× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittant Boot Failure on NV+

powellandy1
Virtuoso

Intermittant Boot Failure on NV+

Hi

Not having much luck with my ReadyNASs currently.

I have an NV+ v1 that I have started using again as a backup to my 104.

Firmware 4.1.15 T3

The problem. When I turn it on it fails at 'Booting...' the LEDs alternate between LED3 and LED1-4 which apparently means 'OS image on NAND is corrupted, please perform NAND recovery through TFTP or USB'.

However, I found just powering down with the front power button and powering on again it boots fine. But when I turn it off or it auto-shutdowns and then on again - the same thing occurs, fixed just by power cycling.

It's out of warranty. It has been upgraded with 1GB RAM (passes all 8 cycles of the inbuilt memory test) and a Noctua B9 fan.

Logs emailed.

Thanks

Andy

Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Re: Intermittant Boot Failure on NV+

Do you still have the stock memory?

There have been several posts here from users who started getting weird behavior with upgraded memory when they upgraded to some of the newer firmware releases.

Message 2 of 18
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Yes I do. Shall I try putting it back??

It would be rather frustrating if it was.... the GUI is so much quicker!!

It did pass the memory test - is running it once enough??
A

Message 3 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@powellandy1 wrote:

Yes I do. Shall I try putting it back??

It would be rather frustrating if it was.... the GUI is so much quicker!!

It did pass the memory test - is running it once enough??
A

Try putting it back, and see if the bad behavior stops.  People who reported issues said the memory test passed (even when run for several passes).

Message 4 of 18
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Hi

Just tried and immediately after turning back on (after putting stock SODIMM back) and did exactly the same thing.

Also tried a factory reset.

A

Message 5 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello powellandy1,

Factory reset formats the disks causing data loss. I hope you have already backed up the data before you did the factory reset.

You may also try Skip Volume check option on the boot menu. Once you are able to log in to the admin page, check the logs. It is possible 1 disk or more have problems.

Regards,

Message 6 of 18
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Hi

I know what a factory reset does. It didn't help anyway.

I'll try skip volume check option - is that a per boot setting or a permenant setting??

The logs don't (to me at least) indicate any problems - I have emailed them in. I have upgraded the discs to firmware CC3D as per mdgm's advice and the SMART status looks fine.

Thanks

Andy

Message 7 of 18
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello powellandy1,

Once you are able to access the shares and files, have a full backup of the files then check the disks with diagnostic tools.

If same problem, you may really need to contact support center.

Regards,

Message 8 of 18
powellandy1
Virtuoso

I checked them when I upgraded their firmware.

Unfortunately it's out of warranty so I doubt support would help (although tell me if i'm wrong).

It would be strange for a disk failure though for it to be so repeatable wouldn't it - whenever I turn it on from cold/autostart the first time I get the LED3 light. When I turn off and on again its fine. If I was to turn off/auto-shutdown then i'd get LED3 again.

Are there any clues in the logs I emailed in??

Is it worth trying a USB firmware flash anyway (although I think the latest version available is 4.1.12 - does this matter)??

Thanks

Andy

Message 9 of 18
powellandy1
Virtuoso

A few more things that haven't worked:

- Reflashing 4.1.15T3

- OS reinstall from boot menu

- USB Recovery with 4.1.14 recovery image (and OS reinstall after)

Message 10 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Unfortunately it's out of warranty so I doubt support would help (although tell me if i'm wrong).

If you are the original purchaser, you can still request per-incident support (though there is a charge).  So you can contact the support center.

You haven't said if you have a full backup or not - do you?

Message 11 of 18
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Hi StephenB

The data on it isn't important. It's a backup of my NV+ v2 that now seems to be behaving itself. I've also just got a second hand Ultra4 that I will fill with 8TB drives in JBOD to back up the NV+ v2 and the misbehaving RN104.

I understand support charges are quite expensive, and i'm not sure what they can do that hasn't already been done - I presume I'd have to pay even if no answer is found. And given all I need to do to solve them problem really is leave it on all the time I'm not sure I can justify the cost (sorry).

I have tried a factory reset already and it didn't help. Is there anything else you can think of?? (I am picking up a spare drive tonight and will try it with just 1 in just in case it is drive related).

Thanks
Andy

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Try the spare drive test for sure.

A failing PSU can create a lot of strange symptoms (including boot-up failures).  If you are in the US you could contact the support center on that (likely would be cheaper than per-incident support).  Outside the US they would likely point you to a PSU reseller, but still might be worth a try. 

Or just give it up, and replace it with an RN100 series.  That would be faster than the NV+, and certainly a reasonable backup choice for a duo v2.  US street price for an RN102 is about $120, so that should at set a ceiling for how much time/money you should invest.

Of course there are higher-end models if you want a performance boost.

Message 13 of 18
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Some more feedback:

So i took a spare 2TB drive (actually one that came with my second hand Ultra4) and put it in the NV+

Boot 1: Light 3 alternating with all 4 lights - 'OS image on NAND is corrupted' - the normal error

Boot 2: as boot1 - this is unusual, normally every other boot is fine

Boot 3: Lights 1 and 2 together alternating with all 4 lights - ERR: Bad Firmware

So I put the 4 original disks back in

Boot 1: Light 3 alternating with all 4 lights - 'OS image on NAND is corrupted' - the normal error

Boot 2: Fine

Boot 3: As boot1

Boot 4: Fine

This is the normal pattern, and this is what makes me think it isn't PSU etc... it's completely predictable

So I took disc 4 out, leaving discs 1-3 of the XRAID array in.

Boot 1: Fine

Boot 3: Fine

So.... I thought i was on to something!!! So I put the spare 2TB disc in slot 4 - it initialised and resync'd the array last night...... then I turned it off.....

Boot 3: As boot1

Boot 4: Fine

Aarrgghh.... harsh language was expressed!!!

Does this give any clues??

A

Message 14 of 18
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Further trials.....

Got an old 750MB disc - never used in NAS.

Boot 2: as boot1 - this is unusual, normally every other boot is fine

Boot 3: Lights 1 and 2 together alternating with all 4 lights - ERR: Bad Firmware

So I did another USB recovery with 4.1.14 - and interestingly last time I did it I got a failed... retry message on the screen before it was successfull. This time it just went through each stage without error.

3 further boots all fine.

So put original 4 discs back in.

Boot 2: Kernel Panic

Boot 3: Kernal Panic

This is new!! So I pulled disc 3 of 4... and it booted. Interestingly when I then put it back in, it didn't recongise it and started a resync - so ? its bad. So i've put the spare 2TB in slot 3 and it's resyncing.

I wonder if I actually have/had 2 issues - bad disc and bad EEPROM..

Will report!
A

Message 15 of 18
powellandy1
Virtuoso

I'm officially giving up!
In addition have tried another different disc. Replacing other discs. Putting original 256MB memory back and doing most of the above again. Using 4.1.8, 4.1.12 and 4.1.14.

I can sometimes get it to boot 3-4 times in a row fine, but after leaving it off for a while it's always back to LED 3/1-4 flashing.

I can only assume the EEPROM is damaged, but no idea why its only every other boot that fails.

A

Message 16 of 18
StephenB
Guru

It might be time to just retire this NAS.

Message 17 of 18
BikeHelmet
Aspirant

I had some OCZ DDR2 memory years ago that was unstable on first boot. All sorts of weird crash issues in the morning.

The trick was to power the computer on, go into the BIOS, then power it off. Power it on again and Windows would come up fine.

Tried out Memtestx86 - thousands of errors high in the memory, but only on first boot. Always passed otherwise.

It got RMA'd. In your case... you can't RMA NAND or EEPROM, or 1 port from a SATA controller. Time to move on?

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements