP than the ATT router should take over no problem, yes? If this  is the case, is there something additional  i need to setup or change in order for this to work?

Thank you very much in advance

Model: GS724Tv3|24 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 2

Re: Switch Not Relaying DHCP Well

Do the TV's and game console work with DHCP if you plug them into the old switch then plug the old switch into the 724?

Alternatively since the att modem probably has 4 ports maybe plug the tv's game consoles into that.

The switch is not a dhcp server and it doesen't give a rats patootie whether it's a DHCP packet or an ARP packet that is traversing the switch both are broadcast packets.

Since you can statically assign the tv's and they work this strongly indicates that the tv ports and switch ports are having difficulty negotiating.  Sometimes low-qualty ethernet cables will do this particularly ones with only 4 conductors.  If your old switch was a 100baset switch a crummy ethernet cable may have been OK.  Now you have a gigabit switch, a gigabit port on the tv, and the cable falls down trying to negotiate gigabit.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements