Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCLOUD Fails With Number Sign "#" In Folder Name

Lex600
Tutor

ReadyCLOUD Fails With Number Sign "#" In Folder Name

Business customers accessing our ReadyNAS RN716X machines via ReadyCLOUD were unable to download files from inside folders which had the number sign "#" in the folder names.

Although we had full access capability to the files locally on the LAN, remote access via ReadyCLOUD only allowed the files to be listed, not opened/downloaded.

Message 1 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyCLOUD Fails With Number Sign "#" In Folder Name

Hi Lex600,

Could you provide some screenshots while we check this on our end? Also tell us the Firmware version running in your unit.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 7
Lex600
Tutor

We are using firmware version OS 6.4.1 on RN716X machines.

Since we are regulated by FINRA, SEC and FTC cybersecurity rules, I cannot post actual screenshots. However, I will try to show the storage hierarchy seen by our remote business users:

Network ► ReadyCLOUD-IP-Addr ► ShareName ► FolderName-A ► #12-FolderName ► PDF-Files

The number sign "#" in #12-FolderName turned out to prevent the remote users from being able to download/open the PDF files contained in #12-FolderName. They could list the PDF files, but not perform any other functions.

This problem was frustrating to troubleshoot becase we could perform all functions on the PDF files when accessing them locally via the LAN, but not via ReadyCLOUD.

Once #12-FolderName was changed to 12-FolderName, everything worked normally.

Message 3 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Lex600,

Thanks for the detailed information that you've provided. We'll further investigate this problem.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Lex600,

This only happens when you are trying to download the files using our ReadyCLOUD web portal but using the windows desktop app on a PC works just fine. Let me raise and consult this to my colleagues.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 7
Lex600
Tutor

Thanks, Brian, for investigating this ReadyCLOUD web portal deficiency.

The ReadyCLOUD web portal is vital to our remote business clients. Many of whom use Apple MACs and even those with Windows PCs work in tightly controlled financial-business environments which prohibit the installation of unapproved apps. I hope that the web portal robustness will not be neglected in favor of the apps.

For now, the workaround of avoiding "#" in names suffices.

Message 6 of 7
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Lex600,

I've raised this to our team and currently waiting for an update. For the meantime, just leave the names of your share subfolders where it works or accessible through the ReadyCLOUD web portal. I'll keep you posted for updates.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements