Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't download "public" files from ReadyCloud

gpaolo
Luminary

---if it can be of any help, I have just tried to generate the web link with email notification. 

I have tried to download a file from RC website and I get the usual xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<request moniker="/root/devices" method="upload" code="1">
<body type="download">
<guid>261672e7-c6bc-4d88-9bf5-df584237e03b</guid>
<value><![CDATA[/data/Gianpaolo/cartellone/cartellone.jpg]]></value>
</body>
</request>

When I open the weblink I get to a page saying "download cartellone.jpg", and the file I obtain is the same xml file with a different guid code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<request moniker="/root/devices" method="upload" code="1">
<body type="download">
<guid>9ffc4d09-a54a-443a-a916-7ef891cbef1b</guid>
<value><![CDATA[/data/Gianpaolo/cartellone/cartellone.jpg]]></value>
</body>
</request>

and I also receive the email saying that somebody has accessed to the file and downloaded it.

It may be also interesting noting that the preview of the file (a jpg) is working on the RC website.

Message 26 of 58
IanW
Tutor

Hi there - same issue for me. When downloading a file through ReadyCloud on Safari browser, it only downloads about 200-300kb. The file looks OK (in terms of icon etc), but will not open. We too have 'upgraded' to the latest ReadyNAS update. This is going to cause me huge problems, as I'm away from the office, and need to access files! Do we have any solutions on this? As I'm away, with very limited web access, I don't want to downgrade the system. 

Message 27 of 58
DBO
Tutor
Tutor

I'm having the exact same issue. RC works fine when on the same network, but can't download anything other than those stupid 1k XML fragments when I'm accessing it from a WAN. Hugely frustrating - need access to files for work and can no longer get them downloaded. I'm on a NAS312 with 6.5.1 firmware. I've tried Chrome, FF, IE, Edge, Android etc.  .. all of them are getting the same result. 

Something is obviously majorly broken in this firmware. NETGEAR, please support your small business community here - investigate and fix ASAP.  

Message 28 of 58
mrvincent
Aspirant

Just downgrade the firmware to previous version... 6.5.0...will work

Seriously, this is a joke... I guess NETGEAR really don't care about our end user experience... That's a MAJOR defect of this upddate, I'm curious to know if this 6.5.1 works fine for somebody.... WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  NEEDS 6.5.2 RIGHTT NOOWWW !

Message 29 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you still have this issue please send in an example 1KB file that you get. Send it in with your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)

Message 30 of 58
DBO
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for that. Downgrade to 6.5.0 saved my bacon. Crazy! This is the 2nd major critical failure we've endured due to fimware errors (other one was that major stuff-up with the virus scanner bringing the system to a crawl). Obviously the firmware testing needs to get a whole lot better Netgear or you'll loose a bunch of small business customers. I think I'll be sticking with 6.5.0 from now-on until the whole NAS gets replaced with something better.  

Message 31 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We do need more information to confirm what the problem is if you still have a problem.

If you still have this issue please send in an example 1KB file that you get. Send it in with your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)

Message 32 of 58
gpaolo
Luminary

Hi,

I have just sent you an email with five examples of the 1kb file.I can only send you the files right now because I cannot login to the NAS from here and I have no access to the logs, I will do it later if necessary (but I cannot recall any indication of the download attemps or any error in the logs previously).

Something has changed: now I can download images files (jpg and fit), but it seems that anything else is generating only the 1kb file.

Regards,

Gian Paolo

Message 33 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I hear from my colleagues that there is an issue downloading files with special characters in the filename that will be fixed in the next firmware release. Do all the problem files have special characters in the filename?

Message 34 of 58
gpaolo
Luminary

No, in the files I have sent to the email address there is just one with a special character, all the others have normal names.

Message 35 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can see underscores in most of the filenames.

Message 36 of 58
gpaolo
Luminary

Oh... I never considered the underscore as a special character.

Anyway, I am getting the 1k xml file also when there is no underscore, see for example the "ncdrill.log" file.

I have just tried to download four jpg with different names and I have noticed another strange thing.

From one location on one share (directory /foto/) I get the 1k file, while from another directory on the same share (/telescopio/) I get the correct file.

It is independent from the presence of the undescore. The file received as 1k xml are

DSC00682.JPG

IMG_0034.jpg

and the files received properly are:

CCD Image 53.jpg

Haic434-2_285W.02940.jpg

I don't think it is a problem of path either, the directory name is shorter when the download is not working.

Message 37 of 58
gpaolo
Luminary

Hi again, I have just checked the logs on the ReadyNas and there are no entry related to readycloud or anything else, except the daily backup and snapshot update.

Message 38 of 58
tomiaurednik
Tutor

I have the same problem, is there any solution other than rollback to 6.5. Please advise.

Br, 

Tomi

Message 39 of 58
cado73
Tutor

Hello,

I've the same problem. I've just updated to version OS6.5.2 and the problem is still there.

The problem seems to be present with some folders and not in other folders.

The problem is quite annoying since it prevents the usage of the nas from the external!!

BR

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 40 of 58
gpaolo
Luminary

I  confirm, the problem is still there also with 6.5.2. No change at all, as far as I have seen.

Is there any indication of where the problem is coming from? I find odd that it works if the PC is on the same network of the NAS. 

Could it be something related with some port that needs to be opened/routed to the NAS?

Message 41 of 58
mrvincent
Aspirant

Lol this is ridiculous... This is my first purchase from Netgear, I think that will be the last also.

I don't have the time to mess with "to update or not to update" I have hundreds of clients connected to that, this is the way I deliver final products from my photography compagny...

Issue still not fixed, seriously, noob compagny, I feel like I got scammed.

Message 42 of 58
gpaolo
Luminary

Well, to be honest, I have always found the support from Netgear and from this forum impressive. In other occasion they fixed remotely my NAS just after requesting help here, so I would not say that it is not a serious company.

In this specific situation I am a bit puzzled, since it is taking way too long to fix this bug, considering that we all know that it was working on 6.5.0 and it was not in 6.5.1, so with a decent change tracking it should be easy to find where the problem is coming from.

It is also possible that the problem is coming from a specific combination of network setup -that is why I was asking if it could be related with some specific port that should be routed to the NAS, I find odd that Readycluod is working on PC connected to the same NAS network. If it were a bug visible to everybody, I guess there would be more people requesting assistance here. 

But yes, I find this bug extremely annoying, I can imagine that if you have to use the NAS for work it must be a serious issue.

Message 43 of 58
cado73
Tutor

I don't think the problem could come from a network configuration since I have the problem on some folder and not in others.

IMHO the behaviour of the SW when you are on the same local network of the NAS or outsite is totally different so the bug could be present only from outside the LAN.

Message 44 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have more ReadyCLOUD changes in 6.6.0, so if you are willing you may wish to give ReadyNASOS 6.6.0 (RC1) a try, but do note that after upgrading to that you should not downgrade.

Message 45 of 58
gpaolo
Luminary

It is possible that it is as you say. 

What I was thinking is that in both cases we are trying to download files from a website, and in principle for the website interface there should be no difference if you are in or out the NAS network. The website forwards the request to the NAS. Then I can imagine two possible ways to implement the file transfer: the NAS sends the file through the server (and again, there should be no difference in this case) or the NAS establish a direct connection with the browser and the file is downloaded through it (and in this case, being or not on the same network could make a difference).

If the transfer is implemented in the second way, then the network configuration may have some impact in the behavior. And this would also explain why the preview of the images works (the information is going form the NAS to the server and back to you) and the download doesn't, for example. 

Anyway, as you say, it is not so straighforward. If you are able to download from some directory, there should be something else.

Message 46 of 58
gpaolo
Luminary

Thanks mdgm, I think I will wait for the official release of the 6.6.0 since downgrade then it would not be possible. 

Message 47 of 58
gpaolo
Luminary

I have found an interesting thing. 

The download is working from the Android application, while from ReadyCloud website is not. 

I don't know if this could give some clue...

Message 48 of 58
DanielBir
Aspirant

Hello,

I'm facing the same problem.

As I'm using ReadyCloud just occasionally, my workaround is to copy the file(s) I want to use to a readydrop folder synchronized with my dropbox. I can do this in ReadyCloud via an internet connection any time I want and access the files seconds later in my dropbox.

I know this solution isn't suitable for every scenario, but in some cases it may be better then just not being able to access the file(s).

Kind regards,

Daniel 

Message 49 of 58
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 50 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 57 replies
  • 3 kudos