× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Voice VLAN, Auto VoIP-VLAN, and a hurting brain

JeffAtK2
Guide

Voice VLAN, Auto VoIP-VLAN, and a hurting brain

My phone works. My data port on my phone works. But I don’t think it’s properly isolating/prioritizing voice traffic.  When I make a call, auto voip-VLAN status continues showing “Number of Voice Channels Detected: 0”.

Can someone help me with:
  • Why can’t I tag my voice vlan on my M4300, but I can on my GS752tp?
  • Why (in terms more clear and less ambiguous than the Netgear docs, explain my I would (or if I should) use auto voip-vlan and why I would (if I should ) use Voice VLAN? 
  • In my testing, my phone loses its connection if I turn on OUI-based VLAN with my phone’s MAC address. Does this mean the protocol based isn’t doing anything, and the phone cuts out when I use OUI because it IS working but not properly passing through VLAN 20?
  • What's "Class?" is it a true classification (and if so what are the definitions of each of the numbers) or is it a rating system wher higher #s get priority. Because my Smart Switch has a max of 7, but my Fully Managed switch only goes up to 6.
Details are below.

Thanks!

Jeff

GS752TPv2
  • Data vlan 1 (default). Phone on vlan 20.
  • Auto-VOIP enabled on all ports, protocol based, Traffic Class 7. Also enabled on LAG 1, which is my uplink to my main switch
  • Voice VLAN  Interface Mode VLAN ID: 20. COS Override, Op State disabled, auth mode enabled. DSCP Value 0
  • VLAN Membership:
  • 1 untagged all ports excerpt LAG 1, which is tagged as it’s an uplink trunk
  • 20 tagged on all ports
  • PVID = 1, VLAN member 1,20, VLAN tag = 20 (“1,20” on uplink LAG).

Uplink goes into…
M4300-24X24F
  • Auto-VLAN disabled except on LAG 7 and LAG 13 (downlink from other switch, uplink to gateway, respectively).
  • VLAN Membership
  • 1 untagged on all ports except LAG 7 (the downlink) 
  • 20 tagged on 13 (to my gateway), but for some reason I cannot tag VLAN 20 on LAG 7. It tells me “VLAN participation change is not allowed on Auto-VoIP VLAN ( 20 )” So how do I set up a trunk between the two? Don’t you have to tag everything between switches?
  • PVID =1, VLAN Member 1 on all ports, VLAN tag = none all most ports. on LAG 7 (downlink): VLAN Tag = 1 because I cannot, for some reason tag vlan 20.

Phone is Avaya 9608G.

Model: GS752TPv2|48-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JeffAtK2
Guide

Hi,

GOT IT WORKING!!!!

If anyone is interested, I finally got it working. I think all my previous combinations of settings were actually making it work then not then yes againn, but I never got an IP via DHCP because my router didn't know about the vlan or go baffled by the other switch between the two (I had plugged the new swotch into the old switch, not directly into the router). I had thought making the voice port untagged on the uplink port would be allow the router to hand out an address, regardless how it got there; maybe not?

Again, here's the equipment involved:

Switches:
Netgear GS752TPv2
Netgear XS24x24F (data from the 752 is uplinked to this; I'm slowly building a star topology)

Phones: Avaya 9608G

Gateway: Sophos UTM SG230

I finally reset everything to default (manually, I just turned all the voice vlan and auto-voip off; not a full system reset). Then, this seems to be what got it working:

• Enabled Auto-VoIP on all ports except my data uplink LAG to my main data switch (l1 on ports 51 and 52 in my case). I kept the Traffic Class at 6. I am still unclear as to the definition of this, but it's the default so I left it there.
  • I left OUI disabled.
  • VLAN 1 is untagged on all ports and LAGs except port 48, which is my uplink port to my phone port on my router (more about that below). it's not on port 48 at all because that's only for phone.
  • VLAN 4088 is untagged on all ports except the data uplink lag, which is for data only. I think this just happened when I set up Auto_VoIP because I didn't think you could have more than one untagged VLAN on a port. With all the tinkering, I really can't remember if I explicitly did anything.
  • Voice VLAN enabled for all ports except data uplink LAG Interface Mode VLAN ID, value 4088 (see attached).
  • Under System/LLDP/LLDP Port Settings on all interfaces except data uplink: Admin Status: Tx and Rx, Auto Advertise, Notification Enable, Optional TLVs Disable.
  • Now, phone is on the New Phone subnet on VLAN 4088 (I did not need to explicitely set this on the phone; I assume LLDP has something to do with that). Data is plugged into the back of my phone and getting an IP from my data LAN.
  • Also, I have to not panic when I see VLAN Membershio for 4088 changing on its own between tagged, untagged, and off. Auto-VoIP seems to make it do its own weird thing.
  • For good measure I also turned off PoE on port 48 (phone uplink).

Now, my gateway is a Sophos UTM. My current/old network has data going into one port and voice going to another. I still had a free one, so I set up another voice LAN on a separate subnet and connected the phone uplink from the switchj directly to it. I think one of my issues before was I was connecting it to the old switch, which in turn goes to the router, but maybe that was baffling it (it's got a different vlan specified but untagged, s I didn't think it mattered but naybe it does). Old switch is a Nortel 4550 stack. I just had to change my Firewall rules to allow this new phone network the same in/out WAN access as my old phone network (which is a BOATLOAD of ports going to/from the phone co.)

Maybe there's a way to do this where I wouldn't need the spare port on the gateway, but I don't care at this point, it works! Now, of course, I need to get couple more GS752TPs and some access switches for my data. Wish me luck!

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@JeffAtK2,

Let me inquire your concerns to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  I'll post here once I got a feedback.  

Not sure if this will help.  Let me share the article here and use it as your guide.  

What is the current firmware version of your M4300-24X24F and GS752TPv2? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
JeffAtK2
Guide

Hi,

GOT IT WORKING!!!!

If anyone is interested, I finally got it working. I think all my previous combinations of settings were actually making it work then not then yes againn, but I never got an IP via DHCP because my router didn't know about the vlan or go baffled by the other switch between the two (I had plugged the new swotch into the old switch, not directly into the router). I had thought making the voice port untagged on the uplink port would be allow the router to hand out an address, regardless how it got there; maybe not?

Again, here's the equipment involved:

Switches:
Netgear GS752TPv2
Netgear XS24x24F (data from the 752 is uplinked to this; I'm slowly building a star topology)

Phones: Avaya 9608G

Gateway: Sophos UTM SG230

I finally reset everything to default (manually, I just turned all the voice vlan and auto-voip off; not a full system reset). Then, this seems to be what got it working:

• Enabled Auto-VoIP on all ports except my data uplink LAG to my main data switch (l1 on ports 51 and 52 in my case). I kept the Traffic Class at 6. I am still unclear as to the definition of this, but it's the default so I left it there.
  • I left OUI disabled.
  • VLAN 1 is untagged on all ports and LAGs except port 48, which is my uplink port to my phone port on my router (more about that below). it's not on port 48 at all because that's only for phone.
  • VLAN 4088 is untagged on all ports except the data uplink lag, which is for data only. I think this just happened when I set up Auto_VoIP because I didn't think you could have more than one untagged VLAN on a port. With all the tinkering, I really can't remember if I explicitly did anything.
  • Voice VLAN enabled for all ports except data uplink LAG Interface Mode VLAN ID, value 4088 (see attached).
  • Under System/LLDP/LLDP Port Settings on all interfaces except data uplink: Admin Status: Tx and Rx, Auto Advertise, Notification Enable, Optional TLVs Disable.
  • Now, phone is on the New Phone subnet on VLAN 4088 (I did not need to explicitely set this on the phone; I assume LLDP has something to do with that). Data is plugged into the back of my phone and getting an IP from my data LAN.
  • Also, I have to not panic when I see VLAN Membershio for 4088 changing on its own between tagged, untagged, and off. Auto-VoIP seems to make it do its own weird thing.
  • For good measure I also turned off PoE on port 48 (phone uplink).

Now, my gateway is a Sophos UTM. My current/old network has data going into one port and voice going to another. I still had a free one, so I set up another voice LAN on a separate subnet and connected the phone uplink from the switchj directly to it. I think one of my issues before was I was connecting it to the old switch, which in turn goes to the router, but maybe that was baffling it (it's got a different vlan specified but untagged, s I didn't think it mattered but naybe it does). Old switch is a Nortel 4550 stack. I just had to change my Firewall rules to allow this new phone network the same in/out WAN access as my old phone network (which is a BOATLOAD of ports going to/from the phone co.)

Maybe there's a way to do this where I wouldn't need the spare port on the gateway, but I don't care at this point, it works! Now, of course, I need to get couple more GS752TPs and some access switches for my data. Wish me luck!

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements