× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

Which Netgear switches support PTP?

fkerrin
Follower

Which Netgear switches support PTP?

Hi

I'd like to know which Netgear switches support PTP and whether they support PTP v2.1. I'd also like to know if they can act as PTP boundary clock. I notice that the M4250 range support PTP v2 but there's no mention of v2.1 or boundary clock mode.

I also notice from the documentation that the M4250 range support RIP but do they also support OSPF?

Thanks,

Frank

Message 1 of 3
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Which Netgear switches support PTP?

Hi @fkerrin ,

None of our ProAV (Managed) switches comes with PTP Boundary Mode, this is why you won't find any mention of it in our datasheets. For instance, the M4250 AV Line offers PTPv2 Transparent Clock (1-step end to end) only. The datasheet is here.

Our PTP TC is PTPv2, but PTPv2.1 should include backward-compatibility to PTPv2 anyway.

The M4250 series only support static routes, or RIP for unicast. We support PIM, but only on top of these unicast routes. So no OSPF in M4250, for this we offer the M4300 series instead.

If you are after OSPF, PIM, and PTP Boundary mode, it would mean you have SMPTE (ST2110 /AES67) applications. I am sorry to tell you, that we don't support SMPTE at NETGEAR today.

Never say never, but as a public company we don't want to comment on future projects. At this time of writing, there is no SMPTE at all in the NETGEAR ProAV Line of switches. For broadcast, we are already certified for NDI and IPMX, on the other hand.

I hope this helps.

Message 2 of 3
JohnHenkel
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Which Netgear switches support PTP?

FYI, we do now have support for SMPTE ST 2110 on 2 of the M4350 models:

Be sure to contact the Pro AV Design Team with any questions:  ProAVDesign@netgear.com.

-John

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR