× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Switch VLAN issue

GaACETech
Tutor

Switch VLAN issue

Using 16 port Netgear Switch GS716T (version 3 i believe)

Port 1 cabled to Router

Port 2 cabled to Access Point

Port 3-16 client devices

Switch has default VLAN 1

Access point guest traffic gets a VLAN ID of 10

I created a VLAN 10 with ports 1 and 2 as members and both Tagged

I did not remove these from VLAN 1 on the Port VID Config page since they still need to belong to VLAN 1.

I'm trying to get both office devices (vlan id 1) and guest devices (vlan id 10) to both use the internet (port 1).

I'm not getting a IP via DHCP on wireless devices (states unable to obtain a IP address).

What have I done wrong?

Thanks, 

Darryl

Model: GS716T|16 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Does the router support multiple networks, is the router port configured for the additional tagged VLAN, is there a dedicated IP subnet configured on this additional network, and last but not least is there DHCP service active for the additional network?

Message 2 of 4
GaACETech
Tutor

@schumaku wrote:

Does the router support multiple networks - yes,   (router is a Sonicwall TZ350)

is the router port configured for the additional tagged VLAN - yes,  (guest network is configured with a guest IP network)

is there a dedicated IP subnet configured on this additional network- yes,

and last but not least is there DHCP service active for the additional network - yes  (DHCP service is checked for the subnet)

I just checked all of these and they appear to be set correctly.

so there is not a need for the VID configuration to set these 2 ports to vlan 10?  again the 2 ports are the internet connection to the switch and the AP port on the switch).

Thanks!

Darryl

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Both the port to the router and the AP  need to have this VLAN 10 added as tagged. Check the Sonicwall config for proper tagging on the same port. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements