× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLan Management on 300 series

Ekozan2
Aspirant

VLan Management on 300 series

Hi all ,

I'm having some difficulty managing my VLANs on my switch.

My configuration is as follows:

• VLAN 5: Management (where my servers, switches, and access points are grouped)
  • VLAN 10: Secure (home)
  • VLAN 20: Guest (guest Wi-Fi)
  • VLAN 30: IoT

So, I have my router on port 1:

Where I initially configured it as a trunk:

• VLAN 5/10/20/30 T (PVID 5)

But the switch is trying to take an IP on VLAN 1...

So, I tried to switch to untagged on VLAN 5:

• VLAN 5 U (PVID 5)
  • VLAN 10/20/30 T 

without success 

and strangely, my port 2 is my Wi-Fi AP:

So, I configured it as follows:

• VLAN 5 U (PVID 5)
  • VLAN 10/20/30 T 

and it still retrieves an IP on VLAN 1?

I have the switch in Advanced 802.1q mode.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: VLan Management on 300 series

Any Netgear Smart Managed switch with a type designation like GSxxxT[n[n]] or MSxxxT[n[n]] - depends on the number of ports, port types, PoE requirements, ... for example on Which Ethernet Switch is Right For You? Browse our complete line of Ethernet switches for your home ... or lok into the huge selection of switches like Smart Cloud Managed Switches or Smart Managed Switches or Multi-Gigabit Switches.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Ekozan2 wrote:

But the switch is trying to take an IP on VLAN 1...

So, I tried to switch to untagged on VLAN 5:

• VLAN 5 U (PVID 5)
  • VLAN 10/20/30 T 

without success 

and strangely, my port 2 is my Wi-Fi AP:

So, I configured it as follows:

• VLAN 5 U (PVID 5)
  • VLAN 10/20/30 T 

and it still retrieves an IP on VLAN 1?

Nothing strange .... based on the fact the switch itself with the simple uC and the basic IP stack is simply not built on a managed core, and untagged frames - whatever does reach the switch can -and- -will- be able to reach the DHCP client, the switch config, being the Web UI or the NSDP if enabled for discovery -and- the configuration. In other words: Whatever VLAN and IP traffic makes up to the switch in untagged frames and will end up there.  

This has nothing to do with the switch 300 series, much more it depends on the specific models - some Plus switches (GSnnnE[xx] or MSnnnE[xx]) are built on Managed Cores, the majority of models are built on unmanaged switch cores and a uC glued-on taking care of Web UI, NSDP, and even the ICMP Multicast port handling. Said this: The uC does listen to all traffic on the switch, including IP frames, and does not know or care about any tagged VLAN. These can be 100, 300, or 700 Series switches. 

Already when reading VLAN[x] Management I can tell you will run into issues as there is -no- management VLAN possible, except as on the models built on a managed core where you can define the Management VLAN.

XS724EM Management VLAN pxld.PNGMS108EUP Management VLAN pxld.PNG

Most (if not all - I don't own all models) in what you designate as Series 300 don't. 

Message 2 of 4
Ekozan2
Aspirant

opsi next time I need to read more all small text 😄

any recomandation of 8port switch with this possibility ?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Any Netgear Smart Managed switch with a type designation like GSxxxT[n[n]] or MSxxxT[n[n]] - depends on the number of ports, port types, PoE requirements, ... for example on Which Ethernet Switch is Right For You? Browse our complete line of Ethernet switches for your home ... or lok into the huge selection of switches like Smart Cloud Managed Switches or Smart Managed Switches or Multi-Gigabit Switches.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements