× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Logitech Media Server fails on Firmware 6.6.0 upgrade.

Johnc2wa
Aspirant

Logitech Media Server fails on Firmware 6.6.0 upgrade.

- RN102000 ReadyNAS 102 with two 3T Seagate NAS HDD drives.

- Upgraded recently to ReadyNAS OS 6.6.0, as prompted by alert. 

- Relevant app(s): Logitech Media Server (LMS) as found in "Available Apps:" Poussin-provided version.

Available: .deb files of LMS 7.9.x via http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?7.6/

Re: LMS Inoperable after upgrade to NAS OS 6.6.0 - Unable to reinstall LMS due to inexperience.

Recently, after being prompted that an upgrade was available for my ReadyNAS, I did so, resulting in version 6.6.0.  Afterwards, my Logitech Media Server  (LMS) (as provided in 'Available apps' from Poussin) no longer functioned (would not open).  Because I'm not well-experienced with my ReadyNAS, I then made the error of uninstalling the LMS, and it would seem, delete it from the available apps menu as well.

Using the previous ReadyNAS OS version, LMS (the Poussin version) worked great for me - better than directly using my iMac as server (with all the obvious advantages overall in using the ReadyNAS to do so).  I want to restore the ability to use LMS on my 102, but I fear that I've made a mess of things in trying to figure it out.  Can you help?

Note:  (the Pouissin LMS file originally available on my ReadyNAS is/was LMS 7.8) The latest Logitech Media Server version, LMS 7.9 is available as an "...arm.deb file", and and "...all.deb file (See: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?7.6/ ).

Using UPLOAD in the Apps menu of my ReadyNAS Admin page, I successfully uploaded both, but now I'm stuck as to how to proceed to install this version of LMS.  Forgive me my near-complete lack of know-how in these processes, but I really could use your help in straightening out the mess I've made. Perhaps I should have simply written a question when LMS stopped working after upgrading to 6.6.0. 20/20 Hindsight, eh?

My goal is simply to get LMS working again, whatever the viable version (the approved (?) Pouisson file, or using the LMS 7.9 .deb file(s)) - please help!  At the risk of complete redundancy, remember that I'm only marginilly experienced in these matters, so please simplify if possible.

Many, many thanks.

-Charlie from NC

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Logitech Media Server fails on Firmware 6.6.0 upgrade.

Hello Johnc2wa,

Have you checked and tried the app from the link below?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/Community-app-compatibility-with-ReadyNAS-OS-6-6-...

Welcome to the community!

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
Johnc2wa
Aspirant

JennC,

Thanks very much for your suggestion.  I had attempted to upload several of the latest Logitech Media Server (LMS) files in _arm.deb and/or _all.deb formats.  Most soon resulted in a "..successfully installed" message (*see example below), although even after using "refresh" and waiting 15 minutes+, the apps never appeared as available or installed... or at all.

I tried your suggestion above (thank you), and the Logitech Media Server NT (nastools-logitechmediaserver_7.9.0.b7dfc80-nt1_armel.deb) loaded and appeared on my Installed Apps page.  However, as had happened previously upon upgrading to OS 6.6.0, the app will neither turn ON nor LAUNCH; After sliding the OFF switch to ON and a short wait message, the image reverts to the OFF switch only.  Given that the link you referred me to is a list of "apps have been found incompatible with ReadyNAS OS 6.6.0 and removed from our available apps,"  and that I upgraded to OS 6.6.0, does that mean I'm just out of luck?  Or do I need to downgrade back to the previous OS? Can I /should I do so?

As I mentioned in my first post, these latest LMS software versions are available via http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?7.6/  .  These are the _arm.deb and _all.deb files I mentioned above which do not appear on the APPS pages when uploaded, despite messages indicating they installed correctly (see below).  Is there some Netgear blessing/authorization that must be made over such apps, and that is why they are made invisible when uploaded? (Or am I just doing everything wrong?!)  

If not, is there some other way for me to utilize LMS again on my ReadyNAS?  It was such a great success before I made the mistake of upgrading to 6.6.0.   For my purposes, I've been "downgraded!"

In any case, I deeply appreciate your help and/or advice.  Please advise me as to next steps if possible.  I'm eager to put my LMS back to work again!  Thats the main reason I have my ReadyNAS.

Thank you very much,

- Charlie

* Note: A few minutes after uploading the LMS app found on the slimdevices.com page noted, my ReadyNAS APP page provided the following alert in yellow highlight at the top of the page with time & date: "Application logitechmediaserver_7.9.0-1480516903_arm.deb is installed successfully." (No warnings or errors).  I'd hoped the app would then appear as an available option, but it never shows despite refreshing and waiting.  Have I done something incorrectly? Are there other methods to get this or another LMS app working on my RN102? 

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Try this one: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/Apps-by-NAStools/td-p/1065415

Though it might be best if you used ssh to manually uninstall the nightly build version first.

Message 4 of 7
HWStigter
Apprentice

Or try the instructions from this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/Logitech-Media-Server-by-Super-Poisson-not-compat...

It's a bit more work, but it works like a charm!

Sincerely,

Rik

Message 5 of 7
Johnc2wa
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion - I downloaded the file you indicated, but - as a complete novice - I am unsure as to how to appy this large file of information to my ReadyNAS.  Please give details. For example,  I'm sorry I don't understand your last sentence "Though it might be best if you used ssh to manually uninstall the nightly build version first."  You can see I'm a bit behind you in all this, and now lost.

Thanks again for your offer of usable information, I do appreciate it.

Message 6 of 7
Johnc2wa
Aspirant

Thanks HWStigter! That seems to have worked; don't ask me how.  I think I may have simply needed to wait for an appropriate working update to become available.  That or to have one of you kind people to point me to that working update.  Regardless, I am grateful for the help you all have given this newby.

Sincerely: Thank you.

- Charlie (aka Johnc2wa)

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements