Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCLOUD mac desktop app still unusable

Luthien
Aspirant

ReadyCLOUD mac desktop app still unusable

Hi,

once again, I tried if I would be so lucky today that I could actually use the ReadyCLOUD desktop app to connect to my ReadyNAS 102. 

Alas though! It still persists in stubbornly failing to connect and showing the NAS as "offline" even though I can definitely connect to it through the Finder app and can access the devices' browser admin page on my LAN as well. 

Also, interestingly and mystifyingly, the iOS ReadyCLOUD app that I have on the iPhone works just fine.

I tried downloading and installing a newer version, but in the settings page it seems I'm still staring at the same older 1.3 version from 2015. 

Here's a question: does ths ReadyCLOUD mac desktop app actually work for anyone at all? There seem to be an awful lot of topics here that collectively suggest that the answer is 'no', but you never know. 

If YES - how can I make it so that it works for me as well?

If NO - will there be one that actually works anytime soon?

OSX 10.11.5

MacBook Pro, Mid 2012

ReadyNAS 102 is on the same LAN, can connect via the Finder and via the browser interface.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Luthien
Aspirant

Re: ReadyCLOUD mac desktop app still unusable

FIXED!!!

thanks a million to Deniro, who suggested I unregister with the existing ReadyCloud account and register with a new one, because he saw some permission-related messages in the log files.

Needless to say I'm really happy with this! I can now see the shares in the readycloud online cloud app and in the desktop app:

ReadyCLOUD app works.jpg

ReadyCLOUD online works.jpg

Absolutely brilliant 🙂

Everyone thanks for their suggestions!

Heart Woman Very Happy

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 18

All Replies
dschwartzer
Luminary

Luthien:

I am a Mac user and have successfully been using the ReadyClaoud desktop app for several months.  Given that the iOS version of the app is wprking correctly, my guess is that there is a prefernce for the desktop app that is still in your system and therefore a re-install of the app does not change that preference.

I would suggest trying a complete manual uninstall of the ReadyCLOUD app from your Mac, including any preference or application support files.  After that, restart the Mac, do a fresh install of the desktop app and see if that works.  Here are some steps you can follow to do a complete uninstall.

Step 1.

Head to the user’s library folder (in OS X Lion and above, hold down the Option key while selecting the “Go” menu from the Finder’s menu bar and select “Library”). Navigate to Library and then detect folders named /Preferences/, /Caches/, /LaunchAgents/, /Application Supports/.

Step 2.

Enter preferences, caches and application support folders individually to find out any associated files of ReadyCLOUD

Step 3.

Move the related files to the Trash.

Step 4.

Clean up ReadyCLOUD icons from your DOCK. Right click the icon on your Dock, click “Option” and select “Remove from Dock”.

Step 5.

Select “Secure Empty Trash” to totally erase the useless files right away.

You can try to restart your Mac OS X system for the changes to take effects. Now ReadyCLOUD should be removed completely from your Mac.

Hope this helps.

David

Message 2 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

Hey thanks! I hadn't thought of trashing the prefs files. I'll try that!
Message 3 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

Well, I trashed all the preference files and other netgear- or readycloud-related stuff in the Library folders on the user- and root level; restarted the machine, but to no avail. 

What happens is that the ReadyCLOUD widget in the top bar of the screen seems to recognise the device and then tries to log into it using my readycloud.netgear.com account that I upgraded before the summer according to the instructions that were mailed. 

Just to make sure: logging into that account in the widget itself is no problem. But it does not actually connect to the NAS: it tries for some time and then lists the device greyed-out, as offline. 

When I try to access my page on readycloud.netgear.com I can see my device there as well after I had make it discoverable by pressing the backup button for 5 seconds. But apart from that, there's little else on those Home | Manage | Discover tabs: no shares or anything that can be "managed" as on my local browser admin page.

So maybe that's not working completely as it should, but because I don't know what it should look like I can't really tell. 

I also considered if there might be a mix-up between the users and accounts associated with the NAS itself and whatever I use for Netgear and ReadyCLOUD, though as I can see on the LAN accessible admin interface, there are two user accounts: one admin and one that I use to connect to the unit from my machine via SMB or AFP; and one Cloud User (type ReadyCloud). 

Lastly, I checked for possible errors in the console app. There was one error reported: 

17/09/16 20:12:20,899 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager deviceConnectionFinished:error:] :{
NetworkID = 3843424;
NetworkName = "nas-36-9A-9D_zzzzzzzzzzzzz's zzzzzzzzzzzblahblah";
NetworkOwner = "nas-36-9A-9D_zzzzzzzzzzzzz";
OpResult = 1;
ServerIP = "5.205.176.182";
UserAlias = Beleriand;
userId = "nas-36-9A-9D_zzzzzzzzzzzzz";
} (null)

though after that there are a few that don't look like errors: 

17/09/16 20:12:20,899 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager userId] return user:luthien
17/09/16 20:12:20,899 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager isDeviceConnected:]
17/09/16 20:12:20,905 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager deviceIP:]
17/09/16 20:13:02,704 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager userId] return user:luthien
17/09/16 20:13:02,704 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager isDeviceConnected:]
17/09/16 20:13:02,707 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager deviceIP:]
17/09/16 20:38:38,081 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager userId] return user:luthien
17/09/16 20:38:38,081 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager isDeviceConnected:]
17/09/16 20:38:38,084 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager deviceIP:]
17/09/16 20:39:00,194 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager userId] return user:luthien
17/09/16 20:39:00,194 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager isDeviceConnected:]
17/09/16 20:39:00,197 ReadyCLOUD[405]: -[LeafManager deviceIP:]

- everytime I click the retry symbol in the ReadyCLOUD widget it adds three of those.

That's as far as I can come for now. Does this make sense to anyone?

Message 4 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

I found more interesting logs on the NAS itself. Here's some snippets from what I think is relevant: 

From readycloud.log:

Sep 17 22:15:15 Beleriand rcbrokerd[23525]: handler.cpp:1513 ERROR [syscmd:execute]: ACCESS DENIED for SYS: operation=initlocalsession login=my@emailaddress is_owner=0 is_rc=0
Sep 17 22:15:16 Beleriand rcbrokerd[23529]: handler.cpp:61 ACCESS DENIED for NML: login=lmy@emailaddress is_owner=0 is_rc=0
Sep 17 22:15:16 Beleriand rcbrokerd[23531]: handler.cpp:61 ACCESS DENIED for NML: login=my@emailaddress is_owner=0 is_rc=0

(that last one repeated many times, and my@emailaddress stands for the actual ReadyCloud login mail address)

And from systemd.journal.log, quite a few instances of this line: 

Sep 17 22:17:24 Beleriand rcbrokerd[26880]: handler.cpp:61 ACCESS DENIED for NML: login=my@emailaddress is_owner=0 is_rc=0
Message 5 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

Anyone?
Message 6 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your email address longer than 32 characters?

Message 7 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

hi, no, it's 22 characters.

Message 8 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

update: there was a problem updating the firmware of the Airport that served as wifi router so I had to fall back to using the MediaAccess TG789bvn modem / router.

I connected the RN102 to that and though things still seem to work the same, I was wondering if I needed to enable uPnP on the router as well in order for ReadyCLOUD to work properly?

It is enabled on the RN102 but I noticed that it was not enabled in the router. I switched it on now, but it seems as if I also need to define an application entry in the router admin pages, setting things like port range, "translate to", protocol. trigger protocol and trigger port - which I'm afraid I have no idea of what it should be.

Firmware 6.5.2

OSX 10.12 / iOS 10.02

MacBook Pro, Mid 2012

ReadyNAS 102 is connected to the LAN by ethernet to a  via an Apple Airport that also functions as LAN wifi router MediaAccess TG789bvn modem / router

+ Admin page access via browser is fine. 

- ReadyCLOUD for mac os always shows RN102 offline

+ / - ReadyCLOUD for iOS too slow for video playback

+ / - CIFS / SMB and AFP both work when connecting via the Finder, though often too slow to be useful (navigating / listing directories takes very very very long) 

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 9 of 18
StephenB
Guru

You shouldn't need to forward ports with ReadyCloud (and it shouldn't depend on upnp being enabled in the router either).

Message 10 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 11 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

Hi,

I just sent them!

Thanks

Luthien

Message 12 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

Thanks, StephenB.

Message 13 of 18
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is it working now that the corrupt config file has been fixed and your system has been updated to 6.6.0?

Message 14 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

I haven't been able to test it with the laptop, but in any case the iOS app seems much responsive!

But I'm confused re. the system update: I checked just a few days ago for an update, and none was available.

Any idea how the config file got corrupted? Is there any documentation about that, so that I could possibly fix it myself the next time?
Message 15 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

I now did some tests on the laptop. 

Accessing the file system on the NAS with SMB via the finder: listing directories and playing back video files definitely seems to be faster than before though video playback still stutters now and then.

The Readycloud app still shows the NAS offline though Smiley Sad

Could it maybe be related that I get "No volumes or USB disks" when logging in on 

readycloud.netgear.com? The device shows up, but that's about all (see screen capture)

readycloud.netgear.com - no volumes.jpg

Message 16 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

FIXED!!!

thanks a million to Deniro, who suggested I unregister with the existing ReadyCloud account and register with a new one, because he saw some permission-related messages in the log files.

Needless to say I'm really happy with this! I can now see the shares in the readycloud online cloud app and in the desktop app:

ReadyCLOUD app works.jpg

ReadyCLOUD online works.jpg

Absolutely brilliant 🙂

Everyone thanks for their suggestions!

Heart Woman Very Happy

Message 17 of 18
Luthien
Aspirant

PS  maybe it helps someone else with a similar issue, but the account that had the permission problems was an old readycloud account that was upgraded to a MyNETGEAR account before last summer. Maybe something went wrong in that process, who knows. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements