× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What router support is needed to setup VLAN with GS308T

arlobit
Aspirant

What router support is needed to setup VLAN with GS308T

Hello,

I have a new GS308T switch and want to setup a few VLANs on my home network.  What features do I need to have available in my router?  My router currently is a Linksys EA7300. I Want to isolate 2 pcs on my network so they can access the internet via the router, but not access other pcs on my network or see any traffic on those other pcs.  Should I be able to simply plug this switch into my router to achieve this isolation of the 2 pcs once the VLAN is setup?

Message 1 of 2
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: What router support is needed to setup VLAN with GS308T

@arlobit 

GS308T supports VLANs but does not support inter-VLAN routing and does not come with a DHCP server. On the other hand, Linksys EA7300 is not VLAN-aware. So, it is not as simple as plugging the switch into the router. If you want to use VLANs on GS308T for the network isolation, the typical solution would be replacing the router with one that is VLAN-aware and setting up a ‘router on a stick’ configuration. I’ve used one of Netgate routers for this in the past and pfSense that runs on it is very robust and rather easy to setup. To add Wi-Fi to this, you could still use Linksys EA7300 in the access point mode. There are also rather expensive VLAN-aware Wi-Fi routers.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements