× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vlan/port Setup

JNBTECH
Aspirant

Vlan/port Setup

Network Setup 
Fortigate (Firewall) ------> GS752TPV2 ( smart switch)

1 vlan set for VOIP (10.10.2.x) on ports 25-36
port 1 on switch is my trunk port

natuve vlan.pngpvid config.pngtrunk pvid.pngvlan 2.png

**Issue**

I fail to receive IP's from native Vlan (10.10.1.x) but I get from ports 25-36 which is set for the VOIP Vlan (10.10.2.x).

I'm sure I just configured something wrong but can't figure out what it is.

Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: Vlan/port Setup

Assuming the native VLAN (something that does not exist on Netgear switches) is the VLAN 1, and more specifically the Access Ports 2...24 and 36...52 (excluding the Tagged port 48): Have an eye on "Configure the PVID settings"  on p.171 ff. on 24-Port and 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Switches with 4 SFP Ports User Manual 

The PVID does define the VLAN untagged frames flowing into the switch port are associated to.

Message 2 of 11
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JNBTECH,

Change back the PVID of ports 25-26 to 1 and should be able to receive VLAN 1 in those ports while the said ports will also receive VLAN traffic from your VOIP /or voice VLAN. Give this a try a let us know.

Kind regards,

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@BrianL wrote:

Change back the PVID of ports 25-26 to 1 and should be good.

Good for what exactly please? For some reasons the OP has certainly defined the port 25-36 as access ports for the VLAN 2 - and simply missed to set the PVID accordingly.

Message 4 of 11
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JNBTECH,

Are you using voice VLAN? If not and just need these two ports 25-26 tagged (trunk) in VLAN 2, we can change its PVID to 1. 

Kind regards,

Message 5 of 11
BrianL
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JNBTECH,

Are you using Voice VLAN? MAC Based VLAN? If there are only two VOIPs (Phones) that need to be connected in ports 25-26, we can simply tag (trunk) them on VLAN 2 and leave its PVID to 1. Where the phones will get the VLAN 2 traffic and the PC connected to it will be the native VLAN 1 (Support this setup is a piggy-back setup). 

Kind regards,

Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@JNBTECH wrote:

I fail to receive IP's from native Vlan (10.10.1.x) but I get from ports 25-36 which is set for the VOIP Vlan (10.10.2.x).

The DHCP server is on the Fortigate, connected by a trunk, handling both VLANs 1 and 2?

The ports associated as access ports for VLAN 1 (VLAN  1, untagged, PVID 1) can communicate with the 10.10.1.x network devices?

Both the VLAN 1 and 2 tagged as trunk ports are serving DHCP for both subnets?

Or is the DHCP server for the 10.10.1.x subnet probably running untagged on the security appliance, so DHCP requests never reach the DHCP server?

Message 7 of 11
JNBTECH
Aspirant

Based off my understanding, the PVID should be two (2) because it needs to match the vlan member. Ports 25-36 are meant for Vlan 2 which is getting the right IPs
Message 8 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@JNBTECH wrote:
Based off my understanding, the PVID should be two (2) because it needs to match the vlan member. Ports 25-36 are meant for Vlan 2 which is getting the right IPs

Yes, this  is what I understand from your config, too.

Unclear on how the DHCP server is connected, and what is supposed to provide DHCP for the VLAN 1, subnet 192.168.1.0/24 ... and this is what does not work.

Message 9 of 11
JNBTECH
Aspirant

I have 9 phones and the PBX I thought of that also. I believe I tried that but it did not work but I will give it a shot once more when I get to the office.
Message 10 of 11
JNBTECH
Aspirant

I sorted it out. My error was with my tagged port. Previously I had port 48 tagged for both Vlan2 and Vlan1 which is where the issue arose. I only needed to have it tagged on Vlan2.

I realized this after reading the manual 🙃

https://kb.netgear.com/31026/How-to-configure-a-VLAN-on-a-NETGEAR-managed-switch 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements