× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS716T compatible modules and cables for SFP+ port?

ger24
Tutor

XS716T compatible modules and cables for SFP+ port?

Hi all,

does anyone know that

1.is it doable to use SFP cable(not SFP+) on XS716T's SFP+ port and which brand/type of SFP cable is compatible?

2. is it compatible to use RJ45-to-SFP+ module on XS716T's SFP+ port?(i would like to link CAT6A cable of 10Gb speed to this switch's SFP+ port)

3. is there any suggested SFP+ cables which offer great compatibility for XS716T?

thank you so much

Model: XS716T|16-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper/SFP+ Combo Ports
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: XS716T compatible modules and cables for SFP+ port?

You can use SFP 1G modules in the SFP+ slot to establish a 1G link to a device with a 1G SFP slot, e.g. fiber or 1000BASE-T. What does not work are SFP+ DAC cables for such a set-up.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@ger24 wrote:

1.is it doable to use SFP cable(not SFP+) on XS716T's SFP+ port and which brand/type of SFP cable is compatible?

DAC (short passive ones, longer active ones) only exist for SFP+. These typically don't work for SFP to SFP connections, and can't be used to connect a SFP to an SFP+ device.

@ger24 wrote:

2. is it compatible to use RJ45-to-SFP+ module on XS716T's SFP+ port?(i would like to link CAT6A cable of 10Gb speed to this switch's SFP+ port)

Look for Netgear AXM765-SFP+ Transceiver 10GBASE-T, Model: AXM765 - comptibles at your own risk.

@ger24 wrote:

3. is there any suggested SFP+ cables which offer great compatibility for XS716T?

As Netgear does not check module vendor IDs et all - you can buy from the free market. Potential compatibility issues (new, later, ...) can happen. Passive (shorter) SFP+ DAC cables should not be cumbersome.

Disclaimer: Can't and won't promise anything - we are on our own 8-)

Message 2 of 4
ger24
Tutor

hello schumaku, thanks for providing answer!

i would like to clarify my first question that,

will the connection work in 1G speed if plugging SFP module to the XS716T's SFP+ port to link to other equipement's(such as NETGEAR switches) SFP port?

(I guess the SFP+ port allow to use SFP module with 1G speed to transmit data.)

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

You can use SFP 1G modules in the SFP+ slot to establish a 1G link to a device with a 1G SFP slot, e.g. fiber or 1000BASE-T. What does not work are SFP+ DAC cables for such a set-up.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements