Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyCloud signin

bhague01
Aspirant

ReadyCloud signin

Ready Cloud has been working well in the past, but I have been out of action in recent weeks.

When I came back to use the laptop with the ReadyCloud client installed, I have first had some issues with a .pst not working message, which I don't really understand.

I then had trouble logging in, with my password not being recognised, although I have not changed it (and I have a written record of it).

I have tried upgrading the client software from version 1.2, as advised on the site.  But although a "new" version is downloaded and runs, the version number stays at 1.2 and I still cannot use my email address and password as before.

I am not sure what to do to keep and access the data on the cloud.

You will realise that I am not a computer whiz!

Will someone kindly advise?

Many thanks

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
bhague01
Aspirant

Re: ReadyCloud signin

Hi StephenB

Thank you.  I think we are sorted!  Everything is now accessible - hurrah!

I am now using the IP addresses to identify both the source and the endpoint of the FreeFileSync program, and all appears to be working fine again.

I have learnt some things about the various technical terms, which are not always well explained, as well as the importance of careful use of syntax.

I still don't understand why things went wrong in the first place, but all is well that ends well.

We should probably entitle this conversation "The case of the missing T: drive"!

I am very grateful to you for your time and input.  I would like to have given you a lot more kudos, which I only noticed at the end.

I am sure you will be a great help to many more folk, who come looking for it!

Cheers and very best wishes

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 26

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@bhague01,

Kindly try to completely uninstall the ReadyCloud Client app then reinstall its latest version in your laptop.  Check if it will solve the problem.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

@DaneA wrote:

@bhague01,

Kindly try to completely uninstall the ReadyCloud Client app then reinstall its latest version in your laptop.  Check if it will solve the problem.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Thanks for that, DaneA.  I am now able to access my ready cloud data on the NAS once again.  Whew!

On a related matter, however, I have had a backup system set up for my music which stores the data on the NAS as a mirror to a separate hard disc, attached wirelessly.

When I came to back-up again after recovering my access to ReadyCloud, it asked me for a password to the NAS.  I had thought that I had changed the NAS password to my ReadyCloud password, but that appears not to be the one the system (W10 64bit) is asking for.  How can I recover _that_ password to make the system work once again?  I did try entering a new password in the Credential Manager, but that did not work.

Any further suggestions?  Should I be posting this elsewhere?

Cheers

Message 3 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@bhague01 wrote:

When I came to back-up again after recovering my access to ReadyCloud, it asked me for a password to the NAS.  I had thought that I had changed the NAS password to my ReadyCloud password, but that appears not to be the one the system (W10 64bit) is asking for.  How can I recover _that_ password to make the system work once again?  I did try entering a new password in the Credential Manager, but that did not work.

First try logging into https://nas-ip-address/admin, so you can be sure that you know the NAS admin password. Use the real IP address of the NAS of course.  Don't use ReadyCloud for this test.

Is the backup using the NAS admin account credentials, or have you created a user account? 

Also, I suggest using two account credentials - one set up for the NAS hostname, and the other set up for the NAS IP address.  If you haven't reserved the IP address for the NAS in your router, then I recommend doing that too.

Message 4 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Thanks, StephenB

I logged into the NAS admin as suggested, using the appropriate password (which is also the ReadyCloud password, as it happens).

I then accessed the backup app, using these credentials, and got the following:

Windows Security

Enter network credentials

Enter your credentials to connect to: MYNAS

bill.xxxxx@xxxxxxx

Tick - Remember my credentials

Access is denied

More choices

I have not created a user account as far as I know.

Can you please clarify about using two account credentials?  Do you mean for the back up program?  Is this where I click on "More choices" and add the IP address as an option?

I have now reserved the IP address for the NAS in the router: do I now need to delete it from the Client list, or does that stay as is?

Apologies for my ignorance!

Bill

Message 5 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@bhague01 wrote:

I have not created a user account as far as I know.

Then you either need to use the NAS admin account credentials or you need to create a NAS user account. FWIW, it is better security to not use the NAS admin account for access. 

Your Microsoft logon will not work for this. I don't think your ReadyCloud credentials will work either, unless you are accessing via ReadyCloud.

@bhague01 wrote:

I have now reserved the IP address for the NAS in the router: do I now need to delete it from the Client list, or does that stay as is?

You can leave it as it is.

@bhague01 wrote:

Can you please clarify about using two account credentials?  Do you mean for the back up program? 

There are two ways your PC can access the NAS.  You can use the NAS hostname (MYNAS in your case), or you can use the IP address.  As far as Windows is concerned, they are two different PCs.  So if you store a credential for MYNAS it won't be used when you access the NAS using its IP address.  So I recommend adding a credential for the IP address as well as the hostname.

