× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

switch port isolation

Rimsa
Tutor

switch port isolation

Good morning,
I wanted to isolate the ports on my net-gear gs724ts switch but I can't do it so I'm stuck. I would like someone to help me please
Message 1 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Re: switch port isolation

Whatever you have in mind...

The GS724TS - dated from summer 2009 in it's core - does certainly allow configuring and operating multiple VLANs according to Dot1q, aka. IEEE 802.1Q, just like any other Netgear Plus, Smart, or Managed switch.

Should you really seeking for port isolation - so it will not send from one isolated port to another - what could be useful in a multi-tenant environment, for example, where clients should be unable to send traffic to each other, you need to look into the manged switch class, regardeless which brand. In this case, you can configure certain ports on a device in isolation mode. Ports that are in isolation mode are allowed to communicate only to upstream ports, and not to downstream ports. This improves the security of the network and provides a flexible network solution, coming at a cost.

Message 2 of 16
Rimsa
Tutor

Good Morning
I did port isolation but when I try to send a dhcp there are no dhcp frames passing through.

Message 3 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@Rimsa wrote:
Good Morning
I did port isolation but when I try to send a dhcp there are no dhcp frames passing through.

Good morning @Rimsa 

Tell us more what you have configured, or what you intended to configure. Some screenshots might help.

Back to the original question: Talking of Protected Ports, or of VLAN configurations (what can be tagged ports for trunk usage), or access ports for individual VLANs?

Security > Traffic Control > Protected Ports > Protected Ports Membership

or

Switching > VLAN > Advanced  ... 

While you mentioned some GS724TS before, how come the GS308EPP is tagged with each of your posts?

Message 4 of 16
Rimsa
Tutor

There I created the vlan2

Capture d’écran 2024-02-22 104541.png

then on Membership I can't do anything, I can't modify the parameters there

Capture d’écran 2024-02-22 104602.png

and I specify the ports I want on my vlan2

Capture d’écran 2024-02-22 104624.png

Message 5 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Bienvenue @Rimsa 

Appears your modern browser is struggling on these very legacy Web UI design and implementation dating back from the year 2006 or so. This is how it is supposed to look, here an example of a (admit much newer) switch UI:

old NTGR Web UI VLAN Memberships.PNG

Worth a try would be to use e.g. Firefox or Edge (where Edge does come with a lot of legacy Internet Explorer compatibility when I have it right). You could use Internet Explorer mode in Microsoft Edge (available on all platforms supported by M$ Edge, including Apple Macs just in case.

Excellent - you have the PVID already defined for VLAN 2. Many users are struggling with this part of the VLAN concepts.

PS. So we are talking about VLANs, not the subject "port isolation" what is a very different beast in switch design, implementation, and management.

Message 6 of 16
Rimsa
Tutor

I just tried with another browser such as Firefox Chrome Microsoft Edge
It still does not work
Message 7 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Please review the link provided on how to operate Edge in IE mode.

Message 8 of 16
Rimsa
Tutor

Capture d’écran 2024-02-22 113340.png

when I put internet explorer mode I got this result
Message 9 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Sorry to hear. Keep in mind I'm just yet another user and community member, with no access to these legacy devices.

Some community members reported success before, alternate use https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla%20Firefox%2C%20Portable%20Ed./ e.g. back from the 3.5.x times.

Unfortunately, the -paid- moderators are hiding well here - yes, I'm not impressed at all. Netgear should fire lot of these 3rd parties for not doing thier paid job, in my opinion -now-.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 10 of 16
Rimsa
Tutor

It's not a big deal but thanks anyway
Message 11 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@Rimsa wrote:

Capture d’écran 2024-02-22 113340.png

when I put internet explorer mode I got this result

Already tried to drop/empty the browser cache, and done a forced reload?

Message 12 of 16
Rimsa
Tutor

Hello I finally managed to configure the Netgear Internet Explorer mode
but I have a problem I'm trying to isolate 3 ports on my switch to be able to pass another dhcp but I can't do it I would like help.
Message 13 of 16
schumaku
Guru

DHCP runs either by default on the same broadcast domain and IP subnet, and sometimes beyond the subnet on a DHCP relay typically configured on a switch.

Message 14 of 16
Rimsa
Tutor

actually my problem is that I have a router (zyxel) then a level 2 switch (netgears)
so in my router I send an ip 192.168.255.0 in dhcp then on the port of this ip I also send a vlan plus in my netgear switch I want to isolate 2 ports to be able to pass 192.168.255.0 and a vlan but I try but I can't, so I would like someone to help me do it.
Message 15 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Nothing one can do on the ubiquitous consumer and SOHO class routers supporting one LAN and IP Subnet only.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements