× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.5.0-T338 (Beta 2) - Clarification regarding Amazon Cloud Drive syncing

edgrsanchez
Guide

6.5.0-T338 (Beta 2) - Clarification regarding Amazon Cloud Drive syncing

Just wanted to get some clarification. 

When I configured Amazon Cloud Drive syncing to one of my ReadyNAS Shares, "Photos", it said that it had to create a new share named "AmazonCloudDrive". The information was a bit ambiguous. 

So is my Photos share going to be copied to the AmazonCloudDrive share which will then be synced to my Amazon Cloud Drive account?

If so... that's going to take up a LARGE chunk of space on my NAS because my Photos share is close to a terabye worth of RAW files. 

Is this the intented design?

Also, when I'm on the ReadyNAS - Amazon Cloud Drive settings, it asks me how often I'd like to take Snapshots of the Photos share.

Is this normal? I had already set up the Photos share, within its own settings, to not create Snapshots... Why is the Cloud settings asking me again? Unless Snapshots is actually the term that Netgear is using for "Sync"? 

Also, there doesn't seem to be a manual Sync button. I just set it up and I don't see a way to kick off the sync. 

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 28
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

Re: 6.5.0-T338 (Beta 2) - Clarification regarding Amazon Cloud Drive syncing

The share sync will keep that folder in sync. The "AmazonCloudDrive" share will sync all of the data that you had in the Amazon Cloud Drive and ignore all of the shares that are retained on this NAS from being synced in a "syncing loop".

The Amazon Cloud Drive is a syncing type of backup. This would mean that the data that you have in the Amazon Cloud Drive servers is what you would have on your ReadyNAS. In an event that you would delete a file; the file would be deleted from the NAS and Amazon Cloud Drive server.

The syncing type of backup in mind; we have a snapshot capabilities on the ReadyNAS to make sure that you don't accidently delete your data. The option was exposed to you to make sure that in an event that you delete the file from your computer that gets synced to your Amazon Cloud Drive and NAS; the NAS will have a snapshot of that file to recover from if you choose to use the feature.

The syncing is automatic running on the box and is not on a schedule, so you would not need to "kick off" a sync since it should always be running.

I hope that gives you some insight on the behavior of Amazon Cloud Drive.

Message 2 of 28
ryanrk
Apprentice

Can we change the path location?  If i want to sync all my photos I would hate to have to change the path of them.  

Message 3 of 28
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

To dig into how it works a little more....

The NAS will backup to a folder ReadyNAS_<HostName> and this folder is ignored to sync down to the "AmazonCloudDrive" share. As for the shares that you choice to sync in your Amazon Cloud Drive will live inside the ReadyNAS_<HostName> with the share name. If you had a share named "Pictures"; it would looks something like "ReadyNAS_<HostName>/Pictures" in your Amazon Cloud Drive.

If you change the name of "Pictures" or ReadyNAS_<HostName>; there might be some sync issues and will resync back to this structure.

If you did not like your file/folder structure in the "Pictures" share, you would be able to change the content in the "ReadyNAS_<HostName>/Pictures" and that content will get synced between the ReadyNAS and Amazon Cloud Drive.

If you were talking about taking the content out of the ReadyNAS directories to restructure in a different method. There would be possible syncing differences, and I would be interested on how you would restructure the content.

Message 4 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

It would be very nice when the syncprocess can ignore specified Folders on ACD that are not synced localy.

Eg. on my Amazon Cloud Drive is already a Folder called "Backup" where I put Manualy some FIles, so I don't want this Folder synced back to my ReadyNAS.

When I move this Folder manualy in my Clouddrive to the "ReadyNAS_<HostName>\Backup" Folder my NAS Stops syncing, so this is not a workaround, also when I move this Folder on ACD in the trash for testing (I can Recover it from the Trash) it will be synced down to my ReadyNAS.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 5 of 28

I've turned Sync with Amazon Cloud Drive on, and selected Pictures and sync and have yet to see any photos appear in the Cloud Drive on amazons site (to confirm the process is working)... Curious what I'm missing here.

Thank you

Message 6 of 28

Bump - has anyone managed to get this to work?  Are you seeing it sync to your Amazon Cloud Drive and seeing activity in the logs?

Message 7 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No, it stops working and I can not reactivate it.

The Cloud Syncing works much smoother on a Synology, especially now with DSM 6.0.

Please Netgaer do it the same way...

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 8 of 28

Sweet, I'm not going crazy :P.  I called Amazon to see if they had any insight on their end and they had no clue passing me all the way to AWS support.  Hopefully it'll be enabled in a future beta?

Message 9 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Let us hope that Netgear make a complete rework of this. 

Message 10 of 28
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

I have Amazon Cloud Drive in use on my 6.5.0 right now.

It created a share called AmazonCloudDrive and then syncs that with the root of your AmazonCloudDrive.

It also created a new folder called ReadyNAS_rn314 (rn314 being my hostname). 

I also sync my "Pictures" share.

The "Pictures" folder that is in the root directory of my ACD is not the same as my Pictures share.

Therefore, I am not getting duplicate data from this.

I don't see where this would be duplicating data for you. 

Message 11 of 28
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Here's a screen shot of my settings.

Message 12 of 28

Odd, mine looks the exact same :/.  Is there anything in the logs?  I enable the sync, it has me log in with my Amazon Cloud Drive credentials, I see the spinning wheel on the ReadyNAS indicating it's setting everything up then nothing.

Message 13 of 28
msq
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would love to see this feature developer further.

First of all in my case I don't want to sync anything from ACD back to ReadyNAS, apart from keeping in sync selected shares. I'm using this feature with more than one NAS and don't want to see my content from the cloud multiplied all over the place. Especially I'm using as well StableBit CloudDrive so there is a lot of encrypted files. Yes, I know I can set ACD share to be synced 'Never' and turn off any services on this share as well. But that is rather workaround than a feature.

Next thing - encryption. Bascially T&C of ACD - as clarified here - are a bit blurry while clarifying what Amazon can do with your files. That is why I'm using SB CloudDrive for all my data stored in ACD. Can we see strong encryption build in this feature?

Schedule. It would be awesome if schedule will be extended the very same way as snapshot set up when smart management is set to off.

Next thing – sync (or rtather copy to the cloud) snapshots folders with deletion sync turned off. That will give us pretty much unlimited number of snapshots, not limited with NAS disk space….

Message 14 of 28

@msq - is your's actually syncing up to the ACD?

Message 15 of 28
msq
Apprentice
Apprentice

I enabled that to see how it works. Just selected one dummy share. Why you asking?

Message 16 of 28

Because I enabled it, checked sync, and nothing happens, nothing in logs.  I'm curious if anyones is actually communicating and populating on the Amazon side?

Message 17 of 28
msq
Apprentice
Apprentice

To be honest with you - I set up dummy share with one file and just played a while with settings. Then I came to this thread and posted my message.

But now I actually checked this on ACD side and seems like folders are created as expected, but there is nothing in it. I set up sync to run every hour, so I leave it overnight and will check in the morning. Will let you know if this sync will be successful. So far the folder on AACD is empty and LOGS tab in Cloud >> ACD Settings is empty.

Not sure if that is important – but as I can’t turn off the ‘AmazonCloudDrive’ share sync (the one that supposed to sync from ACD to ReadyNAS) – I set this up to sync ‘NEVER’.

Message 18 of 28
msq
Apprentice
Apprentice

One more thing - if you have SSH enabled on your ReadyNAS - in /var/log/frontview you'll find amazoncd.log that got some contect but it looks like a lot of noise - somethng like 40K of plaintext after a few minutes of messing with settings.....

Message 19 of 28
msq
Apprentice
Apprentice

Last update: I turned this entire feature off and revoked authorization to access my Cloud Drive.

Why? Because despite seeting sync from ACD to ReadyNAS to 'NEVER' it was downloading all my stuff 😞

And that is something I dont want, so assuming this is 'by design' - seems like it its current form this feature is not for me....

Message 20 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So now i have tried RC2 and ACD is still not working.

But I fix the Problem for me, I send back my RN204 and buy a Synology.

Message 21 of 28
NVroom
Initiate

It's working for me on the latest beta but im wondering if it uploads via encrypted methods or does it just use plain text?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 22 of 28
msq
Apprentice
Apprentice

Overall - it is working. But I dont' want to download everything from ACD back to my ReadyNAS. I would like to set up ACD sync on all my devices and sync it only one way - from NAS to ACD. So far I have to use a 3rd party tool running on my Windows machine to acheive that....

Message 23 of 28
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Hi msq,

I dont' want to download everything from ACD back to my ReadyNAS

=>Don't select Amazonclouddrive before press sync button, it won't download everything from ACD back to ReadyNAS,

I would like to set up ACD sync on all my devices and sync it only one way - from NAS to ACD

=>NAS local select Share only, it will sync it to Readynas_hostname/Share foder on ACD.

Message 24 of 28
msq
Apprentice
Apprentice

Don't select Amazonclouddrive before press sync button, it won't download everything from ACD back to ReadyNAS,

==> Doesn't work for me - the checkbox beside AmazonCloudDrive can't be removed. For shares I can check or uncheck - but not for ACD. All I can do is to leave snapshot schedule to NEVER, but it is still downloading everything....

http://i.imgur.com/SPsLlEf.png

NAS local select Share only, it will sync it to Readynas_hostname/Share foder on ACD

==> As explained above - doesn't  work for me. Apart from that - would be nice to have some encryption here....

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements