× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS716T ports and spec limitations

ger24
Tutor

XS716T ports and spec limitations

just read the data sheet: https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/switches/SmartSwitches/XS708T_XS712Tv2_XS716T_XS728T_XS748T...

In order to aviod making mistakes on configuring XS716T,  I would like to solve some doubts on the specs and use.

1. is this switch supports only VLAN 1 and 255 more random VLAN IDs?(totally 256 VLANs) is it gonna prevent me from creating more than 256 VLAN IDs?

2. all the ports' MTU(including SFP+) must be configured together with same number? they cannot be configured with different numbers?

3. is it doable to aggregate the two SFP+ ports together for both uplink(to firewall, for example) and management(due to other 16 ports are occupied)? I'm thinking about aggregating SFP+ ports as uplink to other network device and also use them to manage XS716T remotely.

4. The mark on the XS716T categorized port 15T, 16T and the two SFP+ ports as "combo ports", and the data sheet said the SFP+ ports are "shared". how and what do they share?

5. does the XS716T always use boot version B1.0.0.11 and never update(til now)? i only discover the change of firmware to version 7.0.0.20

hope my questions are not so stupid:) thanks for reading this post~!

Model: XS716T|16-Port 10-Gigabit Copper Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 Copper/SFP+ Combo Ports
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: XS716T ports and spec limitations

@ger24 wrote:

I found that when using port 15T/16T(RJ45) the port 15F/16F(SFP) cannot be used. port T and port F can't be operated simultaneously. 

On switch port 15 you can use either 15T or 15F, on 16 you can use either 16T or 16F

@ger24 wrote:

which means there are totally 16 ports on XS716T can be used simultaneously, is it?

Yes, 16 switch ports - as the product name shows.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@ger24 wrote:

1. is this switch supports only VLAN 1 and 255 more random VLAN IDs?(totally 256 VLANs) is it gonna prevent me from creating more than 256 VLAN IDs?

Yes, the Web UI (and probably the core) does not allow more.

@ger24 wrote:

2. all the ports' MTU(including SFP+) must be configured together with same number? they cannot be configured with different numbers?

What is the point of limiting the MTU on a plain L2 switch which can't participate in the Path MTU Discovery? If a router or host on the link has limited capabilities, it will tell to the host initiating the connection. In reality, I can't see any disadvantage, we're keeping the MTU as wide open as possible on your networks.

@ger24 wrote:

3. is it doable to aggregate the two SFP+ ports together for both uplink(to firewall, for example) and management(due to other 16 ports are occupied)? I'm thinking about aggregating SFP+ ports as uplink to other network device and also use them to manage XS716T remotely.

Sure, the SFP+ ports can be used in a LAG - however you can use 16 ports only in total, see point 4 below.

@ger24 wrote:

4. The mark on the XS716T categorized port 15T, 16T and the two SFP+ ports as "combo ports", and the data sheet said the SFP+ ports are "shared". how and what do they share?

The logical switch ports 15 and 16 can be used either with the copper port _or_ with an SFP/SFP+ module.

@ger24 wrote:

5. does the XS716T always use boot version B1.0.0.11 and never update(til now)? i only discover the change of firmware to version 7.0.0.20

Two independent layers resp. versions. Boot can be upgraded as part of the firmware upgrade if required.

Message 2 of 4
ger24
Tutor

hi schumaku,

i just recalled doubts on question 4,

after doing some googling about the def. of  "combo port", I found that when using port 15T/16T(RJ45) the port 15F/16F(SFP) cannot be used. port T and port F can't be operated simultaneously. 

which means there are totally 16 ports on XS716T can be used simultaneously, is it?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@ger24 wrote:

I found that when using port 15T/16T(RJ45) the port 15F/16F(SFP) cannot be used. port T and port F can't be operated simultaneously. 

On switch port 15 you can use either 15T or 15F, on 16 you can use either 16T or 16F

@ger24 wrote:

Yes, 16 switch ports - as the product name shows.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements