× Get free training on Switching for AV over IP and receive AVIXA Credits. Sign up at NETGEAR.academy

m4300 problem with axm765

JohnT82
Aspirant

m4300 problem with axm765

Hello all,

I have bought four Netgear m4300 switches and 6 AXM765 modules. I have mount the AXM on the switch but nothing happened. It seems to be dead. Of course, I have changed the modules but the problem still exists.

Should I do some more configuration in the switch?

Thank you in advance.

Model: GSM4328PA|M4300-28G-PoE+ - 24x1G PoE+ Stackable Managed Switch with 2x10GBASE-T and 2xSFP+ (550W PSU)
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: m4300 problem with axm765

Unclear what you expect to "happen".

Note the AXM756 will only link to 10GbaseT ports on the M4300/M4250 STP+ ports.

Message 2 of 8
JohnT82
Aspirant

Firstly, thank you for your answer,
Therefore, if I connect on this port a PC, nothing will happen right?
I connected the two SFP+ ports together on the same switch and I saw traffic, then I realize that SFP+ ports will work only if on the other side is another SFP+ port switch.
I cannot use it as an access port to connect a PC for example?

On a Mikrotik switch the SFP port is an access port and I have connect a PC. On the Netgear this is not posible.

So, I have another question, I don't know if I have to ask here or to change thread.
Those four Netgear switches I will use them as a stack. However, I am not sure what should I do, should I create VLANs and the whole configuration on every one of them or I should configure the first one and through stacking, will exchange information?

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

If your PD does have a 10 GbE adapter, you can. The point is there is no speed Auto Negotiation, neither on an SFP nor on an SFP+ port. In case you want to access that specific SFP+ port from a PC with a 1GbE copper port only, you need to use a AXM734.

By default all ports including the SFP+ are preset as access ports. For stack usage, the ports need to be changed to stack mode. Very similar to your other switch make.

Afraid both your conclusions are wrong.

All switches added to the stack are managed from a single point, VLANs added become available all over the stack.

Is the intention to operate the stack with switches on physical different locations, using 10 GbE over copper media? Be aware the 10 GbE reach is limited due to the limited power available to an SFP/SFP+ port. Another industry standard hitting all vendors - before you ask. SFP/SFP+ is made for fiber originally - and there is no link speed negotiation, too.

The "classic" v1 does cover max. 30 meters, the newer v2 does allow max. 80 meters. 

Message 4 of 8
JohnT82
Aspirant

Crystal clear! Thank you!

Now, about the other question,

The case is that I have already configure the first switch, with VLANs and my question is, if I stack them, VLAN information will pass from one switch to another automatically or I have to configure each switch with the VLAN information?

I know what stack and trunk do, but I am not sure about information exchange. I know that stacked switches operate as one and Trunking used when we want to allow VLAN information to pass through our switches.

I am trying to find out can I use both?

Thank you in advance!!

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Answering from the road: In my understanding, the existing stack does automatically expand to newly added stack members. @LaurentMa can certainly confirm 8-)

Message 6 of 8
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Team,

This is correct. The Stack management unit holds the configuration for the whole stack, so the VLAN database is the same for all switches in the stack. Stack links carry all VLANs, no need to "trunk" them (and you can't do that on port configured in stack mode and/or running in stack mode). Of course, you still have to tell which ports belong to which VLANs finally on the new added stack member switches, for instance in accesss mode or in trunk mode (again, not stack ports). 

I hope this helps,

Regards

Message 7 of 8
JohnT82
Aspirant

Good morning Laurent,

Tomorrow (05/04/2022) I am going to install the other three switches, the one that is already installed has the entire database with VLANs etc, so fingers crossed, it will advertise the whole database to other three switches.

So I will inform the team what happened.

Thank you all for the answers, have a great day!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

AV over IP Switches by NETGEAR