I don't know what backup program you are using.  Some simply use the credentials stored in the credential manager.  But there are some that configure/store their own credentials (Acronis TrueImage is the one I use, and it does have it's own credential store).

Message 6 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Thanks, StephenB

I have created two new users within the admin page, BH (email address X@X) and bhague01 (email address Y@Y: which is an alias to my standard Z@Z address).

However, the Windows Security login window which pops up for the mirroring program does not like either of these options - "Access denied". 😞

I have checked that the Win10 Credential Manager has accepted both these options: all OK, except that, in both cases, the password is given as ********, rather than **********, as I might have expected, given that in both instances it is a 10 character length.

I was wondering if reinstalling the software could be done without affecting the stored files?

I look forward to your further illumination!

Cheers

Message 7 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@bhague01 wrote:

I have created two new users within the admin page, BH (email address X@X) and bhague01 (email address Y@Y: which is an alias to my standard Z@Z address).

Don't post your email addresses publicly.  Posting them here just creates more work for me (since I am redacting them).

@bhague01 wrote:

Thanks, StephenB

However, the Windows Security login window which pops up for the mirroring program does not like either of these options - "Access denied". 😞

You are using the NAS account names (BH, bhague01) in the Windows Credential?  The email format won't work.

You might need to reboot the PC to get those credentials applied.

You can also try this test:

Run CMD (type it into the windows search bar).

Then enter these commands into the text box:

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename user:bhague01 userpassword

using the real IP address, password, and a real sharename.

The first command will end any open SMB sessions on the PC.  The second attempts to mount the share as drive letter T.

Be very careful with the typing - particularly the two different slashes used in those commands.

Message 8 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Hi again StephenB, and thanks.

I followed your instructions and had the following result (I have redacted the password):

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use * /delete /y net use t: \\192.168.1.100\bhague01 **********
The syntax of this command is:

NET USE
[devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
[/USER:[domainname\]username]
[/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
[/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
[/SMARTCARD]
[/SAVECRED]
[/REQUIREINTEGRITY]
[/REQUIREPRIVACY]
[/WRITETHROUGH]
[[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

It looks as though your suggested syntax was not what was required, or have I missed something?

I look forward to your further comments.  (May not be till after the weekend now before I reply)

Cheers

Message 9 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@bhague01 wrote:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net use * /delete /y net use t: \\192.168.1.100\bhague01 **********

I gave you two different commands (on different lines!).  You can't enter them as one command.

The typing really matters here, CMD is not forgiving on mistakes.

Message 10 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Thanks, StephenB

I tried what you suggested, using the syntax: net use t: \\192.168.1.100\B2music user:Bill ******** for the second command, first without the preceding command, second with previous  net use * /delete /y command, and there was no t: drive to be seen, either before or after a reboot.

I have checked in the folder for the program but could not see an obvious credentials subfolder.

I have just rechecked the Win10 Credentials manager: oddly, the IP address credential for the NAS had a combination username, which does not appear in the User list on the Admin page of the ReadyNAS, but is an amalgam of the bhague01 username and the second part of the email address.  I was about to delete that user name on the Admin page, but thought I would get your advice first.  I have just disabled it for the moment.

The MYNAS credential is currently applied to my (correct) gmail address.

Your thoughts and further suggestions appreciated.  I am very confused!

Message 11 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@bhague01 wrote:

The MYNAS credential is currently applied to my (correct) gmail address.

Which is wrong. It should be using one of your NAS user account names.  The email address in the NAS account setup is not the username.  The entry in Name field is the username (BH or bhague01).  That is what should be in the Windows credential, and also is the username you should be using in the net use command.

@bhague01 wrote:

I have just rechecked the Win10 Credentials manager: oddly, the IP address credential for the NAS had a combination username, which does not appear in the User list on the Admin page of the ReadyNAS, but is an amalgam of the bhague01 username and the second part of the email address. 

Might be something you accidentally did before.  You can either edit the credential or delete it and make a new one.  No need to change the account on the NAS.

Also (something I should have said earlier) - you need to be creating windows credentials, not web or generic credentials in the Credentials manager.

@bhague01 wrote:

I have checked in the folder for the program but could not see an obvious credentials subfolder.

I don't know what you mean by this.  What program???  

@bhague01 wrote:

I tried what you suggested, using the syntax: net use t: \\192.168.1.100\B2music user:Bill ******** for the second command, first without the preceding command, second with previous  net use * /delete /y command, and there was no t: drive to be seen, either before or after a reboot.

T would disappear after a reboot.

Since you weren't using the right username, it's not surprising it didn't work - likely there was an error reported after you entered it.

Message 12 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thanks for your patience!

I have now edited the Windows (never the Web!) credentials for both MYNAS and for 192.168.1.100, giving the first the BH username and the second the Bill username, for clarity of understanding.

I then ran the net use * /delete /y command, which produced the response:

You have these remote connections:

Z: \\BRENNANB2\music
    Continuing will cancel the connections.

The command completed successfully.

(The BRENNANB2\music is the source folder I have been trying to mirror.)

I then ran the net use t: \\192.168.1.100\B2music user:Bill ******** command, which produced the syntax message, as previously.

I checked the Network page in Explorer and there was no T: drive.

I reran the net use * /delete /y command, which produced the response

There are no entries in the list

And then ran the net use t: \\MYNAS\B2music user:BH ******** command command, which again produced the syntax response, and again there was no T: drive.

In relation to your query as to "What program?", I was meaning the mirroring program that I have been trying to use: I thought I would look in its program folder for any suggestion of a specific credentialling option, as you had earlier suggested that some programs have.

Thanks for clarifying about the transient nature of the (as yet non-existent) T drive.

So now I have the correct usernames and the correct sharenames, I believe!  And I have used the correct commands (though the fact that I got back a syntax message on both occasions makes me worried that there is still something I am not doing correctly!).

What can I try next?

Cheers

Message 13 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@bhague01 wrote:

I then ran the net use t: \\192.168.1.100\B2music user:Bill ******** command, which produced the syntax message, as previously.

The syntax is

net use t: \\192.168.1.100\B2music /user:username password 

Looks like you are missing a slash in front of user (the opposite slash from the ones in the path to the share).

@bhague01 wrote:

In relation to your query as to "What program?", I was meaning the mirroring program that I have been trying to use: I thought I would look in its program folder for any suggestion of a specific credentialling option, as you had earlier suggested that some programs have.

Got it. What mirroring program are you using?

Message 14 of 26
Sandshark
Sensei

@bhague01 wrote:

Any backup (or other) program that stores user network credentials in plain text anywhere is unsecure and should never be used.  I doubt your program does that, so you need to look somewhere within the options of the running program itself for where to add the credentials.

BTW, the Windows Credential Manager does encrypt the credentials, it just automatically encrypts/unencrypts them for you when you are logged in.

Message 15 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Thank you, Sandshark, for clarifying that.

StephenB and I had been in conversation about entering credentials, and for interest, not being a programmer!, I had thought I would just sniff around check in the folder of the program I had been having difficulty with, while realising that the issue was likely to be with how I was using the Win10 credential manager.

Cheers

Message 16 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Thanks, StephenB!  That would explain why the syntax message came back!  I have to say that I find the instructions rather confusing, so I just followed your initial guidance (though not exactly, as you have already pointed out! 🙂 ).

I will now make the necessary change, including the /, and report back.

Message 17 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Hmm!  After making the change, I ran the new command and got back:

System error 86 has occurred.

The specified network password is not correct.

I rechecked the password in Credential Manager: still only ******** in length, so I reentered and retried the command.  Still the same.

So I went back to the admin page for the NAS, where the same ******** was shown. So I reentered the password, and this time got the response:

Hurrah! 

However, there is still no T: drive shown in the network explorer page!!

Now what?

Thanks again for your patience!

Message 18 of 26
StephenB
Guru

@bhague01 wrote:

However, there is still no T: drive shown in the network explorer page!!

When you are looking at "This PC", you don't see the T drive under "Devices and Drives"???

Message 19 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

No. 
The NAS is there, but not as a T drive.
Odd!

Message 20 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Interestingly, I just retried the net use * /delete /y command, which produced the response:

T: \\192.168.1.100\B2music

So obviously, the T: drive is being recognised by the system, but not by Win10!

Is my logic correct?

Message 21 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

PS  The mirroring program is FreeFileSync from https://freefilesync.org/

Message 22 of 26
StephenB
Guru

I guess the main question now is whether the NAS files are accessible from windows explorer.  If it is, then the missing T drive just an oddity.

@bhague01 wrote:

Interestingly, I just retried the net use * /delete /y command, which produced the response:

T: \\192.168.1.100\B2music

If you want to pursue this, then enter those two commands again, then follow up by entering this 

dir T:

You should see the files/folders in the root of the B2music share listed in the cmd window.

Message 23 of 26
bhague01
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Thank you.  I think we are sorted!  Everything is now accessible - hurrah!

I am now using the IP addresses to identify both the source and the endpoint of the FreeFileSync program, and all appears to be working fine again.

I have learnt some things about the various technical terms, which are not always well explained, as well as the importance of careful use of syntax.

I still don't understand why things went wrong in the first place, but all is well that ends well.

We should probably entitle this conversation "The case of the missing T: drive"!

I am very grateful to you for your time and input.  I would like to have given you a lot more kudos, which I only noticed at the end.

I am sure you will be a great help to many more folk, who come looking for it!

Cheers and very best wishes

Message 24 of 26
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad everything is working for you now. Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation