Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Excess battery drain caused by RCloud iOS - Netgear should fix asap!!

sclubone
Aspirant

Excess battery drain caused by RCloud iOS - Netgear should fix asap!!

After unexpected high battery drain on both my iPhone and iPad, it transpires that RCloud iOS will remain active in the background (for hours...) unless force-quit. The app shouldn't be in the iOS store in this state, and I hope Netgear issue an update asap.

Message 1 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Excess battery drain caused by RCloud iOS - Netgear should fix asap!!

Hi sclubone,

Can you provide more information about your iOS devices? What is the iOS version of your iPhone and iPad? Also, are you using the latest or up to date ReadyCLOUD iOS mobile app?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 2 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sclubone,

I hope you can provide more information about your iOS devices. You may also want to check this similar thread about the issue that you posted.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 3 of 13
sclubone
Aspirant

Hi, it's the latest iOS version on both iPhone and iPad, and the latest ReadyCLOUD mobile app (as all of these are automatically updated). i.e. 9.3.2 iOS, and 1.5.8 (134) for the app.

I don't think the other thread is helpful as it relates to Android, but either way Netgear have serious problems if even the iOS app is broken in this serious way..

Message 4 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sclubone,

Well, it's not really the same but it's the same app running on a different platform or OS. I will check this with my colleagues and update this thread as soon as I get something.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 5 of 13
JohnNulty
Apprentice

I beg to differ Sclubone, it is the same app although running on different platforms (Paul_Thomas reported in the Andoid post discussion that he had issues with IOS on his iPhone and iPad) .  It seems that it is the same issue being reported, so it could be construed that the same error has been compiled across differnt OS's and platforms.  Quality control issue Netgear?

@BrianL2, surely by now you have something to report?  It has almost been 2 months since I alerted Nertgear to this issue.....Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 13
sclubone
Aspirant

The app has the same name, however as we know, the system permissions allowed to apps are much different between iOS and Android (e.g. sleep settings and permitted background functions) and I would be quite surprised if the source code is the same. The fact that an app with the same name on both platforms is causing battery drain issues could well be down to different reasons (with different mitigations currently available) though it is certainly a QA issue, in the meantime I have turned off 'Background App Refresh' on iOS though I am awaiting a proper remedy.

@JohnNulty wrote:

I beg to differ Sclubone, it is the same app although running on different platforms (Paul_Thomas reported in the Andoid post discussion that he had issues with IOS on his iPhone and iPad) .  It seems that it is the same issue being reported, so it could be construed that the same error has been compiled across differnt OS's and platforms.  Quality control issue Netgear?

@BrianL2, surely by now you have something to report?  It has almost been 2 months since I alerted Nertgear to this issue.....Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 13
sclubone
Aspirant

@sclubone wrote:

The app has the same name, however as we know, the system permissions allowed to apps are much different between iOS and Android (e.g. sleep settings and permitted background functions) and I would be quite surprised if the source code is the same. The fact that an app with the same name on both platforms is causing battery drain issues could well be down to different reasons (with different mitigations currently available) though it is certainly a QA issue, in the meantime I have turned off 'Background App Refresh' on iOS though I am awaiting a proper remedy.

@JohnNulty wrote:

The app has the same name, however as we know, the system permissions allowed to apps are much different between iOS and Android (e.g. sleep settings and permitted background functions) and I would be quite surprised if the source code is the same. The fact that an app with the same name on both platforms is causing battery drain issues could well be down to different reasons (with different mitigations currently available) though I agree it is certainly a QA issue, in the meantime I have turned off 'Background App Refresh' on iOS though I am awaiting a proper remedy.

Message 8 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JohnNulty & sclubone,

Haven't heard back from them yet. Let me discuss this with my other colleagues who can assist us with this issue.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sclubone & JohnNulty,

If I may ask, have you been taking or saving a lot of pictures while the app is running on the background?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 13
JohnNulty
Apprentice

Hi BrianL,

I'm old school - I use a camera to take my pictures, not my phone, so I can honestly say that I haven't been taking or saving a lot of pictures while the app ran in the background.  I believe that thinking the problem may be to do with the volume of data needing to be transferred is not the way forward - that is too simplistic (just my unscientific, non-coder opinion, of course Smiley Wink).

Cheers,

Message 11 of 13
sclubone
Aspirant

No. What do you think it has to do with the app, when iOS reports battery drain by app in any case (with they netgear app identified)? Thanks
Message 12 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi JohnNulty & sclubone,

Thanks for responding back. Let me forward this information to my colleagues to further investigate this issue that you've raised.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements