Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready Cloud not seeing new files added NAS 3312

trentvoigt
Aspirant

Ready Cloud not seeing new files added NAS 3312

I have a NAS 3312 running version 6.10.8 which says is latest version.    Originally, using Ready Cloud, users could see the folders but no files under the folders.   I finally blew away all the users, reset the privileges, reloaded the users and it was working.   However, now as files are added to the directories the users can not see the new files or any new folders added. 

When users come to the office they can see everything fine.

Ready Cloud is really useless if I have to reset all the users all the time so they can see new additions that were added.   It really defeats the purpose of remote workforce if they can't use the raid to grab files that are created by the office group.

I am open to suggestions.

Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready Cloud not seeing new files added NAS 3312

@trentvoigt wrote:

However, now as files are added to the directories the users can not see the new files or any new folders added. 

When users come to the office they can see everything fine.

This sounds like a file permissions problem for the shares.

Try going into the share page, and click the share settings wheel for one of the shares.  Navigate to file permissions, and then click on reset.  See if that resolves the problem for that share.

If it does, then try checking "grant rename and delete privileges..." on the security tab, and also "specify permission..." on the default access tab.

One thing to consider whether you think network access permissions alone provide enough security.  If people don't have ssh access to the NAS, IMO network access controls are enough. If you agree, then enable everyone read/write access on the file permissions page  Network access (share level permissions) access control settings still will be applied.

Note that if you change any file permission settings, you do need to click reset to recursively apply them to files and folders already in the share.

Message 2 of 9
trentvoigt
Aspirant

I clicked on RESET and it allowed access afterwards, but it did not solve the issue as new files after the RESET are in the same spot.   Both the grant rename and specify permissions are already checked.  

So unless the admin is there to reset every time a file goes in, this is not a working solution.

Trent

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@trentvoigt wrote:

So unless the admin is there to reset every time a file goes in, this is not a working solution.

The other thing I suggested was to give everyone read/write file permissions, and use only network access permissions to manage access.  

Message 4 of 9
trentvoigt
Aspirant

Everyone has read/write access to specific areas.   If they can see the share they have read/write.   Obviously, I can't give every user access to every area.  However, that is controlled by user to share privilege.   Currently if they have access to an area they have read/write.   However, obviously Ready Cloud doesn't recognize Read because they can't see anything.   

Obviously there is a bug somewhere or there would not be a "Reset" button.  

So what is the solution?

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Note that file permissions can also be set and changed by the owner/creator of the file/folder in Windows. So it's hard to say whether you are dealing with a ReadyNAS bug or not. (it's also one reason why I generally prefer to rely on network permissions alone).

Another complication with ReadyCloud is that users generally have two accounts - their ReadyCloud account, and their normal user account that is used when on-premise.  FWIW, I don't use ReadyCloud myself, I use OpenVPN for remote access.

I guess you could go with ssh, and examine exactly how the linux file permissions are set on the problem files/folders, and maybe also look at the samba configuration settings.

@trentvoigt wrote:

Everyone has read/write access to specific areas.   If they can see the share they have read/write.  

There are two sets of permissions - network access and file permissions.  Users need to have both to access a file in a share.

Generally network access is enough to manage who can access the share (and whether they have read-only access or read/write).  When that is the case, it is ok to set "everyone" read/write file permissions. 

@trentvoigt wrote:

If they can see the share they have read/write. 

Usually they can see all shares, whether they can access them or not.  The exception is the private "home" folders, which aren't really shares.

Message 6 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds to me that you have the local and ReadyNAS users as being parts of different groups.  I personally think that the whole basis of ReadyCloud where a local and remote user can't be the same is flawed.

IMHO, the best solution to this is to dump ReadyCloud in favor of a VPN system that doesn't require different logins for local and remote access (and different home folders, if you use them).  OpenVPN (most typically installed in a router) and ZeroTier (on the NAS) are good choices.  They act differently, so which way you go depends a lot on your use model.  I personally use ZeroTier, but it's just my family that has access.  If you ever migrate to another brand NAS, these options will also remain open to you, where ReadyCloud won't.  You don't have to stop using ReadyCloud just because you installed the other VPN.  They will work together (well, ReadyCloud at least as well as it is now) while users get used to the transition.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I personally think that the whole basis of ReadyCloud where a local and remote user can't be the same is flawed.

I agree with that, and personally don't think the level of service is good enough for business use.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Netgear apparently expects you to use ReadyCloud even for a local connection, so you always have the same user ID.  But that means you are always relying on Netgear's ReadyNAS server to establish the connection, even for an otherwise purely internal connection.  It seems to be a part of their "personal cloud" sales pitch, which I believe gives users a false sense of security that a NAS in their own possession and administration gives the same kind of reliability, security, and redundancy as a real cloud asset.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements