× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Command line help

goudeuk
Aspirant

Command line help

Hello everyone

Could someone please explain, what is the difference between: switchport access vlan 5592 and vlan participation include 5592

I'm aware what switchport access vlan 5592 does but I'm confused about vlan participation include 5592. In the manual says that the interface is always a member of this VLAN but is it not, what switchport access vlan 5592 does?🙄

are they both needed in a port?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Command line help

Hi @goudeuk ,

😉 What do you mean by, "not free"? If you update the firmware of your M4250 switch like I told you above, you will see the AV UI login when connecting to the switch P address in your browser. The AV User Interface comes standard with M4250 and M4300 switches for AV over IP applications. Please visit www.netgear.com/proav and more specifically this:   https://www.netgear.com/business/solutions/proav-resources/listing-filter/video/

You'll see plenty of videos and I hope, it will make you impatient to use it instead of our IT CLI?

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @goudeuk ,

Thank you for your message. First of all, you should not use the "IT GUI" or the "CLI" to configure M4250 switches or M4300 switches for AV over IP. We designed the AV User Interface for that reason so that VLANs and profiles are configured just right for you.

Can you update your M4250 to our latest firmware (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/M4250.aspx#download) and factory-reset before starting with the AV user interface?

To answer your question, in the IT GUI/CLI side you have three port modes for VLANs. Our default General port mode with legacy vlan participation include, pvid, and tagging; then you have the Access port mode with only the Access VLAN, and then you have the Trunk mode with trunks and native VLAN. The General port mode is our default and you can achieve both Access and Trunk with that mode. You must forget about the PVID in your case, which is needed on top of the VLAN participation include, for the untagged traffic. We should never mix and match the General port mode commands with the Access port mode commands or Trunk port mode commands - this would destroy the VLAN behavior for sure. That is why we have the AV UI, you don't have to worry about it anymore. In the background, we use the General port mode in the switch to apply your VLAN/Profile configuration in the AV UI.

Please come to us at ProAVDesign@netgear.com , one of us can help you for sure!

Message 2 of 5
goudeuk
Aspirant

Dear Laurent

Thank you for your reply. I was not aware about the AV UI but I suspect is not free. Is there a demo page I could have a look at?

Message 3 of 5
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @goudeuk ,

😉 What do you mean by, "not free"? If you update the firmware of your M4250 switch like I told you above, you will see the AV UI login when connecting to the switch P address in your browser. The AV User Interface comes standard with M4250 and M4300 switches for AV over IP applications. Please visit www.netgear.com/proav and more specifically this:   https://www.netgear.com/business/solutions/proav-resources/listing-filter/video/

You'll see plenty of videos and I hope, it will make you impatient to use it instead of our IT CLI?

Message 4 of 5
goudeuk
Aspirant

Hi Laurent

I misunderstood you.  I thought you were referring to a new UI, separate from the UI that comes with the switches. Anyway, confusion cleared now, thank you.

Also, thank you for the link, I already found a video that would be useful to me, e.g. "NDI switch config".

Have a good day. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR