× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow network performance with ReadyNASOS 6.4.2 (RC1)

DoctorBrown
Apprentice

Slow network performance with ReadyNASOS 6.4.2 (RC1)

Since I upgrade to the 6.4.2 (RC1) firmware, the network performance has dropped more than 40%. Prior to installing this version I was able to get almost 500 Mbps transfer rate between my ReadyNAS and my system. Now the transfer rate is about 280 Mbps. I have not changed anything in my network and I'm able to get 600 Mbps to my second Windows system.

I have checked the network configuration and I have enabled Jumbo frames on the NAS and my system.

What has happened to cause this and when wil it be fixed?

Message 1 of 20
StephenB
Guru

What NAS model?

Is the version of Windows on the two PCs different?

Is the antivirus service disabled on the NAS?

Is IPv6 disabled on the NAS?

Message 2 of 20
DoctorBrown
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

What NAS model?

ReadyNAS 102

@StephenB wrote:

Is the version of Windows on the two PCs different?

Yes.I have tried this with 3 PC.

Main: Win 7 x64 Pro

2nd: Win Server 2012 R2

3rd: Laptop Win 7 Pro (x32)

For clarification, the 600 Mbps rate was from the Main PC to the Server PC. The transfer rate from the Win Server 2012 to the NAS is about 400 Mbps. But I don't have any prior data for that system.  The transfer rate on the two Win 7 systems to the NAS is similar at about 280-300 Mbps.

@StephenB wrote:

Is the antivirus service disabled on the NAS?

Yes

@StephenB wrote:

No.

I also tested with the antivirus disabled on the PCs.

Message 3 of 20
StephenB
Guru

WIN Server 2012 will negotiate Samba 3.0, while the Win7 systems will use Samba 2.1.  So that might partly explain the difference.

Message 4 of 20
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DoctorBrown,

You might want to install the SMB plus add-on and select other types of SMB versions and see if the SMB performance improves.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which firmware did you update from?

Message 6 of 20
DoctorBrown
Apprentice

@mdgm wrote:

WIN Server 2012 will negotiate Samba 3.0, while the Win7 systems will use Samba 2.1.

@mdgm wrote:

You might want to install the SMB plus add-on and select other types of SMB versions and see if the SMB performance improves.

I have no data about what the transfer rate was with Windows Server 2012 prior to the firmware update. The reason for using that system was to demonstrate that my Main PC is capable highside of 700 Mbps. This shows that the network performance bottleneck is not caused by my Main PC or Network.

My main issue is that with no known change on the Main Windows 7 x64 PC or my local network, there has been a severe drop in the transfer rate once I updated my ReadyNAS 102 to 6.4.2 (RC1)

The Samba 3.0 may explain why the Win Srv 2012 transfer rate is greater than from my Main PC, but not why the NAS performance is suffering.

@mdgm wrote:

Which firmware did you update from?

I believe it was 6.2.5.

Message 7 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@DoctorBrown wrote:

I have no data about what the transfer rate was with Windows Server 2012 prior to the firmware update. The reason for using that system was to demonstrate that my Main PC is capable highside of 700 Mbps. This shows that the network performance bottleneck is not caused by my Main PC or Network.

Understood.  Your NAS won't be as fast as a Windows Server.  You'd need a business class NAS for that.

You might try testing with a tool called NasTester (http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance). 

Several of us (me included) reported some performance dropoff with OS 6.4.x

My own RN102 (running 6.4.2-RC1) is measuring ~35 MB/s transfer speed - close to what you are reporting -  when I test it with a Win7 system.  My RN102 is used only for backup, so the speed is still fast enough for me. But I was seeing ~50 MB/s write speeds and ~70 MB/s read speeds last spring.  It would be nice to get back to the original performance levels. 

Message 8 of 20
DoctorBrown
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

Understood.  Your NAS won't be as fast as a Windows Server.  You'd need a business class NAS for that.

True. I'm just trying to get the transfer rate back up where it was with my Main Windows 7 PC.

Message 9 of 20
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@DoctorBrown wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

No.

Can you disable IPv6 and try again? See this article -- http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30047/~/readynas-os-6%3A-ipv6-performance-on-readynas-...

You also said you're using Jumbo Frames -- why? And is every device in your network also setup to use Jumbo Frames?

Message 10 of 20
tdguenth
Aspirant

I have a similar performance issue. Using a ReadyNas 102 V6.4.1 and 3 different PC's, 2 with Windows 10 and 1 with Windows 7. All computers seem to handle large files ok(transfered a 100Mb file at about 50-60Mb/sec. to and from NAS But if i transfer a folder comprimised of many small files i never get over 3Mb/sec to and from NAS which is extremely daunting and time consuming when performing backups of my Lightroom library. It didn't start until just recently(withing 2-3weeks). Nothing in my network has changed, everything is connected at gigabit speeds acouding to the NIC status on all machines. I thought maybe my hard drives were going so i replaced them with brand new WD Red 2TB drives and no change. Intermittenly it even takes as long as a minute to just access the directories. Very dissapointing and hard to deal with on a daily basis.

Message 11 of 20
DoctorBrown
Apprentice

@kohdee wrote:
@DoctorBrown wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

No.

Can you disable IPv6 and try again? See this article -- http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30047/~/readynas-os-6%3A-ipv6-performance-on-readynas-...

You also said you're using Jumbo Frames -- why? And is every device in your network also setup to use Jumbo Frames?

If I disable IPv6 there is no change in transfer rate. Even though IPv6 is enabled on the NAS and PC, the connection from my NAS to my PC appears to be using IPv4.

I am using Jumbo Frames because I get about a 5% improvement in transfer rate. Yes, the jumbo frames are enabled on all the relevent devices, PC, NAS and switch that is interconnecting the two.

In a few days I will likely have definitive proof that the firmware is bad. I'm going to rebuild my NAS and install the previous version of the firmware. I'll post the results when I'm done.

Message 12 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Please send your logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Btw the production ReadyNAS OS 6.4.2 release is now available!

Message 13 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

tdguenth, I see you are using the anti-virus service. Can you try disabling that and see what difference it makes?

Message 14 of 20
tdguenth
Aspirant

Tried it this morning, unfortunately no luck.

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@tdguenth wrote:

Tried it this morning, unfortunately no luck.

Just to clarify - you need to disable the antivirus service (system->settings->services) not the antivirus plus app.

Some users have found that confusing.

Message 16 of 20
tdguenth
Aspirant

Yea, i got caught on that before. But i did disable it that way this time. Thanks.

Message 17 of 20
tdguenth
Aspirant

Any further information. My Ubuntu/Samba server does 80mb/s to 100mb/s regularly, so i not my network is not the pinch point.

Message 18 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@tdguenth wrote:

Any further information. My Ubuntu/Samba server does 80mb/s to 100mb/s regularly, so i not my network is not the pinch point.

Agreed.

I am now seeing ~70-75 MB/s for large file transfers with my RN102 in jbod (running 6.4.2).  I'd expect similar read speeds with xraid, but somewhat lower write speeds.  Are you still seeing 50-60?  How are you measuring them? (I use NASTester).

Lots of small files is definitely slower, but when transfering from the NAS you should be seeing about 10 MB/s.  Directory Transfers to the NAS might be around 3 MB/s (that is what smallnetbuilder found when they reviewed the NAS back in 2013).

Message 19 of 20
tdguenth
Aspirant

My read speeds are definetly better than a few weeks ago. I still see pretty slow write speeds, less than 50 Mb/s average. I can live with it overall, but it seems so intermittent which is what makes it difficult. One day it runs like lightning, the next like molasses.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements