× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XS748T configuration for NDI

dxmplp
Follower

XS748T configuration for NDI

Hi, we have a client which have a quite simple setup. It's a video production company with multiple workstations (audio/video), some are wired and other wireless. They use a Unifi Dream Machine SE as a router and a Netgear ProSafe XS748T as a switch. All wired workstations are connected to the switch.

Recently, they wanted to have NDI devices in a couple of their video editing rooms. Knowing that this switch model should work with NDI, we went ahead and sold them a couple of BirdDog Play devices that we connected to the switch.

Everything works so they can playback from Adobe Premiere Pro or Davinci Resolve through NDI tools installed on their Mac (in this case, iMac Pro with macOS 13.6.4).  But we have a minor issue as we get constant glitches in the NDI signal (1080p) that look like skipped frames at each second or so, visible in the Studio Monitor.

I know we have to configure the switch in a proper way for multicast purpose, but I need help with all the required settings. I followed a few guidelines I found in this community about other Netgear switch models (like the XS728T), but I'm not sure of which settings are absolutely required for this model. I played around the configuration panel a bit, but the issue is still there. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: XS748T configuration for NDI

NDI in general does not come with the requirement for making use of IGMP/MLD Multicast.

IGMP Multicast comes into the game when distributing the -same- video stream to multiple destinations. This "magic" does initially not happen on the switch, it's much more a question on the video routing, grouping receivers accessing the very same stream (like for live TV, or for the sake a live camera). 

Yes, technically NDI can support multiple concurrent video streams on a single network, eg. in the distribution area to multiple receivers, or in a VPS, a Virtual Private Cloud environment.

Technically, all the Netgear Smart Switches are able to deal with one or multiple IGMP Multicast groups in the same VLAN or - routing and IGMP multicast distribution routing permitting - multiple VLANs.

From the switch prospective, there is nothing more to do than enabling the Switch IGMP Snooping per VLAN. And yes, this covers both IGMP (IPv4) and MLD (IPv6).

IGMP Snooping VLAN Configuration.PNG

While Multicast routers route Multicast packets between IP subnets, Multicast-capable Layer 2 switches forward Multicast packets to registered nodes within a LAN or VLAN. A typical setup involves a router that forwards the Multicast streams between private and/or public IP networks, a device with IGMP snooping capabilities, and a Multicast client that wants to receive a Multicast stream. In this setup, the router sends IGMP (IPv4) and MLD (IPv6) queries periodically.

In the absence of a Multicast router, the IGMP Snooping Querier is used to support a Layer 2 Multicast domain of snooping switches . For example, where Multicast content is provided by a local server, but the router (if one exists) on that network does not support Multicast.

In case you intend to extend your valuable competence for assisting your customers, don't hesitate to contact 

NETGEAR for their design services to support partners as they design and deploy professional audio and video solutions which require IP networking infrastructure e.g here or by email ProAVDesign@netgear.com 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements