× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Web Firmware Upgrade GS108Ev3 fails

dl42
Aspirant

Web Firmware Upgrade GS108Ev3 fails

Can anyone explain why you cannot upgrade the firmware on GS108Ev3 from firefox on linux?  In my case from V2.06.17 to ENV2.06.24EN.

After numerous attempts I noticed another comment elsewhere on the same subject where the user used a Windows machine and it worked.

The same just worked for me...MS Edge (!) on windows 10 VM upgrade works as you would expect!

What is the logic here that I am missing?

Message 1 of 6
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Web Firmware Upgrade GS108Ev3 fails

Hi @dl42,

I've tested this from my end, and doing it from Ubuntu:

Description:	Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Release:	22.04
Codename:	jammy

I get the following error upon uploading:

MikeD1234_0-1689527691623.png

However, W10/W11 etc. work fine.

I'll raise a bug for this. In the interim, if FW needs to be updated, if you can use a Windows machine.

Mike

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@MikeD1234 wrote:

Hi @dl42,

I've tested this from my end, and doing it from Ubuntu:

I get the following error upon uploading:

However, W10/W11 etc. work fine.

I'll raise a bug for this. In the interim, if FW needs to be updated, if you can use a Windows machine.

Something very strange in the way the Web server and/or the IP stack is implemented - this oddity exists since the very early days of the Plus switches. A long time entry in my bucket list notes 8-)

Message 3 of 6
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @schumaku@dl42,

I raised this with our engineering team, but they where unable to replicate it.

I then retried it on my test setup, and, unfortunately it's not occuring there either anymore.

I upgraded to latest FW, then downgraded to both .16 and .17, and then back to .24, and in all these occasions, the FW downgrade/upgrade is accepted through Firefox on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04).

Could you advise me of the use case of the switch, so I can see if I can replicate that more, in the sense of the same network settings?

Additionally, would either of you be willing to supply me with a Wireshark capture, of the network card, that connects to the network, before opening the browser in Ubuntu? Subsequently, then proceed with the steps until the error occurs, and download/forward this capture to me?

I will continue with some testing here, to see if I can get to the same issue again.

Mike

Message 4 of 6
dl42
Aspirant

Hi

Use case of the switch?

Mine is just connected to the firewall then other internal devices connected to it....nothing sophisticated as far as I'm concerned.  All on a /24 network.

I just tried taking the firmware back to 2.06.17.

Screen just sat there for more than 10 minutes as per the attached screenshot.

Refreshed browser screen and showed it was still on 2.06.24.

Rebooted and still on 2.06.24.

I am connected directly to the switch.

running Firefox 115.02(64bit) on

Release Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria 64-bit

Kernel Linux 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64

MATE 1.26.0.

not when I will be able to get round to generating wireshark......

Message 5 of 6
MikeD1234
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @dl42,

I tried it again, now on Linux Mint, exact versions as you are using, but, each time I downgrade or, upgrade, the firmware is accepted and it reloads the switch:

MikeD1234_0-1689950705472.png

Is there a possibility that you can provide me with the Wireshark capture? Now, you can filter out any traffic, that is not send/received from the switch itself, to do this, you do the following:

1. Install Wireshark (sudo apt install wireshark)
  2. Start Wireshark (sudo wireshark)
  3. Go to Capture -> and select Options
    MikeD1234_1-1689951035149.png
  4. In options, select your network card, and then in filter, enter host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, replace xxx with your switch's IP address, and then press Start
    MikeD1234_2-1689951094956.png
  5. Then open the GUI of the switch, enter FW loader mode, and perform the steps.
  6. Once it's replicated, you can stop the capture
    MikeD1234_3-1689951183414.png
  7. If you can then save this capture, and forward it to me, I will send a PM with a sharepoint link, where the file can be uploaded.

As soon as I have this, I'll supply it to our engineering team for further investigation, as I am unable to replicate it anymore. I have tried both Ubuntu and the exact version of Linux + Firefox as you are using currently.

Mike

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements