× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS not showing under Network again after update to 6.4.1

quickly_now
Apprentice

Re: NAS not showing under Network again after update to 6.4.1

Unfortunately, there seems to be some blind-leading-the-blind going on at Microsoft.

The latest Insider Build 1511 (OS 14251.1000) is still broken.

It looks like an improvement happened a while back on the insider builds, then a reversion.

Since its been reported on the Microsoft forums there has been a deathly silence.

At this time, don't hold your breath.

-----------

For those who suggest the linux / unix world should fix things... thats OK for devices that are actively maintained, not much use for the many samba based products out there (millions of them) that get little attention. Microsoft have broken something, most likely through rushing out Windows 10 builds with inadequate testing. The communication channels to them so that they can understand their actions seem to be... not good.  And strangely for a large organisation that prides itself on the work it does for compatibility, you'd think that one or two people there would use a NAS... surely...

Message 26 of 32
CLHatch
Luminary

@quickly_now wrote:

Unfortunately, there seems to be some blind-leading-the-blind going on at Microsoft.

The latest Insider Build 1511 (OS 14251.1000) is still broken.

It looks like an improvement happened a while back on the insider builds, then a reversion.

Since its been reported on the Microsoft forums there has been a deathly silence.

At this time, don't hold your breath.

-----------

For those who suggest the linux / unix world should fix things... thats OK for devices that are actively maintained, not much use for the many samba based products out there (millions of them) that get little attention. Microsoft have broken something, most likely through rushing out Windows 10 builds with inadequate testing. The communication channels to them so that they can understand their actions seem to be... not good.  And strangely for a large organisation that prides itself on the work it does for compatibility, you'd think that one or two people there would use a NAS... surely...

Interesting, seeing as I'm on build 14251, and it IS working for me.

Message 27 of 32
StephenB
Guru

Working around Win10 flaws in Linux is probably not a good strategy, since Win10 itself is a moving target.

@quickly_now wrote:

Microsoft have broken something, most likely through rushing out Windows 10 builds with inadequate testing. 

Windows 10 is clearly using a different development process than older versions of windows (more rapid, and a very different update process).

I'd expect there will be some bumps in the Win10 road for a bit.

Message 28 of 32
quickly_now
Apprentice

Latest insider build of Win10 has it all sorted.

There *are* still issues with binding NetBIOS to ethernet interfaces (my issue in the end was 2 ethernet adapters, only one of which was bound to NetBIOS). Getting that sorted took a lot of doing - deleting teh ethernet adapter in device manager, and allowing it to be re-installed eventually sorted that out.

In the mainstream Win10, the fix is still not present.

Message 29 of 32
quickly_now
Apprentice

Well, I'm pleased to report that the March update for Win 10 has this fixed.

My NAS is now visible!

Message 30 of 32
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

FWIW, 6.5.0 Beta 2 now has WSD support in addition to NetBIOS.  So even it MS botches NetBIOS again (or if you run an IPv6-only network), we should still be discoverable. 🙂

Message 31 of 32
Chairface
Tutor

Thats great news thank you for the update.  This product keeps getting better and better.

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements