× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Is the GS316PP suitable for handling POE devices as well as Dante devices

JayH71
Aspirant

Is the GS316PP suitable for handling POE devices as well as Dante devices

Looking to check if the GS316PP is suitable for use with 7 POE+ devices, 2 Dante Mic devices and Dante DSP device on a standalone network in a room?

Model: GS316|16 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Is the GS316PP suitable for handling POE devices as well as Dante devices

Probably not. Start here: Audinate Support: Networks and Switches 

When you start reading you might have the impression that "any" (ideally Gigabit) Ethernet switch can be used. This must be a very aged device.

First obvious killer is the misleading "green Ethernet" - in fact this is Energy Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az), which is always enabled (because this is a standard requirement today).

Next limitation can be that Dante does require PTPv1 and/or PTPv2 multicast (and more) support - PTP in Dante devices and AES67-enabled Dante devices  

FMI: 300 Series SOHO Gigabit Ethernet Switches Data Sheet 

For trouble-free Dante (or similar!) operation I would strongly suggest to deploy ProAV Equipment only.

Message 2 of 3
JayH71
Aspirant

Re: Is the GS716TP suitable for handling POE devices as well as Dante devices

Thanks for your advice yesterday on my previous switch choice.

I have looked again following the advice you gave and have discussed with colleagues using the GS716TP which seems to cover the POE+ and Dante requirements that we need.

POE devices: Wolfvision Visualiser - Extron DMP 64 Plus C AT - Extron TLP Pro 725M - Extron IPCP Pro S1 xi - 2 x Extron AXI 22 AT D - Sennheiser SL MCR 2 DW-3

Dante devices: Extron DMP 64 Plus C AT - 2 x Extron AXI 22 AT D - Sennheiser SL MCR 2 DW-3

Model: GS716T|16 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR