× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.5 Active Directory workaround

kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

ReadyNAS OS 6.5 Active Directory workaround

If you're having a problem with Active Directory in ReadyNAS OS 6.5.0, please perform the following:

1. Upgrade to 6.5.1 full (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30793/~/readynas-os-version-6.5.1)
  2. Leave Active Directory
  3. Rejoin Active Directory with "Trusted Domains" enabled.

Confirm in this thread if it resolves your issue.

If you're using Active Directory and using 6.4.2 or earlier, you should enable Trusted Domains before upgrading to 6.5.0, or just directly upgrade to 6.5.1 full. You won't need to enable Trusted Domains if you're coming from 6.4.2 or earlier and going to 6.5.1.

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
esbiete
Aspirant

Upgrading from 6.4.2 after downgrade from 6.5

I switched on "Trusted Domains" before upgrade to 6.5.1RC1. It take time but after the upgrade all users & groups appeared listed without problem. Following recommendation I unjoined domain (change to Local) and rejoined domain with "Trusted".

- Reload of users did not work (wheel running for more than 2 minutes for 23 users and 20 groups)

- After some minutes "Connecting to ReadyNAS Admin Page ..."

- After that I'm not able to view enter into main menu, so I entered SSH and manually force reboot

- UD users appeared by no shares: "No Volumes or USB Disks" (wheel always moving) -> but all information is there entering by console

- System -> Volumes : wheel moving but not showing anything. After some minutes, web interface reboots "Connecting to ..."

So not completely success upgrade.

I have backup everything and using another NAS for my users, so available for tests.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 2 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@esbiete wrote:

Upgrading from 6.4.2 after downgrade from 6.5

Downgrading to 6.4.2 is not supported. You should not have attempted such a downgrade.

Message 3 of 19
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

We don't technically support downgrading to 6.4.2 from 6.5.0 as notated on the release notes. That introduces other variables that potentially prevent certain things from working successfully.

• Devices updated with 6.5.0 firmware should not be downgraded to earlier firmware versions.

If your UI works, then send me the logs via PM. If your UI is not working, run # rnutil create_system_log -o /tmp/logs.zip        and send me them.

Message 4 of 19
Scirocco16V
Guide

Worked for me.

Model: RN31661D|ReadyNAS 316 6-Bay
Message 5 of 19
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@Scirocco16V wrote:

Worked for me.

Thanks for confirming! Can you tell us which path you took? (6.5.0 > 6.5.1, <6.4.2 > 6.5.0/6.5.1?) 

Message 6 of 19
Scirocco16V
Guide

6.4.2 (working) > 6.5.0 (broken) > 6.5.1 (fixed)

ReadyNAS 316

Message 7 of 19
jjmb
Aspirant

I am using a ReadyNAS 314, the user account replications seems to be working again and DNS load is back to normal.  However, I had/have per user Time Machine enabled.  This still is not working.

Message 8 of 19
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@jjmb wrote:

I am using a ReadyNAS 314, the user account replications seems to be working again and DNS load is back to normal.  However, I had/have per user Time Machine enabled.  This still is not working.

User account replications from AD?

What is "still not working"

Message 9 of 19
jjmb
Aspirant

User accounts and groups are replicating, however, per AD user account Time Machine fails now.  So when I log into Time Machine running on the ReadyNAS 314 my individual user account Time Machine is no longer accessible.  Also see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/Per-user-TimeMachine-does-not-work-after-6-5-6...

Message 10 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jjmb wrote:

User accounts and groups are replicating, however, per AD user account Time Machine fails now.  So when I log into Time Machine running on the ReadyNAS 314 my individual user account Time Machine is no longer accessible.  Also see:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-in-Business/Per-user-TimeMachine-does-not-work-after-6-5-6...

Seeing you are running into this issue on the beta, I moved that post into the beta forum. If you are encountering issues on current beta firmware (i.e. latest beta firmware which is also newer than the latest production firmware) you should always post in the beta forum unless told otherwise.

Message 11 of 19
esbiete
Aspirant

@mdgm-ntgr , @kohdee

Yes gestlemen, I know it's not supported and I use to read release notes carefully, always! 🙂

I tried many, many things before reviewing all logs in detail, permissions, trying to get more info from debug log of different process...downgrade was the latest attemp after I assure company data was on another NAS and available for my teammates. You will see some desperation in the logs I will send when I arrive at work 🙂 

As I mentioned to you, system is available for any test until I reset and send to one of our remote offices in Africa in few months.

Thank you !

Message 12 of 19
cs_giuseppe
Apprentice

Hi,

6.4.2 (working) > 6.5.0 (broken) > 6.5.1 (fixed)

ReadyNAS 316

ReadyNAS 104 #26967984

Giuseppe

Message 13 of 19
smokinokie
Star

Worked on two ReadyNAS 316's but would not work on the third one I have.

All three were from 6.5.0.

Message 14 of 19
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@smokinokie wrote:

Worked on two ReadyNAS 316's but would not work on the third one I have.

All three were from 6.5.0.

Maybe you can provide me some more insight about your third chassis via PM? Try sending me some logs and decsribing what you're experiencing. Thanks!

Message 15 of 19
garyd9
Virtuoso

Netgear is becoming annoying.... There's a bit of conflicting instructions and a lack of information...

First, in bright red (in the post for this RC):  

WARNINGS:

• Unless you are advised by NETGEAR Support in a support case to update to beta software, NETGEAR Support will deny support if you are running beta software. You can seek help here on the NETGEAR Community for issues encountered on the beta.

However, in this thread, it states "If you're having a problem with Active Directory in ReadyNAS OS 6.5.0, please perform the following:"  

Note that it doesn't say what KIND of problems.  So, does that mean ANY active directory related problem?  ADS import errors?  Unable to access "home" shares?  Anything?  As I have an open ticket (that is getting no response beyond the sound of crickets, and of course a forum thread that I keep replying.. to myself.. in), I'm certainly going to hope that netgear doesn't "deny support" after I upgrade to this (as I AM having AD issues - though I have NFC if they are the same issues that this RC is supposed to work around.)

It's very... very... frustrating.

Message 16 of 19
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@garyd9 wrote:

Netgear is becoming annoying.... There's a bit of conflicting instructions and a lack of information...

First, in bright red (in the post for this RC):  

WARNINGS:

• Unless you are advised by NETGEAR Support in a support case to update to beta software, NETGEAR Support will deny support if you are running beta software. You can seek help here on the NETGEAR Community for issues encountered on the beta.

However, in this thread, it states "If you're having a problem with Active Directory in ReadyNAS OS 6.5.0, please perform the following:"  

Note that it doesn't say what KIND of problems.  So, does that mean ANY active directory related problem?  ADS import errors?  Unable to access "home" shares?  Anything?  As I have an open ticket (that is getting no response beyond the sound of crickets, and of course a forum thread that I keep replying.. to myself.. in), I'm certainly going to hope that netgear doesn't "deny support" after I upgrade to this (as I AM having AD issues - though I have NFC if they are the same issues that this RC is supposed to work around.)

It's very... very... frustrating.

Sorry you're annoyed, but you don't have to upgrade to beta software if you don't want to. However, you'll continue to have an issue with Active Directory (if it isn't working for you after upgrading to 6.5.0) until we release the full software. Using beta firmware is at your own risk. 
This recommendation isn't coming directly from NETGEAR Support --  Community and the ReadyNAS Forums have always supported beta software. 

Message 17 of 19
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Message 18 of 19
JSGK
Aspirant

Hi,

We have a ReadyNas 3130.
With version 6.4.2 operating normally disabling the antivirus, but since I installed version 6.5.0 has worked increasingly worse. And now with version 6.5.1, they have not solved the problems.
These problems are always with the user and group synchronization with Active Directory. I have created groups in the AD for shared resources permissions and have problems accessing some users within these folders, and sometimes opens the file in read-only mode.
I tried to "reset permissions" and modify folders through Windows with administrator user (when no fault). It not always works. And it can also work and after a few hours it fails again.
There are many problems we are having, even after completely restore the server.
Do you know if they are developing an update to end these problems?

Thanks.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements