× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Tuya / Lidl smart home devices don't work when connected to GS724Tv4

RNUK
Aspirant

Tuya / Lidl smart home devices don't work when connected to GS724Tv4

Hi All,

Got a strange one here.... bought a Lidl smart home device and connected it via my switch.  It's a rebadged Tuya device.  When I search for the gateway, it eventually finds it, but it cannot be registered.  Thinking it may be faulty, I switched it for another one, but this did the same.  I tried many things to fix, but eventually found this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Setting-up-a-smart-device-light-bulb/m-p/1...

Thinking it may be Netgear related, I connected it directly to my Asus router.  It started working and I was able to register.  When I tried it to a new port on the GS724Tv4, it failed again.

Any one have any ideas what could be causing this.  Unfortunately the distance between my smart deviced and the gateway are too great, so I need to be able to use it in the switch.

I've upgraded to the latest firmware 6.3.1.36.  I moved the device back to the switch once it had been registered.  The App then doesn't detect it.  

Model: GS724Tv4|ProSafe 24 ports Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

do hyou have the dhcp server enabled on the smart switch? 

What router is connected to the switch?

And what gateway/modem are you using?

Message 2 of 18
RNUK
Aspirant

DHCP on Netgear switch - No

Asus RT-AC88U with latest firmware - DHCP running there

Huawai Echolife HG612 modem

When I connect to RT-AC88U, the device works.

Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

the Echolife HG612 also has an integrated router dhcp server.

Add in the asus and it can create a double nat. 

Message 4 of 18
RNUK
Aspirant

Buy why would it make any difference?  If I plug into the Asus port it works.  The Asus is linked to the Netgear switch.  If I plug into the Netgear switch it fails. What is the Netgear switch doing to the packets to stop it working?

Isn't double NATing a minefield.  Would I set the HG to deliver just 1 IP in the pool - that of the Asus?

Would I set WAN-side address allocation as Normal or passthrough?  At the moment, I have the Asus delivering x.x.x.4 to .250.  It's on .3, with the HG612 as .1

This was how it was recommended on another board. 

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

for some, double nat's doing cause issues. 

others its nothing but issues. If its working and working fine, i'd leave it. 

What Tuya devices is it?

Message 6 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@RNUK wrote:

If I plug into the Asus port it works.  The Asus is linked to the Netgear switch.  If I plug into the Netgear switch it fails. What is the Netgear switch doing to the packets to stop it working?

Assume the PHY link on the port speed makes sense (same speed as on the Asus), the device does get an IP address assigned by DHCP (check the Asus router DHCP table/connected devices), check the switch ARP table for the device MAC address, ... have an eye for the IGMP Multicast settings for the VLAN in use. Allow IGMP multicast, and don't block unknown multicast.

Message 7 of 18
RNUK
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

for some, double nat's doing cause issues. 

others its nothing but issues. If its working and working fine, i'd leave it. 

What Tuya devices is it?

https://www.lidl.co.uk/our-products/smart-home (Picture 2).  Lidl just rebadge them.

@schumaku wrote:

Assume the PHY link on the port speed makes sense (same speed as on the Asus), the device does get an IP address assigned by DHCP (check the Asus router DHCP table/connected devices), check the switch ARP table for the device MAC address, ... have an eye for the IGMP Multicast settings for the VLAN in use. Allow IGMP multicast, and don't block unknown multicast.

The device is 100mbps.  Asus is 1000mbps.  Device gets assigned an address.  Fing on my phone can find it.

Switching / Address table shows the device connected

I followed this to confgure IGMP Multicast

https://support.biamp.com/Tesira/AVB/Configuring_IGMP_Snooping_on_the_Netgear_GS724Tv4 

Still not working. 

Block Unknown is disabled.

Message 8 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Looks like I have to drive to Lidl these days and buy such a monster 8-/

Message 9 of 18
schumaku
Guru

CAncel the my idea that it's MDNS based - much more the discovery is using the classic IoT UDP IPv4 broadcast, source port 41457, destination 6667. 

Message 10 of 18
RNUK
Aspirant

OK. Sounds like you're closer. What do I need to tweak to get it working when it's connected to the switch?
Message 11 of 18
schumaku
Guru

No idea yet I'm afraid - had just captured the complete traffic of an out-of-the-box Tuya/Lidl ZigBee gateway including the initial discovery by port mirroring ad the edge switch. Data was passing several Netgear switches between the discovery on my mobile (while connected to a 5 GHz BSSID of course) to the IoT and back to the cloud infrastructure.   

Message 12 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@RNUK wrote:

When I search for the gateway, it eventually finds it, but it cannot be registered.

I moved the device back to the switch once it had been registered.  The App then doesn't detect it.  

The initial discovery after reset and plugging as well as the discovery used later makes use of the very same UDP broadcast.

Up to here it does not make any sense.

The controller does pick up an IP when plugged to the switch reliably?

I do assume that the Asus router does handle the broadcast properly, regardless of the radio band used as both radios connect to the same network and IP subnet anyway - even if the vendors of this IoJ insist the 2.4 GHz WLAN must be used.

Message 13 of 18
RNUK
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Up to here it does not make any sense.

The controller does pick up an IP when plugged to the switch reliably?

I do assume that the Asus router does handle the broadcast properly, regardless of the radio band used as both radios connect to the same network and IP subnet anyway - even if the vendors of this IoJ insist the 2.4 GHz WLAN must be used.

Yes, it appears to.  When I search for the gateway, the App (Lidl or Tuya) finds it, and it's only when you try and go to the next stage it doesn't do anything - and of course, if I disconnect it any move it back to the switch.  In that case, the app no longer finds it.  In the Tuya app, select ZigBee Gateway, top right, Check Device Network.  It connects ok, and then performs a test. Strangely the IP address it is reporting is a different IP to what 'what is my ip address' reports.

I am assuming it is getting an address ok.  It does have 'two' IP addresses according to Fing.  The DHCP one and 192.168.1.254.  The pool ends at .199.   I have a couple of devices which have fixed addresses.  The switch being one.  

Not sure why it talks about 2.4Ghz WLAN.  The device is physically connected.  I think they do make a wireless version - maybe that's why.  I disabled 5G and it didn't make any difference.

Message 14 of 18
schumaku
Guru

Ignore the 2.4 GHz question ... while it's part of the Lidl packaging and user booklet, it does not make any sense. Only the Tuya App seems th throw the message, the Lidl Home variant either didn't or I don't remember. Fully agree, in my understaning it's not a WiFi client, only Ethernet. 

Is there anything configured on this GS switch? VLANs, routing, ACLs, ...? Some left-over lag configs or the like? Any chance for a factory reset?

Have an eye on the switch MAC table - all normal?

Hard to imagine the gateway does make use of both IP addresses - at least this would be fishy.

Message 15 of 18
RNUK
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Is there anything configured on this GS switch? VLANs, routing, ACLs, ...? Some left-over lag configs or the like? Any chance for a factory reset?

Have an eye on the switch MAC table - all normal?

Hard to imagine the gateway does make use of both IP addresses - at least this would be fishy.

No, no VLANs, routing, ACLs.  It's pretty much out of box.  I've just set a password, given it an IP, and given some descriptions in Switching/Ports.

DNS is enabled to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (ie, not the Asus IP)

Green ethernet it configured.

Do you see the same issue on your one?  I'm impressed that you've bought one to help debug the issue.

Message 16 of 18
RNUK
Aspirant

Did you ever get to the bottom of this one?

Message 17 of 18
jipp
Aspirant

Have you tried the STP settings? specifically BPDU Flooding = ENABLE

By default it is disabled, never had issues since,

I have a GS724Tv3 and when I first got some Google Home Wifi mesh devices, they would work and sometimes discover, but had horendous issues with meshing and disappearing from the app.

After much searching a post mentioned this BDPU setting, which is only needed on managed switches it seems, a simple dumb switch works fine.

I wonder if this affects the discovery issue you are having with your smart device?

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements