× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trunk Port

debrahlu
Aspirant

Trunk Port

I am new to VLANs, so please be patient.  🙂

I understand that if you mark a VLAN port 'tagged' it essentially means that that port will send/receive all VLAN data so I don't need to have 2 separate wires coming from my switch going to my router (I have 2 VLANs set up on my switch).  Is this correct?

Assuming that is correct - VLAN 10 is set to the 10.1.3.0 network (ports 2-4) with PVIDs set to 10, VLAN 50 is set to the 10.1.4.0 network (ports 5-6) with PVIDs set to 50.  I have set port 8 as the trunk port - it is a tagged member of both VLAN 10 and VLAN 50. 

Here's where I get confused.  If port 8 is the has the only network cable going to the router,  what IP address do I give that port on my router - 10.1.3.x or 10.1.4.x?  

Thank you, in advance, for helping me through this!

Model: GS308T|NETGEAR® S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Trunk Port

If the plan is to have to 802.1Q VLANs with two dedicated IP subnetworks, your router must support two [V]LANs and two IP subneworks.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

If the plan is to have to 802.1Q VLANs with two dedicated IP subnetworks, your router must support two [V]LANs and two IP subneworks.

Message 2 of 3
debrahlu
Aspirant

Thank you, again!  I was able to set up the ethernet ports on the router and traffic was passing properly.  My only remaining issue is that I can't get the inter-vlan routing to work, but that's a router/firewall issue I'm sure.

Thanks, again.

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements